I've been looking around the internet for a while for some valid measurements that I am supposed to make on the 12th fret for action.
They do have it, but most of them are for the strat-type bridges and mine is a Washburn WI64, which has a tune-o-matic bridge.

Does anyone have measurements on the action for the high and low E string?
And, if you can, I would appreciate millimeters, not inches...
Unfortunately I don't have a inch ruler anywhere in Japan but we use metric measurements.

Thank You.
I work towards 1mm high E at 12 and 2mm low E at 12. But the high E usually is best at more like 1.3mm Some styles will sound better with a high action. Type of bridge shouldn't make any difference but the flood of cheap 'beginner' strats around means its the most common type for those just learning some basics. Most of them give it up because their guitars are so bad but that's another story.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Just put it wherever you feel comfortable with, as long as it doesn't cause lots of buzz.
There isn't really any set action height, some people like it really low, others fairly high. Its just preference.
Quote by littlephil
Just put it wherever you feel comfortable with, as long as it doesn't cause lots of buzz.
There isn't really any set action height, some people like it really low, others fairly high. Its just preference.

Really?
I mean, my higher string is just fine but my low E is probably too low, as it buzzes at times.
I can't adjust the intonation more because it's too low so I was just curious
on any electric guitar the standard medium action is 2.38 on the bass side at the 12, 1.59 on the high e at the 12 adding or subracting .4 mm from those measurements will give you high or low.

Start with that and then dial in to taste

these measurements do assume that you have your neck set correctly though.....
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
As long as you cant hear the buzzing through your amp, don't worry about it. You can raise the bass side just a tad though if you want.
Quote by cuthbertg
on any electric guitar the standard medium action is 2.38 on the bass side at the 12, 1.59 on the high e at the 12 adding or subracting .4 mm from those measurements will give you high or low.

Start with that and then dial in to taste

these measurements do assume that you have your neck set correctly though.....

How do you check that?
Thanks.

As long as you cant hear the buzzing through your amp, don't worry about it. You can raise the bass side just a tad though if you want.

Oh I could a bit, but I can hear it without any amplification.
Quote by littlephil

not that i'm saying that you are wrong, but I have heard that before on UG and i dont agree at all! (fight, fight!) i'm afraid!

if it buzzes when unplugged its beacause the strings are hitting the freats. If you are using steel strings (90%) then the strings are made of harder stuff than your frets - so you are going to be grinding down your frets if if you cant hear the buzzing through the amp.

I think that must have originally come from somebody saying something like 'yeah mine buzz too, but I cant hear it through my amp so I dont give a ****' in response to a question along the same lines as this one

now don't hurt me!
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
I've read the same thing in magazines and books telling people how to set up action.
And buzzing isn't going to wear frets anywhere near as much as playing does. But some people do like no buzz at all. I get a bit of buzz with mine, but its completely inaudible through the amp whether its clean or distorted.
Quote by radomu
How do you check that?
Thanks.

I put a capo on the first fret, hold down the sting at the 16th (for a les paul) fret and measure at the 7th fret - I always use feeler gauges to measuer as well - my eyes arent good enough to do it with a ruler
Quote by littlephil
I've read the same thing in magazines and books telling people how to set up action.
And buzzing isn't going to wear frets anywhere near as much as playing does. But some people do like no buzz at all. I get a bit of buzz with mine, but its completely inaudible through the amp whether its clean or distorted.

Fair enough I suppose - it just does not make sense to me at all

I mean the other thing is, if its hitting the fret, then it's movent is being restricted by the frets so you are not getting the full range of overtones, timbres, harmonics, or whatever the correct terms are, that you would get if it wasn't

well that's my ha'pennys worth anyway
Quote by cuthbertg
I put a capo on the first fret, hold down the sting at the 16th (for a les paul) fret and measure at the 7th fret - I always use feeler gauges to measuer as well - my eyes arent good enough to do it with a ruler

I do exactly the same but I just use a credit card at the 8th fret and so long as it fits in there the I know its good.
Quote by Free
I do exactly the same but I just use a credit card at the 8th fret and so long as it fits in there the I know its good.

I love that way of thinking - you are my new hero!
Quote by littlephil
Good point. But I dont mean full on buzzing, just really light ringing.

Is it a problem when it buzzes without an amp?
Or is it my unskilled feature?
acoustic buzz not transmitted thru the amp is generally not considered a problem.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
acoustic buzz not transmitted thru the amp is generally not considered a problem.

Yeah I noticed that.
Yngwie Malmsteen was once playing his non-carved strat without an amp just thrashing on it and it was buzzing like hell.

So you don't see it as a problem?
i don't. neither would a tech if you brought it in to him.

did you check your neck relief?
are you happy with the action.

the guys seemed to have explained how to do that for you.

in addition, there's a setup thread. the green link in my sig.

if you have any additional questions, feel free to look over the first post, and ask questions.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
i don't. neither would a tech if you brought it in to him.

did you check your neck relief?
are you happy with the action.

the guys seemed to have explained how to do that for you.

in addition, there's a setup thread. the green link in my sig.

if you have any additional questions, feel free to look over the first post, and ask questions.

thanks, I'll check it out
any other measurements?
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Its still hair, you know.
well you can get measurements on the FAQ section of different manufacturer web sites.

but what's more important is how the guitar feels and plays for you.
those numbers are just a guide. if the strings feel high when you play them, then they are too high.

if you want low action then measure the neck's relief, make sure it's at the best angle possible, then adjust the bridge.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62