Hey Pit!
I'm writing this story that I'm hoping will develop into a novel & it's pretty odd & ermm... creepy/scary. So I was just wanting to ask what authors The Pit enjoy reading that write really messed up, freaky stories...

A couple of friends have suggested reading House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski, but for me (I don't read much) it seems massive!

So, any books that are really messed up & freaky, thanks?

& I'd prefer it if they weren't too long, cheers!
Read any Burroughs, but start with Naked Lunch if you want something crazy, I pretty much guarantee it will mess you up/you won't be able to get into it first time round.
The Long Hard Road Out of Hell by Manson has a really ****ed up story he wrote in it, as well as the **** about his life. It's awesome!
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
Stephanie Meyer.

I'm sick of hearing about House of Leaves! Nobody's even heard of it in the real world!
XIAOXI
Read House of Leaves. Seriously it looks big, but by the time you reach half way through, most of the pages have either 1-5 words, unreadable, or they are footnotes.

But if you need something else, Clockwork Orange.

Quote by Abunai X
Stephanie Meyer.

I'm sick of hearing about House of Leaves! Nobody's even heard of it in the real world!

I did a book report on HOL this year. Got some people to read it. It was a great month.
The Fellowship of the Ring is really odd. Especially that stoner, Tom Bombadil. I think he's a kiddy fiddler too, TBH.
Stephen King isn't like, extremely scary or anything, but his books are really good and would be put under the "horror" genre.
Member of the Laney Cult
The Christian Bale thread has reminded me:

American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis... A truly screwed up book, not for the obvious horror bits but for the fact you find yourself relating or sympathizing with Patrick Bateman...
Quote by JaykeSucks
Stephen King isn't like, extremely scary or anything, but his books are really good and would be put under the "horror" genre.

read The Cell by Stephen King. its a messed up, creepy book
H.P. Lovecraft
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
As soon as I read the title I was going to write 'House Of Leaves'

It isnt as massive as it looks, about half way in the book pages start getting less words etc, like for a good 50 or so pages there is only like a paragraph or less of writing. I have just finnished reading it and I can safely say it was immensely great, really wierd and unique, i'v never seen anything like it before.

Althouh maybe not in the same context, alot of Chuck Palahniuk's books are quite wierd/dark (the actual plots/circumstances of the characters rather than the storytelling)
Clive Barker. That man has no problem writing a story involving an amputee masturbating with a phantom limb.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
The Story Of The Eye
Lolita
Any Chuck Palahniuk book.

Good places to start, then build from there.
Choke by Palahniuk, that story was ****ed up.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Greek mythology has some great stories.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
this isn't a book but search "a hole in the wall" somewhere on UG, that was the most intense (c+p'd) article i ever read. I wish that was turned into a book, that was a great read.
Quote by MightyAl
The Fellowship of the Ring is really odd. Especially that stoner, Tom Bombadil. I think he's a kiddy fiddler too, TBH.

This. Suprisingly, The Fellowship of the Ring is pretty psychedelic.