My pick up's batteries just ran out today. This is the first time I will ever change pick ups so I need help. I am already set on getting an EMG 81 in the neck position. But I want a bridge pickup that has amazing cleans. What should I get in the bridge position for great clean tones? Or should I just buy the Zakk Wylde EMG 81/85 set? I don't want to spend over $200 but if those are worth it, then I guess I should.
say wha? I'm not quite sure you understand the way this works...
either you already have active pickups or you're just lost. which is it?
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Wait, do are you replacing the pickups because the batteries ran out? I'm not really clear on that part. The EMG 85 works better on the neck. I wouldn't recommend any EMGs for bridge position for amazing cleans. You want a passive pickup for that.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Yeah...EMGs have rather soulless cleans...very sterile. The best thing I can recommend is to do what I did and get the 81TW/89 combo. Both coil-tapping, so the cleans are better.

Don't judge me.
Well, now I am confused, what is an 81TW? And what passive pick up is good for cleans?
You can just replace the batteries... But if you must switch, do what theoreticmusic suggested.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

an 81TW is the same thing as a regular 81, but with coil-tapping...
And running a passive and active pickup in the same guitar is extremely difficult. Really, it's best just to either run full active or full passive.

Don't judge me.
Okay, I wanted to switch anyway because they are stock pick ups and aren't that great. So I should go with the 81TW and the 89?
do you have neck and bridge mixed up, oh and i wouldnt get an emg for amazing cleans they sound really boring
Quote by macfreak1
Okay, I wanted to switch anyway because they are stock pick ups and aren't that great. So I should go with the 81TW and the 89?

If you must go active. If you want to consider passive, just let us know what guitar you have.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I'm sorry for being a guitar noob guys, but now Nathan is saying not to get EMG's for cleans.
Quote by macfreak1

Yes. 81TW neck, 89 in the bridge. Do you happen to know what kind of pots you have currently? You'll need 25K pots in all 4 positions, and you'll need 2 coil-tapping pots (which you'll have to order from EMG).

EDIT: Don't double post. Use the edit button. If you're still using the spider, don't waste your money on EMGs. Active pickups are really designed to enhance tube amps, certainly not a crappy amp like a spider modeler.

Don't judge me.
Last edited by theoreticmusic at Feb 2, 2009,
He means that you will need to change the potentiometers. Like he said, if you have the Spider, it's not gonna make but the slightest of differences. All guitars pretty much sound the same through that amp.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
All guitars pretty much sound the same (bad) through that amp.

fixed. for lulz.

EDIT: No, for the 240 bucks that new EMGs will set you back, you could have a new amp, especially when you add the dough that you'll get from selling your Spider.

Don't judge me.
Okay, so what kind of amp should I get, I have to go now so can you send me a PM if you can about a good Marshall at a good price maybe? Thanks for the help from everyone. Noob, out. Peace
Quote by theoreticmusic
fixed. for lulz.

EDIT: No, for the 240 bucks that new EMGs will set you back, you could have a new amp, especially when you add the dough that you'll get from selling your Spider.

lol
Yea, it's all gonna sound pretty bad through that amp. With the money you get from selling the Spider and what you already have, you could probably get a decent used tube amp.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Just come back when you can and list your budget and the genres that you play.

Don't judge me.
Uh... You have no batteries in your guitar first of all, and I would recommend getting a new amp first (IMO, the peavey vypyr is a great amp after the firmware updates.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
My budget for a new amp is $150 max. I only want a 15 watt. And for the pickups my limit is $200. I play anything, Blues, Jazz, Country, Funk, Metal, Heavy Metal, Thrash, Death Metal, Black Metal. I play stuff from Buddy Guy to Satyricon.

I was thinking of getting a Marshall. Unless someone has a better recommendation.

And for the pick-ups, the EMG81 costs $105. If anyone has a great bridge with awesome cleans, I 'm willing to pay over $200 if I must. What about the KFK set. Doesn't that come with the potentiometer?
They come with pots unless you need push-pulls. But seriously, you don't need active pickups with a modeling SS amp. Don't buy them. It's a waste of money. As far as the amp goes, look at Peavey Vypyr 15s and Roland Cubes.

EDIT: The Marshall you're talking about has to be the MG. DO NOT DO IT. It's the same turd as your spider with less knobs.

Don't judge me.
I was actually just looking at the Vypyr on Guitar Center, along with the Cube. Which one would you say is better, the Vypyr has some better reviews but what would you say?
I like the Vypyrs over the Cubes, but some people would say otherwise. I think the Vypyrs are more versatile without sacrificing tone. Why not go play them both side by side?

Don't judge me.
Maybe I should, is it bad that the Vypyr is a modeling amp? Wasn't that the problem with the Spider?
The problem with the spider is that it's a bad modeling amp. There are plenty of good modeling amps, but most of them are expensive. The Vypyr is an excellent middle ground, as is the Cube.

Don't judge me.
Okay, I'll just go with the Vypyr, I'm a beginner so I'm not big on trying anything out, if I were going for a $200 amp, then I would, but this is fine. So if I get that, should I get the 81TW/89 like you said?
No. You shouldn't get EMGs until you get a tube amp. You won't notice a sound difference through a Vypyr.

Don't judge me.
What if I get the Peavey TransTube? That seems to be a good amp for only $10 more.
The Vypyr is more versatile, and the Transtube is not a tube amp, it's just got a "tube emulation circuit". Put the idea of EMGs out of your head for a long while.

Don't judge me.
Darn, I really wanted EMG's, so if I get the Vypyr, what pickups should I get now?
You shouldn't. The ones you have will be fine. Modeling amps tend to make almost every guitar sound the same.

Don't judge me.
Okay. Thanks for everything dude, you've been the most help. And sorry for being picky about the EMG's, I didn't know that you had to have a Tube amp for all that, I'm still a noob. Thanks again
You don't HAVE to, it's just rather pointless without it. or at very least a decent SS amp. You don't want to start throwing around cash for pickups until you've got a really good amp. The amp is the most integral part of your sound. My best advice is to poke around the stickies:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149114
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278232

There's a bunch of good info in them.
Best of luck.

Don't judge me.