Page 1 of 2
I need a small tube amp for home practice and recording, and I was looking at the following:
Crate V5
Epi Valve Jr.
Fender Champ 600
Peavey Valve King Royal 8

Right now, I'm playing more classic rock and blues (Led Zeppelin, Muddy Waters, The Who, etc) and I'm not sure which would be best. What are your experiences with these amps? Thanks!
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
The only one of those I've played is the Valve Jr. It'll do that bluesy classic rock tone quite well, but can't do much else.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
The sound of the 5 watter amps seems to be love or hate. They all have a similar flavor and tend to sound similar. Give em a try and pick the one you most like.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by enselmis
cornford harlequin is the nicest small tube amp OF ALL TIME!!!!!

It... Is... God...

While I agree, it's also about 7 times the price.
Get a Champ 600 and a Carl Martin Crunch Drive/MI Audio Crunch Box/Fulltone OCD. Or you could go ZVex Nano Amp with a decent cab but at several times the price.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I have a decent OD already. And I probably won't be gigging with this (unless I want to send one amp through a PA and have the other play out normally). The only other thing I'll probably need would be an EQ, and I'm already looking at the MXR 10 band Eq (or Dano Fish 'n' Chips if I can't afford the MXR for a while, they're WAY overpriced where I live).
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
The V5 is technically a hybrid. While both the preamp and power amp use tubes it also has an op-amp gain stage before the first preamp stage. Not necessarily bad until you try to hit it with a boost. The VJ sucks in my experiences. Champs are great, haven't played the reissue though. Not a fan of the VK.

How much can you spend?
Last edited by Whole Lotta Led at Feb 3, 2009,
VJ fan here. Great workhorse amp. Easily modded and takes pedals very well. EQ is a must to really dial it in, but every pedal i add i like it better.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
To basically steal another posters idea........................

The Egnater REBEL 20 is one of the greatest small amps of all time. Most versatile single channel amp I've ever heard, as well.
Blackstar HT-5.
It's brilliant.

And of course, the best small amp in the world happens to be the Cornford Harelquin.
Quote by scott58
VJ fan here. Great workhorse amp. Easily modded and takes pedals very well. EQ is a must to really dial it in, but every pedal i add i like it better.

+1 modder's and pedal lovers delight................speaking of single channel amps i just saw this on ehx website might me worth a look????
http://www.ehx.com/products/signal-pad
Quote by MAYNARD
To basically steal another posters idea........................

The Egnater REBEL 20 is one of the greatest small amps of all time. Most versatile single channel amp I've ever heard, as well.

Err, no. Overpriced, over-hyped, phony tube mix? For sure. Worth 600 bucks (plus a cab)? No.

Explain how it's versatile? I mean, it can do classic rock well and almost has enough gain for hard rock, that makes an amp versatile?
I have a Vjr combo and it's nothing special. I'll take my Vypyr 15 upgraded to a 10" speaker over it any day.
Quote by fly135
I have a Vjr combo and it's nothing special. I'll take my Vypyr 15 upgraded to a 10" speaker over it any day.

alot of people with the VJ combo feel that way. head and cab are alot different.
I have a head and cab too. But OP was asking about small amps, so I figured he meant the combo. The head and cab is great for putting pedals or multifx in front.
I also reccommed the Blackstar HT-5. I thought about selling my VK and getting one, but 5 watts won't cut it for me.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by Rock Pig
Blackstar HT-5.
It's brilliant.

And of course, the best small amp in the world happens to be the Cornford Harelquin.

While I do love Cornfords, you guys should hear a Mojave Coyote.
http://www.mojaveampworks.com/index.php?id=5,0,0,1,0,0#coyote
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
the carrera has a lot more features than the harlequin... no idea if it sounds better, though, i've only tried the carrera. i'm not sure i'd agree it's the best, either, as it doesn't really do the fendery thing all that well- you'd need a cornell romany plus or similar too, if you went down that route and wanted it to do everything (major GAS incoming ). ^ haven't tried that mojave either

they're way more than the ones the TS is looking at, though. I'd pretty much agree with kevin saale's first post- kinda love/hate, and kind of a similar flavour. not that they all sound the same, or anything, but they do have a similar "feel", for want of a better word.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by classicrocker01
I also reccommed the Blackstar HT-5. I thought about selling my VK and getting one, but 5 watts won't cut it for me.

