I already have a Fender Standard Jazz Bass '06 (mexican), it is very nice but now I need another one just for practicing.

I've been looking for budget basses, such as Standard or Vintage Modified Precision Squiers, Ibanez SR series and Yamahas RBX.

I don't want to spend too much money (max 300 euro) but still don't want to buy a crappy one, just something simple that feels and sounds good. I know most of these are made in china, indonesia, etc. but that is not a problem at first.

So for this money, which one do you think would be the best option? Thanks.
Well.. if you get a Squier VM Jazz it will probably be better than your MIM Fender. LOL. No joke.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Quote by Link.JohnIrving
Well.. if you get a Squier VM Jazz it will probably be better than your MIM Fender. LOL. No joke.

no, about even.

get the precision, you'll have 2 very useful sounds.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Hmmm... indeed I had already tried the Squier VM Jazz and of course it is a great bass for the price. I like the body and neck finish and also the Duncan Designed pickups sound. I almost bought it but they did not have stock at the store, so in the end I got the Fender Std.

Still, it was around 400€ and the Fender, 600€.

But now I can't spend more than 300€ or better 250€, so that's why I am checking other basses. Perhaps I will go for the Yamaha RBX 270, I'd like to try a different thing than classic Fender style, just for the fun of it...

Anyway, it is only to practice with my TonePort UX2, not to perform live

Let's see what I find.
I don't see why you would want to waste 300 dollarydoos on a crappy bass. Get some new gear. Pedal(s), strap locks, or get some good cleaning products and give your bass a spa treatment. Your not going to get much in the way of tone or versatility, or anything even worth practicing on for 300 bucks dude. Sounds like you want to show off by having multiple basses (crappy ones at that). If your getting a new bass save up and get a nice one to replace your sombrero bass.

Just an opinion.
you can't practice on your Fender? I'm confused. Don't buy a cheaper bass just to "practice on," get some new gear for the Fender. What amp you using?
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Wait, why the hell do you need another bass just for practicing? Is that fender not yours or something?
Well the Fender Jazz is MINE of course guys, paid with my hard-earned money

Now the crappy one I need is just for practicing... from time to time I have to live away from home, so I just need something I can take with me, not being affraid of losing it. And for this purpose I use TonePort with my PC and no amps (don't need any at the moment but some time ago I owned a Laney bass amp which I sold).

Obviously I would use my Fender if it was to play live or to work.

But if I wanted to buy a GOOD new bass, I would go... let's say, for a headless Hohner-Steinberger from the 80's which I like a lot

Hmmm, btw, I am not a collector but still I don't see anything wrong if anyone likes instruments. It is much better than collecting cars, from my point of view.

Still, now I believe that I will go for the RBX 170 (even lower end!!). I need the rest of my money to buy food, pay the rent, etc...
Quote by dynamo0
Well the Fender Jazz is MINE of course guys, paid with my hard-earned money

Now the crappy one I need is just for practicing... from time to time I have to live away from home, so I just need something I can take with me, not being affraid of losing it. And for this purpose I use TonePort with my PC and no amps (don't need any at the moment but some time ago I owned a Laney bass amp which I sold).

Obviously I would use my Fender if it was to play live or to work.

But if I wanted to buy a GOOD new bass, I would go... let's say, for a headless Hohner-Steinberger from the 80's which I like a lot

Hmmm, btw, I am not a collector but still I don't see anything wrong if anyone likes instruments. It is much better than collecting cars, from my point of view.

Still, now I believe that I will go for the RBX 170 (even lower end!!). I need the rest of my money to buy food, pay the rent, etc...

A hohner isn't out of your price range, look: http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=40001

I have one (but without the active pick ups) and its an awesome bass.
Quote by badgerific
A hohner isn't out of your price range, look: http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=40001

I have one (but without the active pick ups) and its an awesome bass.

Yes, actually I think I will get it someday for sure... I am a big Police fan and remember Sting using one of those back in 1982 (Ghost in the Machine tour).

Well, finally I got my "crappy" bass.

Just visited some music stores and among low-end, china/indonesia made but a little expensive Warwick RockBass and 5-string Squiers (not many options...), I found a nice Ibanez Jumpstart pack.

I always thought that starter packs would be sh*t (and that may be true with Epis or Affinity Squiers) but this one made me change my mind.

It includes a beatiful transparent red Ibanez GSR 190J bass (1 jazz pickup at the bridge and 1 precision split-single coil at the middle). Well, to be honest it is exactly what I was looking for, just for practice but it is so nice to play. After inspection I see no flaws, body and neck are great. It is made in China, but at least it is Ibanez so quality is expected.

It also came with a gigbag, some accesories as a chromatic tuner, picks, strap, cheap cable and a little bag. And of course, a 10w Ibanez bass amp for practice.

Overall I paid some 300€ (no cheapest option unfortunately, there was something at some websites but I couldn't wait). Most likely, I will sell the amp 'cause I don't need it.
Last edited by dynamo0 at Feb 9, 2009,
Sting actually played a Steinberger bass, not the hohner copy.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by Thomme
Sting actually played a Steinberger bass, not the hohner copy.

Yeah I know... but I don't have Sting's money!!

So I may go for the Hohner, at least that one is a very good replica of a unique bass from a unique era.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
Ibanez GSR200. most bang for the buck, imo.

to bad you didn't check out the bass i recommended in an earlier post. much better bass but, oh well. glad you found one.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
to bad you didn't check out the bass i recommended in an earlier post. much better bass but, oh well. glad you found one.

Indeed I checked but it was not available, so I just got this one. Thanks anyway, perhaps I will put better strings on it but that's it.