Basically, I'm starting out, and I love stratocasters. I want one as its probably the best I can get thats pretty much good for anything. However, can it play the stuff I like, which is shred like things such as yngwie malmsteen, and probably the heaviest I'll go which is iron maiden. I also love blues and rock. I have a budget of £300, so it gives me £200 for a guitar, which means I'll have to get a high end squier, which I've heard actually aren't that bad, are they?

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Squier-Deluxe-Stratocaster,-Pearl-White-Metallic~ID~7615.asp

I'm most interested in this one ^ as it has the maple fretboard as I requested, is it good for me?
http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Squier-Vintage-Modified-Strat~ID~6024.asp

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Squier-Deluxe-Hot-Rails-Strat~ID~6959.asp

Which one out of them?Are they any good? If not those, any others that are good for £200? Also, is that the same colour as the strat played here? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS_IYe5JTZ4
If it isn't, can you please find me a strat which does have that colour, and is in the £200 cap?
To be honest I don't really want Humbuckers, and I'd like a maple fretboard, but whatever.

Finally, anyone know any other good shredders that use the fender stratocaster SSS?
Last edited by StratoMasterUG at Feb 3, 2009,
A Squier sounds really good!
I've had the first pack in the Netherlands i mean it was 350 gulden.
I see the Squier colors look greater now and i love the first one very much!

[http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Squier-Deluxe-Stratocaster,-Pearl-White-Metallic~ID~7615.asp]

good luck!

Nomar
sounds right for you
the second one might be best for you, but the last one will have more bite

STILL TRY BEFORE YOU BUY
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I wouldn't recommend buying a guitar before playing it, but that's just me.

To be honest, my guitar shop sells piece of crap ripoffs, and I daren't play them, they really are quite rubbish.
Quote by Nomar
A Squier sounds really good!
I've had the first pack in the Netherlands i mean it was 350 gulden.
I see the Squier colors look greater now and i love the first one very much!

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Squier-Deluxe-Stratocaster,-Pearl-White-Metallic~ID~7615.asp

good luck!

Nomar

Thanks, but your link doesn't seem to work, or is it just my spazzed cpu?
Delete the bracket at the end of the link after you click it
Ibanez Xiphos 7 String
Carvin V3 Head
Randall RH300G3
Randall 2x12-1x15 Straight Cab
Randall 4x12 V30's Angles Cab
You are obviously not a begginer. You wouldn't have an opinion on your favorite guitar, you wouldn't know about terms like humbuckers and highend, you wouldn't be able to play yngwie or iron maiden, and you probably wouldn't even have an account on here.
paul gilbert uses singlecoils, and yeah i'd try the guitar out first...
I'LL ALWAYS NEED THIS
I'LL ALWAYS NEED YOU
Quote by acoustielectric
You are obviously not a begginer. You wouldn't have an opinion on your favorite guitar, you wouldn't know about terms like humbuckers and highend, you wouldn't be able to play yngwie or iron maiden, and you probably wouldn't even have an account on here.

Then why the bugger would I ask?

Its called research. And who said I play like Yngwie? I like Yngwie Malmsteen, I didn't say I can play like him...

C'mon guys more posts!! I like the deluxe cause of its looks. Is it the same colour as the one in the video link? Thats all I need to know.EDIT: Also, is the QMT version the same, but just with the top?
you should play guitars before buying them unless you're completely comfortable with the lineup and style (for example, I know how an ESP/LTD should feel).

But, I would go with the first/second strat. If you want something with a little more 'umph' and you can find it, try to see if you can get a strat with a humbucker at the bridge. My first guitar was strat so it's a good (and cheap) way to get started before moving on to bigger and better things.

Best of luck and welcome to the world of panty dropping guitars.

Oh...and get the classic white, that's a sweet axe
gear
[="======================"]
ESP-LTD EX400 (black)
ESP-LTD Truckster (primer)
ESP-LTD MX130 (black)
Boss MT-2
Crate GX-60c [stock chorus/reverb]
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/68736
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/roland-micro-cube/12942

that's all you need to get started, spend the rest on bits and bobs like a strap and some plectrums.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You have some good choices there but if possible, try to play them before buying.

And for amplifiers look into the peavey viper or roland cube 15
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Quote by steven seagull
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/68736
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/roland-micro-cube/12942

that's all you need to get started, spend the rest on bits and bobs like a strap and some plectrums.

Erm... I dunno... I had my heart set on a squier strat...plus all those bits and bobs I'm paying for outside of the price. the 300 is just for amp lead and guitar.
Now I'm sure that most people would agree with me here; this is a sort of quality line:

Squier Bullet Stratocaster
****. Low end Squier.

Squier Affinity Stratocaster
****, bt less **** than the bullet.

