Many post, and tons of research has put me at these two amps for a couple reasons, price, ablity to play a lower volumes and flexibility. The only problem I am having now is I love the tone of the Powerball, but I can't find any good metal clips of a Sig x or somewhere close to try one out. Without making the trek to try one, what are your opinions of of these two amps side by side, tone wise for metal, reliability, ease of use, variety of tones, etc, etc...?

I'm looking at used ones, other wise it would be very hard for me to get one of these
The ENGL is livelier sounding IMO. The Fryette isn't as 3-D as the ENGL in my experience. I personally love the ENGL and would recommend it over the Fryette. You really can't go wrong with either one though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Those are 2 completely different amps to be honest.
The Powerball is super-saturated while the VHT is really dry.
I don't know what music you are into, it would kind of be like comparing the sound of Killswitch Engage (I know they don't play ENGL's but the saturation is comparable) with August Burns Red, who play VHT's.

EDIT: I must say I've never played the VHT SigX, but I thought I heard it was a very lead-oriented amp.
gear:
-Ibanez ART 120 (w/EMG 81/85)
-Ibanez RG 1570
-Peavey 6505
-Tube-Town TTC 212V
-ISP Decimator G-String
-Maxon OD-9
-T-rex Fuel tank Junior

Coming soon:
-BBE Sonic Maximizer
-EQ
Last edited by fearo at Feb 3, 2009,
Necrophagist > August burns red
Engl > VHT

thats how i see it hahaha
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff
Quote by Krzy8
Necrophagist > August burns red
Engl > VHT

thats how i see it hahaha

More like Decrepit Birth > August Burns Red
Are the older ENGL powerballs still good? I can get a couple month old VHT half stack or a 6 year old ENGL powerball that hasn't had it's tubes changed for that whole time. The VHT Sig x would be about US 800 more. I'm kind of going more toward the vht even though it doesn't quite have as saturated of a sound. What do you think is a wise choice?

Also doesn't Alexi Laiho use VHT stuff?
Quote by Lucky7s
Are the older ENGL powerballs still good? I can get a couple month old VHT half stack or a 6 year old ENGL powerball that hasn't had it's tubes changed for that whole time. The VHT Sig x would be about US 800 more. I'm kind of going more toward the vht even though it doesn't quite have as saturated of a sound. What do you think is a wise choice?

Also doesn't Alexi Laiho use VHT stuff?

Alexi Laiho uses Lee Jackson GP-1000 Preamps (Sometimes Tech 21 Sansamp), with VHT 2/50 Power amp, but I think recently he switched to ENGL power amps. I wouldn't really attribute his tone to the power amp, as most tone comes from his preamp
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups