Does the fingering on a down sweep necessarily follow on an up sweep?

Sometimes I am more comfortable with different fingerings as long as it is not done repeatedly, although, I still feel the need of using the same fingering when doing the same sweep repeatedly, up and down

I am very new to this technique and would like to learn more about it. Can you recommend me some songs with some sweeps I can practice on? moderately easy?

thanks
It doesn't necessarily follow the up sweep, assuming it's a different sweep. If it's the same sweep, you should use the same fingers. Ergonomics.

i.e For Dethklok's Duncan Hills Coffee Jingle, you should use the same fingerings both ways:
(Starting at the high E, going down to the A)
12 12 Fingering: 1
13 13 2
12 12 1
14 14 3
15 15 4

and then just that in reverse when going back to the high E 4

If you want to see the actual sweep nicely, look for Skwisgaars instructional video :p
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by Myung'sMusicman
On sweeps I find it easier to do the same fingerings up and down if they are the same shapes up and down but there is no rule saying that you have to do that. It's really what ever works for you... Well that's how I feel, everyone's different you know?

But isn't it a bad habit?
^^ that

It also depends on the situation. Just go with ur common sense etc.

If you happen to find a situation where you feel it would be easier to do it different, then feel free too post

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by batiboy06
But isn't it a bad habit?

if it feels good and works for you then its not a bad habit
Fender Standard Stratocaster w/ Hot Noiseless Pickups
G&L Asat Special Semi Hollow
Alvarez Artist AD80SSB Acoustic
Peavey Valve King 112
Roland Micro Cube
Nobel ODR-1 Pedal
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss CH-2
Boss FZ-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Here I wrote an odd odd situation that might occur;

e|-----12-15-12-----------|
B|---13--------13---------|
G|-14------------[B]14[/B]-12-11-|
D|------------------------|
A|------------------------|
E|------------------------|
   3 2 1  4  1 2[B] 4[/B]  2  1

You see the 14th fret G string (bolded), when you go down you use a different finger to lead better into the 12th and 11th fret after that note.

Here you thus change the finger on the first/last note on the sweep, and I would do something like this if I come across such a lick. Though you don't have to, but It could make it easier. This is just what feels best for you + common sense.

I chose this fingering because I have small fingers/hands. Someone else might just use the same fingering.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Feb 3, 2009,
Aj Minette has a good practice sweeps thing. The guitar pro I do have I may be able to send it your way but also check Alaska by BTBAM people say they are pretty easy sweeps and they move a lot I can't play them but I am not that great yet. Plus I don't practice sweeps as much as I should. Try Alaska intro and look for the minette thing if you can't find it Ill try to send it to you or something when i I get home from class
Quote by Myung'sMusicman
Aj Minette has a good practice sweeps thing. The guitar pro I do have I may be able to send it your way but also check Alaska by BTBAM people say they are pretty easy sweeps and they move a lot I can't play them but I am not that great yet. Plus I don't practice sweeps as much as I should. Try Alaska intro and look for the minette thing if you can't find it Ill try to send it to you or something when i I get home from class

Great! Thanks man.