Hi...after noodling around enough on my son's electric guitar I've decided I need my own. The question I have is whether there's any risk in purchasing a guitar online vs. through a brick & morter store. I've read reviews about x&y guitar needing lots of setup/tweaking out of the box, which I don't have any clue how to do. As a beginner, should this detract me from buying a guitar online? If I purchase a guitar through a shop, do they typically include the setup w/ the cost of the guitar? Just wondering...THANKS!!!
Well, for a starter guitar I'd say internet wouldn't hurt that much. Ibanez has got some good ones. But for a real 'quality' guitar, shop.
You could get a good deal online, then take the newly bought guitar to the bricks and morter store to get it set up. It may save you some $$ however you need to take the shipping costs into account. Another thing about online is that you can find MOST models and find the exact guitar you want. The local shops may not have the one you want. If the cost of the guitar + shipping + set up at the local guitar shop is less expensive then buying the guitar and getting it set up at the store then i would go online. If the opposite occurs go with the shop.
Quote by Pageles
You could get a good deal online, then take the newly bought guitar to the bricks and morter store to get it set up. It may save you some $$ however you need to take the shipping costs into account. Another thing about online is that you can find MOST models and find the exact guitar you want. The local shops may not have the one you want. If the cost of the guitar + shipping + set up at the local guitar shop is less expensive then buying the guitar and getting it set up at the store then i would go online. If the opposite occurs go with the shop.

I agree - if you can get the cost of the guitar with shipping less 40$ then the store, it will benifit you to spend that money on getting it setup

Although - i will say, if you have a nice local guitar store (not guitar center), most guitars on the wall are inspected and setup
Online: cheaper (at least cheaper than stores here), you can find anything, but you can't try.
Store: more expensive, you can't find all, but you can try before buy.

It's your choice mate.
Quote by Poglia
Online: cheaper (at least cheaper than stores here), you can find anything, but you can't try.
Store: more expensive, you can't find all, but you can try before buy.

It's your choice mate.

Yeah, basically, this.
Quote by boyd98
Although - i will say, if you have a nice local guitar store (not guitar center), most guitars on the wall are inspected and setup

+1

I think the only positive thing about shopping at a local place is that you actually get to play before you buy.
this&that wrote:

And all we're going to hear is ARGH CLICKCLICKCLICK TAPTAPTAP WAMMMYYYY CLICILCKCLICK ARGH IM SO BADASS AT METALLICA

The only plus to online is that you could get it cheaper.

In store you've got room to haggle, get freebies chucked in, plus you're hearing, feeling and playing the actual guitar you're gonna get.
I buy mine shops as like people say you can test them out before you buyand also if you have any problems you can talk to the guys in the shop. Often the difference in price between on line and shop is that not that great.
Some local shops do price match too. If you find one at a local shop come in with some ammo. "Oh, I can get that for x amount of $ on this website." I know this doesn't work everywhere but some places it does. It is nice to keep your sale local if you can too. The only other problem buying online is you could get a lemon. Depending on what you are looking at buying, I have tried the same model guitar but tried three or four of them and no two were alike.
I usually buy mine online lol shame on me, I know, but I always test the model I want at Guitar Center. Then for the actual guitar, theres a return policy if the neck isnt right or finish flaw or w/e. Plus online = free shipping & no tax.

However, to be honest... I CL and eBay more than anything. I cant really afford new guitars, but "like-new" or "good condition with honest wear" used ones though, thats a different matter
Quote by racman92
Trust Jim, dude. He's a hero to us all. Don't dishonor him with such petty doubts.

LOL my petty doubts :P You're right though
i learnt my lesson from buying online. i bought a guitar from zzounds in like november of 07 and when i got it it had the jenkiest fret job ever, pretty much unplayable unless i wanted to pay a good amount of money to have the frets leveled/crowned,etc. which i wasn't interested in after dropping $650 on a schecter. so i returned it and headed down to my local shop, which has a pretty limited selection, but still some really nice stuff, and got myself an ltd viper 400, plays like a dream.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
As everyone else said, Online is cheaper, but you could try out guitars @ stores.
Btw, stores don't always do set ups for you, but you could try to haggle as part of the deal. depends on the store.

