Is there any famous decent guitarist that took up guitar in their 20s

I started when I was 22. Not saying I want to be famous, that's kind of lame, but I want to get good
the later you start the harder it is because your fingers have already fully grown and developed. Learning guitar is like growing your fingers all over again, that's why at a younger age your fingers adapt more easier making your more potentially better at guitar.

Nah jokes, i dunno lol?
Tbh I think that's a bit of a myth.

Obviously the earlier you start the better but the young muscle thing is incorrect, isn't it?
Last edited by Tkm at Feb 3, 2009,
I would think it is just due to the body being able to adapt adn learn easier at a younger age. It seems that as we get older, we are more set in our ways and our bodies don't like to learn new things without a fight.

I am 34 and just started playing guitar about 6 months ago. With a family and a a few jobs, it is difficult to get more than 30 minutes a day which also hinders older people from learning quickly. When you are young, life doesn't seem to get in the way as easily.

You can do it, but it will take a bit more effort.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
you can def do it...work ur ass off, start a band at the age of 25 and there are artists who dont make it big till theyre 30 (although theyd been tryin for 10 years)
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
pleez, i'm 45 yr old single mom. i started playing classical as a kid but was a way for many years before i picked a guitar up again. 1 divorce, 1 kid a few jobs, and a lot of bills later, the fire has been reignited and my goal is to have an old skool funk band by the time i'm 50. Anyone can do anything they put their mind to. it's not easy, but if you love it, you can do it. Work it out TKM, OMG to be 22 again!!!!!!!
Famous =/= good. There are plenty of guitarists out there who are godly but aren't famous. Also, picking up guitar to get famous is setting yourself up for disappointment.
Jack Black, but he got famous for his acting, not his music.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I tinkered with a little in my teens, but quite honestly I didn't have the drive and focus.

Just started again (33) and I'm learning MUCH faster now, by myself, than I did with a teacher back then.

That's more of an indication of my ability to concentrate, focus and keep myself motivated now than when I was a teenager. But still, valid.
I started guitar just before I turned 34. Ive been at it now just over a year now, and I think Im learning at a ok pace.

The main hinderance for me is time. Not age or old fingers or a slow brain or whatever nonsense people under 20 think.

I have a full time job still (thankfully) a house to take care of, wife, 2 kids (8 and 3), a 4 hour commute everyday (to and from). I usually get in AT LEAST 30 minutes of practice each day. I strive for an hour.

Revel in your youth guys, cause when its gone its gone. I dont miss the youth of being young, I miss the freedom of being young.
I originally started when I was 10, played until I was 25, then had an accident on my left hand which put an end to that.

Now I'm 36, and have started to play left handed since November.

It's pretty hard (I used to able to play some Vai & Satriani stuff which annoys me no end at the moment), but I think my practise regime is much more regimented now, as I know what skills I need to build, and also how to build them. I think I may end being better left handed - with a lot of perseverance.

I think the main issue is the amount of practise and playing you put in; as well as the 'kind' of practising you are doing.

Playing for 10 mins every other day for 25 years is probably not as good as playing for 2 to 3 hours a day for 5 years.
Right handed guitarist trying to learn to play lefty after a ten year break, and a severe left-hand injury!

Wish me luck ;-)
Quote by Howard2k
I tinkered with a little in my teens, but quite honestly I didn't have the drive and focus.

Just started again (33) and I'm learning MUCH faster now, by myself, than I did with a teacher back then.

That's more of an indication of my ability to concentrate, focus and keep myself motivated now than when I was a teenager. But still, valid.

I agree COMPLETELY. I too played some as a teenager. Guitar class in high school with David Pritchard and the boys. Good times! But I lacked the focus that I have now at 44! My daughter said "Dad, I wanna learn guitar" Naturally she quit after a few months but I grabbed hold and I am having a great time! I have even been asked to play publicly on a permanent basis. There is SO much available via the internet now that it is much easier to find resources.
/ramble
My anger managment class is really starting to piss me off!!
Got a guitar for myself when I turned 30...Ill be 35 this year...I think Im decent enuff...but I put in a LOT of time and practice. I think most famous people that got famous prolly started like I did on a different instrument, ala dave grohl....
Tom Scholtz from Boston I believe started playing guitar at age of 21 or so. But he also did a bunch of other stuff, like come up with his own effects and amps (or something like that, I don't remember too well), and I believe he played keyboard as well.

