I started guitar not more than 5 days. I learnt some riffs, and the major chords, and all was going well. But the last 2 days, im just not sure what direction to head in. i made a topic similar to this, it helped a bit, but I simply dont know where to go on from here. It will be about 3 weeks before I can find and organise lessons, but for now, i need some guidance.
My ultimate goal is to play rock lead guitar, if that makes a difference.
Should i be-
Learning riffs
Learning simple songs
Practicing chord switches
Practicing doing chords properly
Playing Scales (I still dont understand what the point of a scale is, but im sure it's important)
Or something completely different.

All the things that the teacher will tell me could probably be found online, I just need a teacher to-
Stop my bad habits
Guide me on what to do next

Everything else i can learn myself.
But for now, what do you guys think I should be doing?
Really, I think you should be doing a bit of everything. But the way I did it was that I remember I started mainly learning very easy songs, the full way through, like Paranoid by Black Sabbath (minus solos and other difficult parts, but I still gave it a shot). Not only will this help to build up finger strength (like everything you mentioned), but it will also get you into a habit of actually learning songs. Most people figure that they'll learn a song and end up forgetting about it and quitting. After that, I would focus on scales (Riffs will basically come with the songs, as with chord switches, and doing chords properly). You can use the scales you learn to build your own simple melodies. In my opinion, the best way to learn a scale is to make something with it, or make a couple things with it (You say you want to play rock lead guitar, and a vital part of that is learning scales!).

I don't know if I helped you but I just kind of through down all the thoughts I had.
I'm still new.
Quote by Diseeze
Really, I think you should be doing a bit of everything. But the way I did it was that I remember I started mainly learning very easy songs, the full way through, like Paranoid by Black Sabbath (minus solos and other difficult parts, but I still gave it a shot). Not only will this help to build up finger strength (like everything you mentioned), but it will also get you into a habit of actually learning songs. Most people figure that they'll learn a song and end up forgetting about it and quitting. After that, I would focus on scales (Riffs will basically come with the songs, as with chord switches, and doing chords properly). You can use the scales you learn to build your own simple melodies. In my opinion, the best way to learn a scale is to make something with it, or make a couple things with it (You say you want to play rock lead guitar, and a vital part of that is learning scales!).

I don't know if I helped you but I just kind of through down all the thoughts I had.

Thats was pretty helpful, thanks.
Anyway, i only have an acoustic (Electric in 2-3 months) and all the rock songs i play dont sound right. I played the riff to ironman (Minus the sliding, my fingers hurt to much to slide yet, I just pick each note isntead) and although the tune is right, it sounds nothing like what it sounds on the MP3.
Quote by GoldfishMoon
Thats was pretty helpful, thanks.
Anyway, i only have an acoustic (Electric in 2-3 months) and all the rock songs i play dont sound right. I played the riff to ironman (Minus the sliding, my fingers hurt to much to slide yet, I just pick each note isntead) and although the tune is right, it sounds nothing like what it sounds on the MP3.

Don't worry about that! You've been playing guitar for only 5 days, you have to remember that your fingers aren't used to sliding around and fretting things. If you record yourself playing that riff today, and then in 3 months record yourself playing it again, you'll notice how much better it sounds, and it will probably sound just like the song. It's a total confidence boost.
I'm still new.
Ok, ill record myself playing all the riffs I know then try again in 3 months.

Is Guitar Pro worth it?
Im trying the demo now.
Guitar Pro is worth is for the RSE, but not needed, Tuxguitar is free, as is PowerTab.

Also, songs may not sound right because they're played in different tunings (Standard Guitar Tuning is EADGBE.) Different bands play songs in different tunings,

Killswitch Engages tuning is commonly Drop-c or CGCFAD.
Avenged Sevenfold is usually Drop-D (or DADGBE),

Because of the different tunings playing the same strings/frets on each sound different. Over simplification but its why songs sound off. Even on an acoustic you can play many things and have them sound mostly right, as long as the tuning is proper.
Quote by Castiel
Guitar Pro is worth is for the RSE, but not needed, Tuxguitar is free, as is PowerTab.

Also, songs may not sound right because they're played in different tunings (Standard Guitar Tuning is EADGBE.) Different bands play songs in different tunings,

Killswitch Engages tuning is commonly Drop-c or CGCFAD.
Avenged Sevenfold is usually Drop-D (or DADGBE),

Because of the different tunings playing the same strings/frets on each sound different. Over simplification but its why songs sound off. Even on an acoustic you can play many things and have them sound mostly right, as long as the tuning is proper.

I just tried GuitarPro. The demo doesnt use that RSE thing, and it sounder terrible. Does the actual thing sound like a guitar?
Quote by GoldfishMoon
I just tried GuitarPro. The demo doesnt use that RSE thing, and it sounder terrible. Does the actual thing sound like a guitar?

yes and no, its better than non-rse, but its still a poor excuse for guitar sounds. Wish they'd update it with better soundbanks. Its nice but not necessary.
It has some nice features though. I wish it had a few more like the sound of the pick when it hits the strings on solos and other things like that.
it does, im hoping GP 6 whenever its released is bounds better. I find myself turning on (Human playing) whenever I chart something out.
I just signed up for lessons at school.
Originally, I was going to go to private lessons because I thought I would miss out on class time if I took lessons at school. Then I realised that the lessons were only 25 mins 1-3 times a week, rotating so you never missed the same subject twice in a row. So yeah, im starting that next week. Now I have got a 40 minute practice schedule which i will do twice a day.