Squier Standard Stratocaster.
Midway.

Squier Deluxe Stratocaster.
Start of the high end Squiers.

I'm not to sure where vintage squiers lie though.

Dunno about the colour though. I need to know this as well, just incase anybody knows. (compared with the donutman's guitar)

cwutididthar?

K, maybe not...
Bck to the Pit I go...

Last edited by SlayedInTheFace at Feb 3, 2009,
Quote by StratoMasterUG
Erm... I dunno... I had my heart set on a squier strat...plus all those bits and bobs I'm paying for outside of the price. the 300 is just for amp lead and guitar.

Why though? Squier is just a name - the Vintages are better guitars and also cheaper, there's no point spending more than you have to when you're starting ou...the £100 you save can go towards your US strat you buy next year
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

strats are pretty versatile, i think they are capable on producing metal, blues = strat, rock...psh rock works on anything
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Quote by steven seagull
Why though? Squier is just a name - the Vintages are better guitars and also cheaper, there's no point spending more than you have to when you're starting ou...the £100 you save can go towards your US strat you buy next year

I suppose...

Hes right
Last edited by SlayedInTheFace at Feb 3, 2009,
To Steven, it needs to be good enough for composing next year (september) because the guitar I pic know must be the one I use for GSCE... If you can tell me that it can do this, then I shall forget these and take your advice, wise birdman.
Quote by StratoMasterUG

The Vintage is a much better guitar than the Squier. And it's not like Squier has some kind of prestige...
I don't really understand. You can compose on any guitar, and it's not like a (crap) brand name on the headstock makes any particular three-single-coiled, vintage-tremmed, 22-fret doublecut better than any other for school.
my friend, you can get a fender, a real FENDER for about £200 where im at. dont buy a squier, if your anything like me, or any of the other USA strat players, you'll wish you hadnt.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

mexican fender, £189

my local store: www.machinehead.co.uk

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Last edited by Silver-spear94 at Feb 3, 2009,
^
used I presume, all I see on their site for that price is Squiers.

Quote by StratoMasterUG
Stil want confirmation from steven seagull though

I've been impressed with all the Vintages I've played considering the price, there's not really an awful lot to differentiate them from Squiers except for the fact that they're a damnsight cheaper.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Feb 3, 2009,
Quote by Silver-spear94
mexican fender, £189

my local store: www.machinehead.co.uk

I didn't see any mexican strats there for 190 pounds, those were all Squiers (the ones under 400 quid).

This is a mexican strat here:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/fender/standard_series

It's clearly about 400 quid.

I'm not a fan of Squiers, and if steven says that Vintage he linked to is better than those Squiers, I'm inclined to believe him, but I'd still try out the guitar first before buying it.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I wouldn't recommend buying a guitar before playing it, but that's just me.

Again, I wouldn't buy a guitar online. You would be completely screwed if it was set up wrong or something. Go to guitar shops ask them for squiers and play different ones and see which one you like.
Quote by steven seagull
^
used I presume, all I see on their site for that price is Squiers.

I've been impressed with all the Vintages I've played considering the price, there's not really an awful lot to differentiate them from Squiers except for the fact that they're a damnsight cheaper.

Do you think I'd be able to use it/ be useable for good gcse composing work? As everyone else who plays guitar whre I am have played for a while, or have really rich parents who have Gibson LP's and ****.

EDIT: This guitar also has to last me a year minimum
I have a Squier Tele Custom II P90 which cost me £170. It is not a strat but to give you an idea it is nice to play and sounds fine. If you aim for around that price point and make sure the guitar you buy is setup properly by the shop then you should have no real problems. Generally a £200ish guitar which has been set up properly is alot better than a £100 guitar. Also if you explain to the shop what you want they should give you some sort of discount if you buy your guitar, amp and tuner etc from the same place. When buying a guitar it is the guitar that suits you that matters.

Good Luck.
To be honest it doesn't make a blind bit of difference - you can compose on a £10 beater acoustic...you're worrying about something that isn't an issue.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
To be honest it doesn't make a blind bit of difference - you can compose on a £10 beater acoustic...you're worrying about something that isn't an issue.

Agreed. I've had a Squier Affinity since 2002, it still plays fine today through a decent amp.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
TRY B-4 U BUY is the best advice you'll get from anyone. You can find some used Fenders with dinks, dents, buckle rash etc. .that still play and sound very good. Nothing wrong with the Made in Mexico Fenders either and you can eventually replace the pickups (my SRV Texas Specials only cost me $115) If you're into shredding though, my favorite is and always will be my used '93 Peavey Tracer (made in Meridian Mississippi USA). If you do get a guitar with a Floyd Rose bridge, READ READ READ before you change strings, or it'll cost ya!!!