Page 1 of 2
i been on the hunt for a low price half stack. for playing pinkfloyd, sabbath, bowie etc.

i played it, liked it. sounds alot like my 200 watt crate combo, but it has so many presets and channels, it so crazy.

what do you guys think about this amp package, for my type of music?

how about the Line 6 HD150 Guitar Amp Head with Marshall MG412A or MG412B 120W 4x12 Guitar Extension (as opossed to the spider cab) 243.59+360=603.59

Line 6 HD150 Guitar Amp Head with Spider III 4x12 Cabinet $650
Quote by joecerillo
i been on the hunt for a low price half stack. for playing pinkfloyd, sabbath, bowie etc.

i played it, liked it. sounds alot like my 200 watt crate combo, but it has so many presets and channels, it so crazy.

what do you guys think about this amp package, for my type of music?

how about the Line 6 HD150 Guitar Amp Head with Marshall MG412A or MG412B 120W 4x12 Guitar Extension (as opossed to the spider cab) 243.59+360=603.59

Line 6 HD150 Guitar Amp Head with Spider III 4x12 Cabinet $650

Avoid spider and Marshall MG cabs, why do you need a half stack?

Any decent combos you like?

Whats your budget?
No, no, ummm no and NO.

Look at a B-52 combo or even a DSL401.

No half-stack for you!
Quote by davedoom
No, no, ummm no and NO.

Look at a B-52 combo or even a DSL401.

No half-stack for you!

Look at what he can afford.

Maybe save up. Buy a nice tube, +1 to the DSL401, I might be getting one soon.
The MG cabs are pretty low quality with cheap low quality speakers in em they arent going to be good with even a good head unit. And anything in the spider line is junk. They have alot of presets but their tone is digital and sterile, and their reliability is really low. When it comes to a half stack expect to spend money or get low quality.
if u really really need a halfstack buy a bugera, theyre good for ur style, they sound good, and theyre cheap
I tried one out before at a guitar store they sound alright the pre-sets are nice and all, but I'd rather have a really solid tube amp to gig with then a line 6. and then just expand my pedal board to get the sound I need. and if your just practicing you really don't need a big amp like that if you were giging yeah maybe. I would save up my money for a fender amp, Mesa boogie, or something not a solid state. Mesa's can get any sound you want too
i would spend around 550. i have a great combo . the crate v series 200 watt. i love that thing. but i liked all the channels built into the head of the ine 6, the presets were cool but i get a more realistic " another brick in the wall sound" with my pedals rather than its preset. but it seemed ver versitile to me. sound quality the same as my crate on clean channel. but i would really like to take my sound quality up a notch. keeping in mindthat floyd, sabbath, and bowie are very "bluesy" types of a rock genre
also whats the deal with the peavy windsor it seems so cheap for a tube stack? $399 for a 100 watt tube amp
I've heard Windsor might be Peavey's try at a British voiced amp but I'm not too sure.
If you're going for bluesy stuff, you might wanna check out a smaller tube amp. One you crank it, you'll get a good overdrive sound perfect for stuff like that.

Seriously half stacks are overrated, I have a 100w tube head and I've never gone past 11 o' clock on it.
Maybe try out a Fender, like the Hot Rod series. Don't worry about the low wattage, it'll still be loud as heck.
My Gear
Ibanez SR520EX with EMG 81/85 and boost
Peavey Valveking Head w/ Crate Blue Voodoo Cab
Peavey VB-2
Spector Euro 4
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
Quote by joecerillo
also whats the deal with the peavy windsor it seems so cheap for a tube stack? $399 for a 100 watt tube amp

Look, complete half-stacks for under 1000€ are usually crap.

Get a combo or spend more money.

You could always go used, I got my head for 450€.
The presets on all line 6's are NOT a reason to buy them. Most of the presets sound the same

And line 6's in that range sux
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
If you currently have a Crate combo amp and the Line6 spider half-stack sounds similar on the clean channel, why would you buy it? Why would you buy something that sounds the same?

What you should be doing is trying to upgrade.

