http://www.ajc.com/services/content/health/stories/2009/02/02/autism_dog_service.html?referrer=search_buy

I just read this a few minutes ago, and I find it to be quite amazing and somewhat touching in a way as well. I know that you guys enjoy laughs more than serious topics, but I wanted to bring it here and see what you guys thought about this, maybe discuss what this could mean for people with disabilities, autism in particular, in the future. What do you think?

I'll admit that the article is somewhat long, but I think that it's worth it. If it's too long for some of you, oh well, deal with it or don't read it at all.
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
thats a pretty cool story...thanks for sharing
Quote by bucktheduck

Call me troll, call me psychopath. In the end, I shall stand above you all as you drown in a pool of sex and filth. It will explode your corrupted bodies, and I will walk above the wreckage as a pure man.

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Haggard13 i are impressed
pretty interesting!
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
I love stories like that, I just wish there was more to this one! The article was too short, if you ask me.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
thank you for posting this article. It flowed well, and I especially loved the "circle me" part, and using Mercury's chasing his tail to end Michael's "behavior" Excellent post
I thought it said "Acoustic Boy and his dog" thought we had ourselves an un-plugged superhero
Neat story!

I've worked a lot with autistic children, and those who are my age over the years... They don't do a decent job portraying what autism is though... or any part of the spectrum.
its not to long this article is true about pretty much anyone if yu alow some one to interact with something it helps them to open up you guys shuld look up this other kid i cant remember his name for the life of me but its the kid thatsblind autistic and mentally retarded and hes like a ****ingg genius on piano
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
This belongs in either the "autistic children thread" or the "assisting dog thread."

*reported*
^Are you serious? I have never once seen either of those threads.
^Of course not. It was my attempt to humorously satirize "reporters" in UG. Note my strict adherence to the basic template of reporting (My use of the asterixes etc.)
Ahh... yes I do see that. I'll admit that you had me quite fooled.
*In dramatic voice*
One boy
One dog
Together with an unbreakable bond..

*insert cutscenes with the boy happy and running with dog*
*then changes to the boy crying in the rain*

Coming soon
In 2010
Quote by enomushiki
This belongs in either the "autistic children thread" or the "assisting dog thread."

*reported*

so gonna sig that.

i agree that the use of animals for autism is pretty cool.
Quote by eazy-c
The Necropeadophile lyrics are great. It has such a bouncy rhythm, like a twisted nursery rhyme.
My cousin has very strong autism, to the point he can't feel pain or speak.

That's pretty amazing though, but that dog is massive for only being 10-weeks old.
Quote by Oh Shize
My cousin has very strong autism, to the point he can't feel pain or speak.

That's pretty amazing though, but that dog is massive for only being 10-weeks old.

If he can't feel pain, does he feel everyday kind of touch? Like when you touch a door handle or when you get tapped on the back. This interests me.
Quote by soulflyV
If he can't feel pain, does he feel everyday kind of touch? Like when you touch a door handle or when you get tapped on the back. This interests me.

I think he feels touch, but he has a severe burn on his hand from when he put his hand behind a radiator. He couldn't feel it, so this meant nobody realized anything was wrong until they saw him with his hand stuck behind there. He didn't even flinch.

But I think he can feel touch and stuff, but I'm not completely sure.
Quote by Oh Shize
I think he feels touch, but he has a severe burn on his hand from when he put his hand behind a radiator. He couldn't feel it, so this meant nobody realized anything was wrong until they saw him with his hand stuck behind there. He didn't even flinch.

But I think he can feel touch and stuff, but I'm not completely sure.

Hmm, that's weird. The border between 'touch' and pain has always interested me.
Just a little two pennyworth here. My wife, daughter and stepson are all on the spectrum. My daughter has an assistance dog who is wonderful and we also have a family pet dog who probably helped her very early on. So thanks for the story link. The more we see of Autistic kids developing with 'normal' activities and relationships, the better the public will come to understand the type of problems they cope with.
Its not so long ago they would have been called by other names and institutionalised for life. And a very sad and terrible life they must have had.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x