Since you're a beginner, I'd recommend you get a Yamaha Pacifica 112. Best bang for your buck, its basically a mim strat, more or less, and shouldn't need setup.
Quote by rastaman12
What do people usually do after they **** their sisters?
Quote by snarlNbutter
I usually buy mine online lol shame on me, I know, but I always test the model I want at Guitar Center. Then for the actual guitar, theres a return policy if the neck isnt right or finish flaw or w/e. Plus online = free shipping & no tax.

However, to be honest... I CL and eBay more than anything. I cant really afford new guitars, but "like-new" or "good condition with honest wear" used ones though, thats a different matter

I wouldn't say shame on you. I agree with you on the return policy part too. But if I can get the guitar locally for the same price + tax I'm all in. I too love e-bay but still haven't bought a guitar on there. Not because I'm afraid to, just because I haven't found "The One" and because I'm an idiot. I have let three guitars get taken by someone else because I was outbid or too thrifty to press the BIN button. Damn.
Quote by turbomatic
Hi...after noodling around enough on my son's electric guitar I've decided I need my own. The question I have is whether there's any risk in purchasing a guitar online vs. through a brick & morter store. I've read reviews about x&y guitar needing lots of setup/tweaking out of the box, which I don't have any clue how to do. As a beginner, should this detract me from buying a guitar online? If I purchase a guitar through a shop, do they typically include the setup w/ the cost of the guitar? Just wondering...THANKS!!!

Well my shop generally includes a free setup with guitars abou I believe the price line is $350-400. Depends on the guitar as to how well the setup is done from the factory Ive played a few neck thru RG's at my local store and they were amazingly setup I asked the salesman if that was factory setup and he said it was.

Online is generally just gonna be more convenient and easier than actually going to the store. Still I HIGHLY recommend at least going to a store to try out the guitar you plan to buy online because your gonna be disspointed if you think it looks like a great guitar and you get it and it doesnt feel right to you.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
I've never bought a guitar from a shop in my life
all online
its disadvantages:
1) Dont get to try them out before having to make an important decision
2) COuld get ripped off (unless you use PayPal)
3) If it breaks there's usually no guarantees
4) The day they deliver it, no one is home. You often have to waait and waaaait >_<

Advantages:
1) Hell of a lot cheaper. Sometimes there are some hardcore deals
2) You can check a seller's reputation and see all their feedback. You can have your questions answered not only by the seller but from their past customers
3) You get to see a hell of a lot more axes. There are only so many guitars in a shop.

Personally I'd go online every time, but tbh thats laziness more than any carefully-deduced choice
thanks to all...i don't think i could buy it w/o playing it first...so if i do purchase online it'll be a model i've already tested. i spent a good hour this past weekend trying out stuff where my kid takes lessons and some i liked, others i hated. why are the ones i liked so damn expensive???? thanks again...
Quote by turbomatic
thanks to all...i don't think i could buy it w/o playing it first...so if i do purchase online it'll be a model i've already tested. i spent a good hour this past weekend trying out stuff where my kid takes lessons and some i liked, others i hated. why are the ones i liked so damn expensive???? thanks again...

Good idea yeah just test until you find something you really like then buy it, you dont wanna settle with guitars thats how you end up hating the guitar 2 months later like I did with my first axe
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
if you're a beginner, i'd buy at a local shop, it's nice to be able to run back in tears if and when something goes wrong...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by turbomatic
why are the ones i liked so damn expensive???? thanks again...

They're expensive because they're good most of the time. But what everyone else said is true. I like testing out a guitar and buying it online. Tax here is around 8.5% and I tend to buy higher end guitars. So if a guitar is $1000, that's $85 tax. The better the guitar, the less likely you'll get a lemon. You can get it cheaper from online. I was going to get an American Special Strat from musicians friend, and I got the lady on the phone to bring the price down to $1030 when it was originally $1200. I also don't like the idea of a guitar that's been played by hundreds of people. I've never seen a guitar on a store wall that looked as good as a fresh one out of the box. Plus, the only guitars I order come with hardcases, so they don't get damaged during delivery. 2 cardboard boxes, and a hardcase is enough to keep a guitar safe. The deliver people would have to purposely try hard to damage it.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Feb 3, 2009,
If you buy from store, you can try before you buy, you'll get it right then and there. But they may have limited stock.