Forget half stacks, and forget getting something powerful. You DON'T NEED 100 watts. My 50 watt Traynor would blow your eardrums on full volume. Ok not really, but you get my point. I asked you in the previous thread you made what genre of music you're looking to play and also what you will be using it for, bedroom practice, gigging, basement practice, etc. and I don't believe you answered.

To answer your question in this thread, stay away from anything Line6 unless it's a Vetta or a Flextone, and stay away from anything Marshall that's under $1500 brand new. And as I said in the previous thread, the Peavey Windsor head is a very loud amp, 100 watts of tube power is a LOT. Why don't you tell us what you're buying an amp for?
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by MustangSVT
Vetta or a Flextone, and stay away from anything Marshall that's under $1500 brand

JCM 800 Kerry King sig is pretty beastly for about 1000-1300€
well the problem is when i turn up my combo , its not clear. as im trying to overpower the drummer. for example if im playing ziggy stardust, the lead parts come out all smushed. idk how to explain it. its great when im in my room. when were in the studio, its not clear. its supposed to be a 200watt amp, but i heard u need a preamp or something to achieve that.

crate vtx 200s
Quote by joecerillo
well the problem is when i turn up my combo , its not clear. as im trying to overpower the drummer. for example if im playing ziggy stardust, the lead parts come out all smushed. idk how to explain it. its great when im in my room. when were in the studio, its not clear. its supposed to be a 200watt amp, but i heard u need a preamp or something to achieve that.

crate vtx 200s

So you're saying that your amp is muddy at high volume. It's probably a cheap 200 watt solid state, that's what I would expect. You need a nice tube amp, like 40W or 50W, but you need to tell us what genre you're playing and your price range if you want us to give advice. I've asked this like twice now and you haven't said anything.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

What? Sell the Crate, and take your already earned cash and you can find a kick ass tube amp for that much that can be used in the bedroom, at the studio, or in jam sessions. Having 2 crappy amps to fulfill different needs marginally at most is no comparison to 1 amp that can meet all of your needs respectably.

There's plenty of good tube amps to be found used....Marshall DSL401, Peavey XXX, Peavey Classics, Traynors, Fender Hot Rods, Bugeras, used Marshall JCM800/900's on the occasion, ect. ect.
Quote by SayAnything
What? Sell the Crate, and take your already earned cash and you can find a kick ass tube amp for that much that can be used in the bedroom, at the studio, or in jam sessions. Having 2 crappy amps to fulfill different needs marginally at most is no comparison to 1 amp that can meet all of your needs respectably.

There's plenty of good tube amps to be found used....Marshall DSL401, Peavey XXX, Peavey Classics, Traynors, Fender Hot Rods, Bugeras, used Marshall JCM800/900's on the occasion, ect. ect.

Yea what this guy said. Sell your Crate, and you have that GC $550 money, get like a new Fender Hot Rod deluxe or a Bugera or something like that, Traynor, Peavey Classic, Peavey XXX, those are all good amps.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

a Spider head and a MG cab.

Look at the B-52s
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Quote by MustangSVT
So you're saying that your amp is muddy at high volume. It's probably a cheap 200 watt solid state, that's what I would expect. You need a nice tube amp, like 40W or 50W, but you need to tell us what genre you're playing and your price range if you want us to give advice. I've asked this like twice now and you haven't said anything.

i play alot of pink floyd. black sabbath. david bowie. so i guess thats the "bluesy" classic rock genre
usualy the floyd is on my clean channel, bowie on my hot channel, and sabbath on the heavy. so the 3 channels work for me
A Tiny Terror completely lacks the versatility he seeks.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by joecerillo
was the difference between lets say a mg can and a 1960;s series cab

The 1960 has professional grade speakers and is made of some sort of real wood while the MG has crap speakers and is made of plywood.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II
Quote by joecerillo
was the difference between lets say a mg can and a 1960;s series cab

****ING FORGET A STACk

you don't seem to understand what 99.9% of this board is telling you : DONT BUY A HALFSTACK

get a tube combo. B-52 AT 112 is great for $360

Bugera 333xl combo is like $600 i think. Great amp, but some reliability issues

Peavey classic 30 : used is like $370, new about $600
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Bugera 333XL combo is only about 600 bucks? He should just buy that then. That would blow that Line6 spider halfstack out of the price range.

