i have a lot of free time but i feel like i wasting my practice time, like im not focused..

im unable to make a good practice plan, so i come here for any suggestion...

i want to develop shreder speed at alternate nd sweep picking, but getting good at improvising (that mean scales), so i wondering whats a good practice pattern,

actually i go like..

15 min Diatonic Scales up & Down
15 min Scales along the fretboard
30 min Sweep Picking
30 min Chromatics..

and then practicing songs nd improvising the rest of the time,

when playing scales i have to think on the partterns, losing speed nd wondering if chromatics are useless... nd i dont think i get good at improvising this way.. my goal is to play diatonic scales efortlessly so i can just focus on speed and accuracy, is so frustrating having the speed but not the hability to use it

also may be interesting some ear exercices

any advice?
You really need to learn chords. Most lead guitar is played over chords, so you'll need a good grounding in how they work to be able to solo over them, and the best way to learn them is to play them. And 'having the speed but not the ability to use it' means that you can't really play that fast. Anyone can get a guitar and run their fingers over it fast, it's only people who sync both hands up over a period of years that can do it accurately. Don't be so obsessed with speed, be obsessed with accuracy.
try less time time on chromatics and a little more on putting the scales into a more practical context. also writing down licks you like when you improvise helps
as for the sweep picking that just takes time. try sitting down with a metronome and starting at a comfartable speed thn gradualy increase by 5bpm each time, you will soon notice the difference
Epiphone im happy with my speed at sweeping and alternate picking, the problem is.. i can play Chromatics at X BPM, but i play scales at 1/2 that BPM, i have the accuracy, but i have to think on the pattern losing speed on that, so i'll go with more concrete questions:

i should remove chromatics from my practice time and just practice scales up & down?

i know about intervals, chords, modes and that kind of stuff, there is any good exercice to learn a scale without thinking on patterns?

thanks for the replys, i appreciate your help very much =P
Quote by DrassaDX
Epiphone im happy with my speed at sweeping and alternate picking, the problem is.. i can play Chromatics at X BPM, but i play scales at 1/2 that BPM, i have the accuracy, but i have to think on the pattern losing speed on that, so i'll go with more concrete questions:

i should remove chromatics from my practice time and just practice scales up & down?

i know about intervals, chords, modes and that kind of stuff, there is any good exercice to learn a scale without thinking on patterns?

thanks for the replys, i appreciate your help very much =P

Just learn songs, even if you learn patterns, you still won't be able to play musical interesting solo's.

There are already 1000000+ people playing scales up and down at super speed. Noone cares about this.

There's much more to lead playing then that, like tone/timbre control and dynamics as well as rhythmic variations and flow.

Just learn solo's of ur favourite guitar players, and practice that to a metronome, that will improve 10 times as much then scales blazing up and down.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Feb 3, 2009,