I recently installed new pickups in my guitar. they work but are very quiet. Im just wondering if it could be pickup height. will a 5+mm too low have a seriously adverse effect on volume or only a small effect?
Depends on the pickups. Active pickups tend to be more sensitive to height adjustments, but regardless, it's still important no matter what pickups you're using.
they are not active, jst a set of Duncans, SB4b and SB2n. il give raising the pickups a go tonight. they really have lost a ton of volume.
test it out for yourself...it made a difference for me but not hugeee...but def a diff
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Strat pickups need to be a little lower than humbuckers. The magnetic fields on their PUs can affect the strings vibrations adversely.
Measure the PU height by pressing the string at the last fret and measure from the PU and bottom of the string.
For Fender factory specs ilooks like 1/8" Bass & 3/32" treble (higher for Sensors is OK @ 1/16")
Gibson factory setup for HB is 1/16" Bass & 3/32" treble.
These numbers are from Dan Erlewine's GUitar Player repair Manual as measured by himself.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Feb 3, 2009,
Humbuckers need to be lower than strat pickups because they have stronger magnets and therefore are more likely to interfere with string vibrations.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The effect depends on the pickups, like steven and others have mentioned. It also depends on your amp and picking to a certain degree.

I personally don't hear all that much of a difference, but thats most likely due to my setup and playing. If you play very articulate blues with softer and harder picking etc. You are bound to notice a bigger difference.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by steven seagull
Humbuckers need to be lower than strat pickups because they have stronger magnets and therefore are more likely to interfere with string vibrations.

The magnetic field on a Strat coil is actually stronger than a humbuckers! The HB's two coils cancell each other out to a degree and is how they reduce hum! Read up on Strats and you'll see it' common to have intonation problems if the PUs are too high.
Moving on.....
strat pull is stronger because it's more concentrated.

and there's an explanation of tonal differences in the first post, in the green link in my sig.

dont forget the importance of adjusting pole pieces too.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011