My friend when using my guitar he like grabs the body and neck and like pulls or pushes or something to do a little whammy thing? Is it bad for my guitar? He only has done it twice and i told him to stop. Will it like break my neck? Could there already be damage to the truss rod?
Not particularly. If you do it for years on end all the time, then yeah there will be some damage. But if it's only a few times, you should be ok. If you notice the neck and action feel different, then definitely have it checked out.
You dont think doing it like twice could have done any damage do you? Im scared he did something
I do it, but Slash broke his neck back in the late 80s doing it on his LP and it hit him in the face, but it has a mahogany neck. It shouldn't do much. Mine has a mahogany neck and the setup doesn't ever get f'd up.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
slash broke his LP's neck doing it
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
I recall Slash trying to do that while in a jam session with some friends. I think it said in his biography that the neck snapped and several pieces of wood flew up and stabbed a hole through his lip or something.

Don't worry about it though.
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
Quote by devit
slash broke his LP's neck doing it

I win this time! No one beat me!

Quote by Shredder Guitar
I recall Slash trying to do that while in a jam session with some friends. I think it said in his biography that the neck snapped and several pieces of wood flew up and stabbed a hole through his lip or something.

Win X2! That's like 4 losses tonight and one win...
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Even on my thin Ibanez S neck?

Also when he did it there was a tiny crackeling noise not like a big snap or big crack there goes my guitar but just a small little crack but not snapped neck
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']lol. MMolteratx FTW!!!!!

Yea! I've been feeling like an idiot all night.

Quote by IbanezMan65
Even on my thin Ibanez S neck?

Also when he did it there was a tiny crackeling noise not like a big snap or big crack there goes my guitar but just a small little crack but not snapped neck

Since it's maple, it shouldn't do anything but check for cracks. If there are, you might need to get it repaired so it doesn't get worse. Make sure to take it to a good luthier only if it needs repairing.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Feb 2, 2009,
Are you just trying to prove that there's something wrong with your guitar? If that is indeed your intention, don't bother asking our advice, as it ultimately ends up as a waste of our time.
If you are certain / convinced that your friend has inflicted some damage to your neck, take it to a luither or a repair shop and ask them to check for damage.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Ok first off, your guitar has a whammy bar, so why the hell would your friend do the neck bending thing in the first place?
Second, guitars are not as fragile as people seem to think they are. Your neck is a 3/4 inch thick piece of hardwood with a steel rod running through the middle of it. It's not gonna just snap off.
Quote by which ones pink
Ok first off, your guitar has a whammy bar, so why the hell would your friend do the neck bending thing in the first place?
Second, guitars are not as fragile as people seem to think they are. Your neck is a 3/4 inch thick piece of hardwood with a steel rod running through the middle of it. It's not gonna just snap off.

+1 all the way around.

You can tell when you're really stressing a neck if you were to be doing this to a more extreme point.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Shredder Guitar

Yeah he did it and the neck snapped and gored his lip with a big piece of it. The guys playing with him said it sounded like a gunshot or something when it happened. His guitar tech took it to a luthier and got it fixed good as new though.

EDIT: But on topic why would he do that especially on a FLOATING TREM GUITAR, the whammy that can do any whammy trick with ease?
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Last edited by Lethal Dosage at Feb 3, 2009,
Quote by IbanezMan65
My friend when using my guitar he like grabs the body and neck and like pulls or pushes or something to do a little whammy thing? Is it bad for my guitar? He only has done it twice and i told him to stop. Will it like break my neck? Could there already be damage to the truss rod?

its fine if you dont push it too much. i wouldnt let someone else to it to my guitar though. at least when i do it to my guitar, i can feel whats too much. they might not know.
Why is your friend being a douche and doing this?

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by which ones pink

Yes, but its got about 100 pounds of pressure on it already from the strings pulling on it. But it should be ok a few times, not something I would do to my guitars as I would think it would slowly weaken the neck... As for Slash, was a drunken idiot who at the time probably didn't know his own strength and most likely just reefed on the thing pretty hard.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Its like this if your friend wants to do this neck bending trick on HIS guitar more power to him. But as its YOUR guitar is he going to cough up the cash if there is a problem at some point. It may or may not happen but you will be out a guitar not him. If someone did this to my guitar once they wouldnt be doing it again and wouldnt be playng any of my guitars again.
I do it but never on other peoples guitars.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
I'm not really sure if it damages it, but I would punch your friend straight in the nose. I wouldn't let anyone do that to mine with resorting to brutal violence.
Quote by Tackleberry
Its like this if your friend wants to do this neck bending trick on HIS guitar more power to him. But as its YOUR guitar is he going to cough up the cash if there is a problem at some point. It may or may not happen but you will be out a guitar not him. If someone did this to my guitar once they wouldnt be doing it again and wouldnt be playng any of my guitars again.

Agreed.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
What do you mean by bending the neck? I'm not sure I follow as I've never heard of this. When I read the post first, I thought you meant the whammy bar, but reading the comments, you must be referring to something else.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by MustangSVT
What do you mean by bending the neck? I'm not sure I follow as I've never heard of this. When I read the post first, I thought you meant the whammy bar, but reading the comments, you must be referring to something else.

When you push or pull on the top of the headstock while holding your guitar body with the other hand. There's a Youtube reference a couple of posts up.
Quote by Y00p
When you push or pull on the top of the headstock while holding your guitar body with the other hand. There's a Youtube reference a couple of posts up.

Ah I see now (saw that Joan Jett video). As far as I can see, doing that a couple times could risk warping your neck or snapping it.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer