Link

Anyone had any experience with these? I'm looking for an attenuator that I don't have to worry about the impedence of my amp with (mainly because I don't know it, at the moment it's set on "4(16)" so does it mean 4 or 16?). So yeah just wondering what this attenuator is like, I know it probably won't be as good as 1 that goes between amp and speaker as this goes in the fx loop, but i don't mind as I don't have £150+ to spend on an attenuator.
Cheers guys.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Technically this doesnt work as an attenuator!! The fx loop goes in before any sound hits the master volume. All this does is lower the gain of the signal that the master volume recieves. It doesnt 'soak' any of the power that the speaker recieves!!
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
Link

Anyone had any experience with these? I'm looking for an attenuator that I don't have to worry about the impedence of my amp with (mainly because I don't know it, at the moment it's set on "4(16)" so does it mean 4 or 16?). So yeah just wondering what this attenuator is like, I know it probably won't be as good as 1 that goes between amp and speaker as this goes in the fx loop, but i don't mind as I don't have £150+ to spend on an attenuator.
Cheers guys.

Why would an attenuator fix your impedance problem?

Why don't you tell us the exaxt JCM900 model you have, and show us a picture of the back of your amp? Then we can tell you what it's set to.
Cheers for the responses guys, as it happens my amps impedence is actually set to 8, remembered wrong, so nevermind about that haha. I posted this thread just before I went to work and whilst in work I remembered my rule for buying equipment, if I'm gonna buy something, no point buying cheap, thanks for letting me know it just operates as a master volume, no point getting that considering I already have one lol.
forsaknazrael my gear is in my sig. I'm not getting an attenuator to find out what impedence i'm at, I'm getting it so I can push my amp, the thing that confuses my about the impedence settings on my amp is that there is 8 (which it is set at now, straight forward, i get that) but the other says "4(16)" that's what confuses me, does that setting cover both 4Ohms and 16Ohms if i changed speakers or got an extra cab or is it just 4 or what, confuses me. I've asked a few times before and never got a straight answer, the 16 in brackets doesn't make sense to me.
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
It just allows you more options for speaker cabinets. Cabinets are usually 4, 8 or 16 ohms. Depends on the speakers, how many and how they are wired. If you are on 8 now then your cab should be at 8 as well. If you went to a buddies house for example and his cab was 4, then you would set your amp at 4.

If you want the benefits of what an attenuator provides then don't cheap out. Get a good one. I like the Weber stuff because it has resistors AND a load coil.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
It just allows you more options for speaker cabinets. Cabinets are usually 4, 8 or 16 ohms. Depends on the speakers, how many and how they are wired. If you are on 8 now then your cab should be at 8 as well. If you went to a buddies house for example and his cab was 4, then you would set your amp at 4.

If you want the benefits of what an attenuator provides then don't cheap out. Get a good one. I like the Weber stuff because it has resistors AND a load coil.

Well right now I have a 2x12 combo which it is set to 8 with. So say I get an extension 2x12 also 8ohms, so I have the 2 in the combo at 8 and the extension cab at 8 running together, that means I set the impedence on the actual amp to this 4(16) yeh?
I know these questions seem stupid, I feel stupid but just can't seem to get my head around the logistics all together, and the last thing I wanna do is go get another cab, set the impedence wrong and blow up my amp lol.
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
It depends on what ohms the speakers are individually and how they are wired.

If wired in series then you add them together (8+8) = 16

If wired in parallel then you do this:

(8x8)/(8+8) =
64/16 = 4

So if you are positive your cab is running at 8 total now then you probably have either 2 - 4ohm speakers wired in series or 2 - 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel. I THINK if you got another 8 ohm cab then your total impedence (ohms) of both would be 4. Get a second opinion on this as I'm not an amp tech.
Thanks man, I'm taking a guitar to my amp tech soon for a bit of TLC so I'll ask him while I'm there being as though he recently did some work on my amp, you've helped me understand a bit more though so thanks allot!
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
With a weber you don't really have to be concerned with impedance. Just set the amp at whatever, set the weber to match and it doesn't matte what the impedance of the speaker/cab is because your amp is matched up with the weber (so long as you don't set it to bypass, obviously if you plan on doing that make sure the cab matches as well)

On the note of brands, I'm I always suggest weber. First, the price is right (they are really quite simple, what THD charges is just shameful considering it's a few jacks and a some power resistors). Second, they are well made, I've ran more than fifty watts to my fifty watt miniMASS with no ill effects (still would suggest getting one large enough to handle your amp). Third, and while I have not tested this myself it makes sense, they sound better due to having a reactive load (speaker voice coil) along with the resistors.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Weber's attenuators are better than THDs, but the best system is still the UA which is a re-amping.

One can actually build a load box with a line out and re-amp quite easily...