He's not the best guitarist ever, there's probably some people on this forum that are way better than him. But he is a great musician, he has composed some great songs, and that's what's made him famous.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by Tkm
Is there any famous decent guitarist that took up guitar in their 20s

I started when I was 22. Not saying I want to be famous, that's kind of lame, but I want to get good

Eric Clapton didn't play seriously until early to mid 20's. That's gotta count for something, lol.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
Eric Clapton didn't play seriously until early to mid 20's. That's gotta count for something, lol.

Wow, that's really something.

I believe in how much effort you put in rather how long you have been playing...
“The guy said NBA players are one in a million, ... I said, 'Man, look, I'm going to be that one in a million.'”
Kobe Bryant
In my opinion starting late has it`s advantages i`m 45 and have far more patience than i had as a teen ,
yes all six strings buzz !! but it`s unique isn`t it
Quote by captivate

ya but he palyed since he was like 12, have you rad his book? he used to jsut sit in his room and listen to songs and try to play them. pretty crazy but i guess it worked for him
Well if I remember correctly, K.K. Downing of Priest started at around 16...if you consider that late :S
Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols, who really isnt that bad, started when he joined the band. He isnt great technically, but hes pretty famous and isnt too bad.
Quote by titans43
ya but he palyed since he was like 12, have you rad his book? he used to jsut sit in his room and listen to songs and try to play them. pretty crazy but i guess it worked for him

then theres that photo where he playing (least atttempting to) a ukelele when he's naught but five years old.
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
I think Tom Morello started when he was 18 or 19, if you count that as late, but he also had good lessons...
Well, I believe Glenn Tipton of Judas Priest started around 19, but he already knew piano before that, so I guessed he had a jump start in terms of theory.
Hey, I am new to the forums. I joined partly because of this discussion.

Motivation, talent, smarts, personality and hardwork are the ingredients to success. Age is not even a factor. Motivation will keep you persistent which big wig producers love. talent will obviously bring you attention. Smarts is what is needed to realize the opportunities in front of you and you need to know how to make those opportunities work for you. Most famous people are extremely gifted at persuasion and getting people to do what they want. A smart person will also know the best ways to use networking and marketing to their advantage such as those who became famous on youtube for doing nothing or little else. Personality will obviously give you fans. (A person with not so great musical skills but an attractive personality can be forgiven for playing not as good as someone else.) And hardwork--a hardworker is noticed because hard work pays off.

That's great you decided to start the guitar. And I would not listen to any negative comments. Being a late starter has no bearing on what you can accomplish musically. It depends on how hard you are willing to work and how much you love music. Django Reinhardt had three fingers and is considered one of the best guitarist who ever lived. And Julia Stiles learned the hardest positions of ballet in 8 hours of hard study for the movie Save the Last Dance. Just goes to show that motivation will get you where you need to go.

Well that's my two sense.
Quote by Meticulous
Well if I remember correctly, K.K. Downing of Priest started at around 16...if you consider that late :S

Pretty sure he was 21+.

Either him or Glenn, can't remember. I know one of them did.

edit: Ignore that, sorry you were right. Glenn Tipton started at 21
Last edited by GordianKn0t at Mar 9, 2009,
I started about a year and a half ago. played bass for 2 years before that. I'm 29 and I think I'm doing good. I think starting out younger just gives you lots of time to develop. A guitarist starting at 30 learning at the same rate as a 15 year old should be at the same level in 10 years IMO
Wes Montgomery started playing guitar when he was 20 and he was completely self-taught.
46 years later and the man is still revered and is considered by some to be the greatest jazz guitarist ever.
I like rap, feel free to use that as an argument against me.
pleez, i'm 45 yr old single mom. i started playing classical as a kid but was a way for many years before i picked a guitar up again. 1 divorce, 1 kid a few jobs, and a lot of bills later, the fire has been reignited and my goal is to have an old skool funk band by the time i'm 50. Anyone can do anything they put their mind to. it's not easy, but if you love it, you can do it. Work it out TKM, OMG to be 22 again!!!!!!!

+1

have this attitude and you will basically own