Online, guitar may get damaged during delivery, could take ages to get to you, a lot of hassle returning it if there's something wrong with it.
Fender US Standard Strat '07
Epiphone Les Paul '94
Marshall MG100FX
Dunlop Cry Baby
Boss ME-70
Boss TU-2
support ur local shop esspecially in this economy
\m/ metal up your ass
Quote by Lchoke

lol well the local shop aint supporting me in this economy! im broke! and they charge how much for a pickup swap? or set-up? thats why i learn to do everything myself lol plus sometimes, they dun even do it right or at all O_O and the prices on their guitars... sometimes they are flat out dishonest. try to sell you a used guitar for the price of a new one!

One time this local shop "Music ___" something cheesy, sold my friend a MIM guitar used. They charged him full new price for it, but told him he was getting like nearly 600 dollars off since Fenders normally run 1k list. But it says Made In Mexico on the headstock. My friend was a moron and bought it. I called the place and they dont take returns on "final sale items" which all used items qualified as. To this day... my friend thinks he's playing an American Strat. I never had the heart to break the news...

its okay tho, he's a spoiled lil punk anyways!

anyways imma stop since this thread been dead anyway lol
Quote by racman92
Trust Jim, dude. He's a hero to us all. Don't dishonor him with such petty doubts.

LOL my petty doubts :P You're right though
Quote by cranium2001
I have let three guitars get taken by someone else because I was outbid or too thrifty to press the BIN button. Damn.

agreed
those people that bid on eBay are experienced, bid last minute buyers
bit of advice i've learned from experience and i'm sure you realized it too
don't bid until the last few minutes, there is no point
it either goes up past what you are willing to pay or you bid last second and get it

i actually just bought a guitar of eBay today and paid for it
I really hope it's good
here's the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=350198964244
what do you guys think
you think it was a good deal and a good condition guitar?
Quote by Lchoke

sort of hard if your local shop doesn't carry the gear you want to try (case in point my Caparison i had to purchase it from another state completely) also given that i'm asian and am prone to being stingy most people will probably want to be looking for the good deals and often online shops will tend to be able to sell goods at a lower price since they won't have a shop to pay the rent for or staff to pay to sit on their asses looking on myspace.
Quote by snarlNbutter
lol well the local shop aint supporting me in this economy! im broke! and they charge how much for a pickup swap? or set-up? thats why i learn to do everything myself lol plus sometimes, they dun even do it right or at all O_O and the prices on their guitars... sometimes they are flat out dishonest. try to sell you a used guitar for the price of a new one!

One time this local shop "Music ___" something cheesy, sold my friend a MIM guitar used. They charged him full new price for it, but told him he was getting like nearly 600 dollars off since Fenders normally run 1k list. But it says Made In Mexico on the headstock. My friend was a moron and bought it. I called the place and they dont take returns on "final sale items" which all used items qualified as. To this day... my friend thinks he's playing an American Strat. I never had the heart to break the news...

its okay tho, he's a spoiled lil punk anyways!

+1. some of the local shops here are pretty decent, but they still rarely have anything i want to buy. if they did (and at a sensible price), i'd buy from them.

also, very few of the local shops carry british-made stuff (other than marshall, orange and laney, which i don't really want, plus they only stock them because they're popular), so their argument that i should support them because they're local is more than a little hypocritical. they don't stock cornford, cornell, etc. etc. because they're local...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Try at store,
then check the prices,
if the online store has better offers on the same guitars you testet at store
- buy them online.
Quote by SolKanar77
agreed
those people that bid on eBay are experienced, bid last minute buyers
bit of advice i've learned from experience and i'm sure you realized it too
don't bid until the last few minutes, there is no point
it either goes up past what you are willing to pay or you bid last second and get it

i actually just bought a guitar of eBay today and paid for it
I really hope it's good
here's the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=350198964244
what do you guys think
you think it was a good deal and a good condition guitar?

Very true. I bought a Sunburst VG Strat that still had all the sticky labels on it and never played and was indistinguisable from new over a year ago and paid only $1200 shipped. At that time it was hard to find a used one under $1500. Now that it is discontinued, you can find them for $999, but I don't care, it was worth having this length of time.

Also, recently picked up a near perfect '93 Yamaha Pacifica MJ-112M (not sure if that is the exact model number) for only $149 shipped with a neck that had been professionally set up and worked on, and the action is awesome. The only way you can tell it is used is that the maple neck is beautifully aged.

Both guitars took me over 3 weeks of looking on EBay to find, so you have to be patient, and know what you are buying. I waited to bid on both until there was less than 10 seconds left.
Last edited by Gage2k5 at May 9, 2009,