I've seen that marked on several tabs/scores now for guitar, and...

How do you make volume swell on a guitar? I don't see how, but it's done on several songs.
Have your volume off on your guitar.
Pluck the note(s) and then turn it up.
Or using a volume pedal. Probably slightly easier.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by jimi_sean at Feb 2, 2009,
Quote by Code-E
Have your volume off on your guitar.
Pluck the note(s) and then turn it up.

Would that apply to several consecutive notes? A few examples being Iron Maiden's Rime of the Ancient Mariner interlude, the outro to Master of Puppets, etc...

I figured there was some other complex answer to it.
Last edited by Shoj_ at Feb 2, 2009,
Quote by Shoj_
Would that apply to several consecutive notes? A few examples being Iron Maiden's Rime of the Ancient Mariner interlude, the outro to Master of Puppets, etc...

yea you can do it with as many notes as you want. the way its usually done is by using th pinky to roll the volume knob and then pick with the pick. try to do it in a fluid motion. usally its done only in down strokes. thats the easiest way to do it with the knob. then you can get into "violining" which invloves playing whith swells on each note to make it sound more like a violin.
Don't pick the note.

Have the volume down, hammer the desired note, then raise the volume know.
Great trick but not as great as pulling a rabbit out of the guitar.

Good example ( if you haven't already heard them) is Van Halen's Cathedral (EVH uses a delay) and Dream Theater's Another day.
hue
Its also worthwhile to mention if your guitar is a cheap one, it might be a lot less effective. I know i couldnt swell on my old guitar because the volume from 0 to 2 changed drasticly, then the increasing volume between 2 and 10 on the knob didnt really change the volume, but on my better guitar its a gradual increase in volume from 0 to 10.
Quote by StonaLemons
Its also worthwhile to mention if your guitar is a cheap one, it might be a lot less effective. I know i couldnt swell on my old guitar because the volume from 0 to 2 changed drasticly, then the increasing volume between 2 and 10 on the knob didnt really change the volume, but on my better guitar its a gradual increase in volume from 0 to 10.

This can often be true.

Fortunately my old Tanglewood srat and now my fender strat dont have that problem
Quote by StonaLemons

Good point.....and also a fair amount of dist. usually helps... i find it does anyway

And +1 to the volume pedal idea... it is a darn sight easier
Quote by Shoj_

The MoP outro is actually recorded and then played backwards
If you watch footage of Brian Setzer playing with the Brian Setzer Orchestra (on their Live In Japan DVD, try YouTube), he does volume swells very, very well.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
so the only way to volume swell on sg's is by using volume pedals? ):
Quote by Junnage
GuitarUser knows what's up*

Quote by SimplyBen
I agree with GuitarUser

Quote by travs2448
digital amps are like Fapping, its good but nothings like the real thing.
absolutly no! unless your sg has no volume pot. Just hammer your desired note and roll up the volume.
my sg has 3 pickups, theres no way to select a single one, so i cant swell by the volume knob, cuz i'd have to control 2 at the same time
Quote by Junnage
GuitarUser knows what's up*

Quote by SimplyBen
I agree with GuitarUser

Quote by travs2448
digital amps are like Fapping, its good but nothings like the real thing.
Switch the toggle to just one pickup, then you can control it with only one knob.