Not trying to talk you out of it or anything, but the HT-5 seems a hell of a lot louder then my old VJ head/212 setup and many other of the 5 watters I have played... Maybe its just the dynamics of this amp over the others, but I can easily be heard over a drummer with my Blackstar... Would need to be mic'd for gigging though...
Well, I'm trying to keep the budge (at or) under $200. So that's why I was looking at these.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
Quote by music_mike
Not trying to talk you out of it or anything, but the HT-5 seems a hell of a lot louder then my old VJ head/212 setup and many other of the 5 watters I have played... Maybe its just the dynamics of this amp over the others, but I can easily be heard over a drummer with my Blackstar... Would need to be mic'd for gigging though...

Will it do clean over a drummer?
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by Dave_Mc
the carrera has a lot more features than the harlequin... no idea if it sounds better, though, i've only tried the carrera. i'm not sure i'd agree it's the best, either, as it doesn't really do the fendery thing all that well- you'd need a cornell romany plus or similar too, if you went down that route and wanted it to do everything (major GAS incoming ). ^ haven't tried that mojave either

they're way more than the ones the TS is looking at, though. I'd pretty much agree with kevin saale's first post- kinda love/hate, and kind of a similar flavour. not that they all sound the same, or anything, but they do have a similar "feel", for want of a better word.

I agree completely in general. I just said Harlequin because I couldn't remember the Carrera's name >.>
But really, I'm a diehard Cornford fan after playing and hearing a fair few.

On budget, I still think the HT-5 would be perfect.
Quote by classicrocker01

No... It gets a bluesy overdrive when its loud enough to be heard over a drummer on clean...
Quote by classicrocker01

You can really boost the volume and clean up the sound quite a bit by sticking a boost pedal in the effects loop.

Currently, I have a Fish & Chips EQ pedal in the effects loop, set flat with the level boosted and it kicks the volume up quite nicely while minimising break up.
No 5w tube amp will do clean over a drummer.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
No 5w tube amp will do clean over a drummer.

No they wont do pristine clean on their own over a drummer... But as jaskar said, there are ways to minimize break up and keep it relatively clean at higher volumes...
I'm pretty sure he said home practice use only - no drummers.

Acousticpunk - how do you plan to record? Do you already have that taken care of? You may want to look at some hybrids too - like a Vypyr. Of the amps you listed I like the Champ 600 the best. If I had $200, I would be looking for a used SuperChamp.
311 He has mentioned nothing about a drummer only recording and practice. I admit there is a price range though that I went over. This amp will play the tones he's looking for.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^I hope you didn't think I was talking to you. The BH is a fine recommendation. I was just making a point that everyone was getting worked up about playing over a drummer.

Quote by Rock Pig
I agree completely in general. I just said Harlequin because I couldn't remember the Carrera's name >.>
But really, I'm a diehard Cornford fan after playing and hearing a fair few.

On budget, I still think the HT-5 would be perfect.

no worries. i wouldn't necessarily say i'm a diehard cornford fan, i really like them for a certain style of music and tone, but that just happens to be the type of music i play a lot of, lol. they seem a bit love/hate, i can understand why a lot of people aren't too keen on them...

haven't tried an ht5 either...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, we have recording stations set up at 2/5 band member's houses, the more reliable (and easier to use) being at the bass player's house. Only problem is, he lives with his grand parents, and they have a near 0 noise policy. That's why I'm going for the lowest wattage possible. We can record when they leave, but we still have to keep it down a bit because of neighbors; that's why the 30w tube amp I have won't cut it.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
Page 1 of 2