what are some nice funk chords? ones that both sound funky and have easy/smooth ways of embellishing them in similar ways of the hendrix chords. currently, i'm funking around with major/minor, 7#9, major 7th, minor 7th, 7th, and simply octives. any other chords i could add to my little list so to speak? any videos/lessons that can help with embellishing these chords?
An Em7 chord on the 12th fret sounds funky as well.

It's just getting that funk rhythm into the groove. And maybe a wah pedal would do wonders.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Quote by Zanon
some 13th chords sound quite funky higher up the neck

+1
my favorite voicing/way to fret a 13th chord is this:

e--x--
B--9--
G--8--
D--7--
A--x--
E--7--

thats B13
i love it.
i think that chord sounds good substituting a 7th chord in any situation.
(instead of B7, play that, B13)

of course if you think about it technically its actually a B7add13 with no 5th.....
but why complicate things
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Last edited by musicTHEORYnerd at Feb 2, 2009,
major and minor ninths? most drop 2 voicings on the top set of strings sound funky if the rhythm is right
Quote by tehREALcaptain
major and minor ninths? most drop 2 voicings on the top set of strings sound funky if the rhythm is right

whats drop 2 mean?
is it some sort of inversion?
im confused
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
9ths, 11ths and 13ths all sound funky. Experiment with voicings, some will give you the sound you're after far more than others.
Quote by michal23
9ths, 11ths and 13ths all sound funky. Experiment with voicings, some will give you the sound you're after far more than others.

+1

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.