for the genre id go with a LP, but depending on your amp and budget, its your call.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
I'd personally go for the tele, but that's just because I looove the neck pups and the lighter weight. Trust me, Les Pauls are AWESOME, but they suck to wear a shoulder strap with for a long time.
Quote by TK1
for the genre id go with a LP, but depending on your amp and budget, its your call.

hmm really? i would've figured for his genre the fender would be better suited. they're both pretty sweet guitars but ive heard some horror stories about the studio. so go with the tele. imo.
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Norma Jean uses les pauls sometimes... and thats part of your name. Besides that you would have to put a new pickup in the tele and even then wouldn't sound near as good as the LP
i think the lp is better for that style because it sounds better with distortion an its thicker sounding too but its all personal preferance i use a jagmaster and ibanez gio ( the sg looking one ) any thing will work as long as its not acoustic
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Also think of the wood it's made of. The LP is mahogany which will give the nice thick tone most used in those genres. The alder in the tele would work too but the LP will naturally sound better for that.
go with the les paul. i can tell you from my having owned one similar to that one for 2 years that its better than any telecaster.
Quote by Fzau
Wait.. you had sex thirty seconds ago and now you're in The Pit?
... you sir, are sick...

Quote by timeconsumer09
Quote by ThatGuy177
I can play bass.
That's not a useless talent.
It's just useless.

I would go Tele, I personally don't own one, but I think you'd be more pleased with a Tele.

I think I'm a die hard Fender lover...so their may be bias...

I've always wanted a Gibson, but I think Fender gives you more bang for your buck.
seriously use google. Millions of people asked this before. If A les Paul was good enough for Jimmy Page, Slash etc its good enough for me.
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
Id go for the LP. ^^ everyone basically stated why it would fit the the genre you looking for. If you live near a Guitar Center or something why not go try both guitars out? I own a Les Paul and I love it to death but as much of a Gibson fan as I am I do like the way some Fender guitars play. Yeah anyway this is all my opinion go LP and be happy.
I like the sound of LP's a lot more. Something about the Fenders pickups having no contact with the wood bothers me. They're attached to the pick guard itself.
Quote by brownsfan456
seriously use google. Millions of people asked this before. If A les Paul was good enough for Jimmy Page, Slash etc its good enough for me.

Ya, buuuuut, Jimmy used the Tele for all his studio work. And the Gibby for his live stuff.
Quote by schecter ftw
Studios are not all that good for the price, you could get better.

I'd say the tele.

Firstly untill you own a gibson you shouldn't talk. I have owned Fenders and Ibanezs and I can tell you from experience once you go Gibson you'll never look back. I bought this Cherry Red Studio put Zakks EMG pick ups in it and all I can say is WOW! Damn it it doesn't sound like a freakin' dream!

Pics,

Before EMG's it sounded very bluesy. It was very nice but I want to play metal wit it so EMG's it was
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio EMG 81/85

Amp:
Roland Cube 30

Pedals:
Boss DD-7
Boss ML-2
Boss OS-2
Boss NS-2
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by brownsfan456

A Tele was good enough for Page too, all of Zep 1 was played on a Tele through an old 3 watt Champ. Slash doesn't even use real Gibbys. If you want a Gibby you definitely need to try before you buy. Most are duds.

EDIT: Damn. Beaten again!

Quote by The Mailman 666
Firstly untill you own a gibson you shouldn't talk. I have owned Fenders and Ibanezs and I can tell you from experience once you go Gibson you'll never look back. I bought this Cherry Red Studio put Zakks EMG pick ups in it and all I can say is WOW! Damn it it doesn't sound like a freakin' dream!

I've got two Gibbys and I will definitely go back to a Strat eventually. Gibby's give close to no bang for your buck. You could get a Suhr for less than a Gibby.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Feb 2, 2009,
Everyone just assumes that since a LP has humbuckers, it sounds better distorted. The tele will give you a very unique tone, and it'll set you apart from others. Go try them both out and see what you think.

Oh, and I have a Gibson SG but still went for a Fender Tele after that.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Last edited by Sid McCall at Feb 2, 2009,
Apples and oranges, dude.

Just go try them out and whatever you like best, get it!
Gear:
Fender Mexican Standard Strat(Sunburst, Rosewood, Custom Shop '69 pickups)
Fender Super Champ XD
EHX Big Muff Pi
Yamaha Acoustic
Alvarez Silver Anniversary Acoustic
For the genre you def have to go with the LP, unless you play alot more lead and really love Telecasters for some reason, and have a good amp and some nice effects.
Quote by gilbs73
Apples and oranges, dude.

Just go try them out and whatever you like best, get it!

I agree, they are two very different animals. I just fell in love with one over the other. You need to decide for yourself what you like better.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio EMG 81/85

Amp:
Roland Cube 30

Pedals:
Boss DD-7
Boss ML-2
Boss OS-2
Boss NS-2
Ibanez TS-9
For these genre's, I'd play a Tele ANY day of the week over an LP. The bite is much more suited and they are real workhorses.

Also, you can get a MiA Tele for the same price as a bottom end Gibson, which will, more than likely, blow it out the water. I've played so many nice MiA's, they are pretty sweet value for money.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay