Probably a stupid answer in response to a....

A, A#, B, C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#

I would say the most common are the 2 note "power chord" (which aren't really chords because 3 notes in unison qualifies a chord)

But basically the C scale.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
Last edited by stevenpollock at Feb 3, 2009,
g c and d
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
i would have thought C F G are the most common in general terms,
I'LL ALWAYS NEED THIS
I'LL ALWAYS NEED YOU
Quote by stevenpollock

I would say the most common are the 2 note "power chord" (which aren't really chords because 3 notes in unison qualifies a chord)

I didn't think it was a stupid question. But oh well. Also i was talking in terms of acoustic mainly.
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
Last edited by silly6-string at Feb 3, 2009,
Quote by stevenpollock

well a two note power chord would be the 1st and 5th of a scale, thus it would be a 5 chord

like F5, B5, etc.

and i would say barre chords for acoustic and early punk (romanes)

edit - also the common chords i use are in the songs like "wonderwall" - oasis (but uses a capo), and "elderly woman behind a counter in a small town" or something like that - by pearl jam, very happy chords with a kind of sad undertone if you play them in the right order
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Last edited by F8iscruel at Feb 3, 2009,
Quote by silly6-string
I didn't think it was a stupid question. But oh well.

Not trying to be rude. But it's sort of a question that no one will ever have a real answer to. But common instruments are in the scale of C major, which is
C = 1 = I
D = 2 = II
E = 3 = III
F = 4 = IV
G = 5 = V
A = 6 = VI
B = 7 = VII
C = 8 = VIII (same as I)
if that looks confusing you just think of it as all the chords on a standard tuned guitar that can be played open (with the exception of B) and they're the barre & power "chords" that have the dots on them where the dominant note is.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

Quote by neverspoiled
=)
Quote by F8iscruel
well a two note power chord would be the 1st and 5th of a scale, thus it would be a 5 chord

like F5, B5, etc.

and i would say barre chords for acoustic and early punk (romanes)

It's true! But they always say a chord is "3 or more notes in unison" but I guess they still give these 'fake' chords chords name haha. But yeah they're the 5th, so good point!
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

Quote by neverspoiled
=)
Quote by stevenpollock
It's true! But they always say a chord is "3 or more notes in unison" but I guess they still give these 'fake' chords chords name haha. But yeah they're the 5th, so good point!

yah i think they fall into the same vein as octave chords, the 1st and the 8th (suprisingly i've seen those mostly in metalcore songs). which is to say that they are a chord since they are the notes in the scale even if its not a tradition major, minor, deminished, augmented, chord. although i think a 6 chord is only 2 notes i'll have to check
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Depends on the genre. In Irish trad it is D which is easy to play around on fiddle, tin whistle, flute and accordion. Or so they tell me. Guitar blues tends towards E and A for the same reason.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by stevenpollock
Not trying to be rude. But it's sort of a question that no one will ever have a real answer to. But common instruments are in the scale of C major, which is
C = 1 = I
D = 2 = II
E = 3 = III
F = 4 = IV
G = 5 = V
A = 6 = VI
B = 7 = VII
C = 8 = VIII (same as I)
if that looks confusing you just think of it as all the chords on a standard tuned guitar that can be played open (with the exception of B) and they're the barre & power "chords" that have the dots on them where the dominant note is.

ty for the reply. I know chord construction and progression. Just wondering what chords i should learn. I want to sing and play. I know major and minor in open and in barre what else should i know?

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Quote by silly6-string
ty for the reply. I know chord construction and progression. Just wondering what chords i should learn. I want to sing and play. I know major and minor in open and in barre what else should i know?

I would say those are the fundamentals. There are millions of songs that use only the chords I mentioned in my first post. I would even go as far as to say 80% of Rock/Pop and derivatives use only those chords. I learned a lot of chords from learning Incubus songs. I swear Mikey makes up chords. They can get pretty whacky but they're cool nonetheless. But I would say you know enough to sing/play/songwrite from what you said.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

Quote by neverspoiled
=)
Quote by silverchairman
C#+

...nobody uses this chord

What is the plus sign lolol
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

Quote by neverspoiled
=)
Quote by stevenpollock
I would say those are the fundamentals. There are millions of songs that use only the chords I mentioned in my first post. I would even go as far as to say 80% of Rock/Pop and derivatives use only those chords. I learned a lot of chords from learning Incubus songs. I swear Mikey makes up chords. They can get pretty whacky but they're cool nonetheless. But I would say you know enough to sing/play/songwrite from what you said.

Ty you for the help

S6S

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
A, Am, C, Cadd9, D, E, Em, F, G.

Quote by stevenpollock
What is the plus sign lolol

The + means augmented.
Last edited by tenfold at Feb 3, 2009,
Quote by silly6-string

If you know chord construction and progressions then you don't need to learn chords because you know how to construct them as and when you need them.

People are right, it was a stupid question.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
If you know chord construction and progressions then you don't need to learn chords because you know how to construct them as and when you need them.

People are right, it was a stupid question.

In your eyes maybe. Your the only one that thinks so. Its ppl like you that makes it so ppl don't learn anything. I simply asked a question ,cause that's what forums are for is fo asking questions. Because im learning chords. AND i wanted to see which chords are used more so i can fig out which to learn first. That where more necessary.
But ty for your comment. Just makes me try harder. Also ppl didnt think it was cause they didnt understand the question> basically your the only one.

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Quote by tenfold
A, Am, C, Cadd9, D, E, Em, F, G.

The + means diminished.

Augmented.*
Power Chords!

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car