TS, you're not gonna get a good half stack with 600 bucks, just so you know. There's a reason those Marshall MG half stacks and Line6 Spider halfstacks have a lot of wattage and are "cheap". It's because they suck.

Don't be fooled by the Marshall name and don't be fooled by many available presets on the Line6, get a nice tube amp combo that puts out the sound that you want to get. If you get a tube amp to suit your tone, you can get quite versatile with the EQ and other add-ons later on, you don't need to have lots of presets and such.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

either one would be good. For heavier stuff you might wanna buy a $50 bad monkey pedal... You put the level/volume on the pedal on 10 and the gain on 0 and put it over your overdrive channel and it should tighten up your sound and add a bit of gain...
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Last edited by DaddyBarbs at Feb 3, 2009,
Quote by MustangSVT
Bugera 333XL combo is only about 600 bucks? He should just buy that then. That would blow that Line6 spider halfstack out of the price range.

TS, you're not gonna get a good half stack with 600 bucks, just so you know. There's a reason those Marshall MG half stacks and Line6 Spider halfstacks have a lot of wattage and are "cheap". It's because they suck.

Don't be fooled by the Marshall name and don't be fooled by many available presets on the Line6, get a nice tube amp combo that puts out the sound that you want to get. If you get a tube amp to suit your tone, you can get quite versatile with the EQ and other add-ons later on, you don't need to have lots of presets and such.

Quote by joecerillo

which of the 2?
is it just me, or should he look towards more british voiced amps?

Quote by joecerillo
is 30 tube watts enough for the studio? i nvr had a tube so idk

its enough for medium sized gigs. wait, how could something not be enough for the studio?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Feb 3, 2009,
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
is it just me, or should he look towards more british voiced amps?

its enough for medium sized gigs. wait, how could something not be enough for the studio?

what would u suggest. pink floyd /sabbath /and bowie are all british so ... lol
You're the guy with the 550 dollar GC credit right? Just go to GC, try out the Classic 30 and see what you think. I wouldn't buy an amp over ebay, look on your local new jersey craigslist if you want to find something used. I was under the impression that you want to use specifically that GC credit. If so, just go to GC, they should have a new Classic 30 for $600. It'll do a great job for tones like Sabbath and David Bowie.

The amp that I have, the Traynor YCV-50 Blue is also very good at british tones, but I don't believe that Guitar Center carries Traynor and they're not as easy to find as here (they're made in Canada).

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Quote by MustangSVT
You're the guy with the 550 dollar GC credit right? Just go to GC, try out the Classic 30 and see what you think. I wouldn't buy an amp over ebay, look on your local new jersey craigslist if you want to find something used. I was under the impression that you want to use specifically that GC credit. If so, just go to GC, they should have a new Classic 30 for $600. It'll do a great job for tones like Sabbath and David Bowie.

The amp that I have, the Traynor YCV-50 Blue is also very good at british tones, but I don't believe that Guitar Center carries Traynor and they're not as easy to find as here (they're made in Canada).

i bought a new martin with the giftcard today. ill be using my credit card for now on so the best fnnacialchoice is ebay at this point.

why no ebay?
Well you can't test the amp without ebay now can you? I personally wouldn't buy a guitar or amp over ebay, I'd much rather find something locally so I can play it beforehand than dealing through ebay. I bought a pickup and a pickguard on ebay, but you don't get to "try" those things at the guitar store anyway.

I just want to stress that you should try before you buy. If you're gonna buy it off ebay, at least go to GC and try out a new Classic 30 and see how you like it.

Also be warned that if you buy used you may have to change the tubes for new ones. I bought my Traynor used from a music store, but I had the store put in new tubes free of charge after I complained to them that they were old.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Page 1 of 2