ok i need some clues or hints to get my jazz piano up to my guitar skills.
in my opinion, playing good jazz on a piano sounds AWSOME.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5wjKbQ8G0c

something like that video.
yes i know hes good, but i practice ALOT, and i thought it would be awsome to play jazz on piano.
i play some of my "jazzy" chord progressions on the piano sometimes, and it just doesnt sound right.
maybe im just not good enough on piano yet, or i dont know.

i know my question is really broad, but i just want to know anything about playing jazz on the piano.
some good jazz piano players, some progressions that sound "jazzy" on the piano, anything.
i can play decent jazz on the guitar, improv and chord progressions, but i want to get better on the piano.

any help would be appreciated.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Some of the great jazz pianists that I try and learn from: Art Tatum, Herbie Hancock, Bill Evans, McCoy Tyner, Thelonious Monk, Bud Powell, Chick Corea, Sun Ra, Joe Zawinul. You can learn alot about music in general from any of these guys.

You should probably get a teacher if you really want to learn though. There are books too, like Mark Levine's The Jazz Piano Book (which I've read through), but they're no substitute for a good teacher.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
I'd much rather take up Jazz Piano than Jazz Flute.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Listen to Jazz pianists. Copy them. It's that simple.

And piano is great not only in Jazz, y'know?
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Quote by SilverDark
Listen to Jazz pianists. Copy them. It's that simple.

And piano is great not only in Jazz, y'know?

i know piano isnt only great in jazz, but i love jazz, and im really starting to enjoy the piano, so i thought why not try to play jazz on the piano.

to ramm ty, thanks for the list. im gonna listen to those guys and try and learn some of the stuff.
=]

and i totally agree with you, the best way to learn (for me) is a good teacher.
but, times are tough and im poor lol.
so im gonna have to go without a teacher for now

thanks for the help everyone
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
i know piano isnt only great in jazz, but i love jazz, and im really starting to enjoy the piano, so i thought why not try to play jazz on the piano.

to ramm ty, thanks for the list. im gonna listen to those guys and try and learn some of the stuff.
=]

and i totally agree with you, the best way to learn (for me) is a good teacher.
but, times are tough and im poor lol.
so im gonna have to go without a teacher for now

thanks for the help everyone

That's great man, I'm also starting to get into Jazz... I'm going to start listening to some more, my music library is gonna be rid of Malmsteen and such, I'm starting to tire of them... things are starting to click in my mind with the chords and such. Study up on chord voicings, get that piano jazz book and also "Jazz Theory" by, I think the same author, Mark Levine, and try to get ahold of a teacher, save up for at least one lesson. You might get so much out of one lesson. Good luck.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Quote by SilverDark
That's great man, I'm also starting to get into Jazz... I'm going to start listening to some more, my music library is gonna be rid of Malmsteen and such, I'm starting to tire of them... things are starting to click in my mind with the chords and such. Study up on chord voicings, get that piano jazz book and also "Jazz Theory" by, I think the same author, Mark Levine, and try to get ahold of a teacher, save up for at least one lesson. You might get so much out of one lesson. Good luck.

thanks

should i close this thread now? or just leave it
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic