I've only recently started playing guitar (8 days now) but a different thread got me thinking - is there somewhere that there is a list of songs to play at various stages of your "career" (for want of a better word) at 3 month, 6 month, 9 month stages etc.?

Whilst I greatly admire the work that the Beginner's Song Program is doing, it doesn't (as far as I can see) have a recommendation as to what to go with at different times.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
nah, it's not related to that thing.
you can practice in 3 months as other could practice in 9, or viceversa.
try learning songs you like, play them at 1/4 of speed or lower(not higher id say if they are difficult, this way, you can understand better both the song and the technique)
and, practice is the answer to all questions ...and theory...meh
Naturally practice will make a difference, but assuming someone (who is distinctly average) follows a reasonable practice schedule learning scales, chords etc. as well as songs and not just concentrating on a single song for months at a time, what sort of thing could be expected at each stage?
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
Just do it at your own speed. Some play for 3 days and can play songs some cant even play after months. I mean, most of us can play all Blink 182 after a week, but their own guitarist can't...
make your own list. youll never get better if you dont challenge yourself.. if you hear a song you like go learn it. dont rely on a guide to what songs to play. i try songs beyond my level, and it just makes me practice more and get better.

PSN: reldask
Lol - no, I drum on that.

From my other main hobby (archery) I need a target to motivate myself over a set period of time. Naturally everyone will learn at different speeds, but surely there is a rough guide to what the average person can expect after a set time?

I also just realised how bad (and unintentional) that pun was, oh dear...
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
Hey dude, I could make u a little "career" of some easy songs. I'll post it here later (sorry Im kinda lazy)
Quote by IronSam
Hey dude, I could make u a little "career" of some easy songs. I'll post it here later (sorry Im kinda lazy)

I'm the very same - I can now play Plug in Baby (pretty simple really) bar the chorus as I've not got round to learning those chords yet.

Would be much appreciated if you could - I'm into Muse, The Killers, that sort of thing really, although I have been listening to some Metallica recently.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
There isn't really a list of songs because people progress differently and there is too many genres of music that people might be into.

The way you can gauge how well you're playing after some months is to record yourself, and then listen to it a few months later and see if you've noticed improvement since then.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Okay so I finished my "Guitar career for beginners" list. I made this "career" similar to Guitar hero formula (Yes I admit, I have all GH:s) so theres gonna be "tiers" starting from easy songs and proceering to harder ones. I tryed to make the songlist REALISTIC for beginners/novice players. So no bull**** like "zomg 1st ya play sweet child o mine and then after master of puppets ya should play eruption omg ez ". Some songs are supposed to play WITHOUT solos but most songs fully/including solos. Theres gonna be a note what to do on each songs.

I tryed to pick a good variety of different kind of songs/genres so I hope you'd like the setlist. These songs are also the songs I can play/learned to play first so I used my own experience while arragin the tiers. So without further ado:

GUITAR CAREER FOR BEGINNERS:

Tier 1: Starting with a few chords

Deep Purple - Smoke on the water (Without solo. I HAD TO put this first)
Survivor - Eye of the tiger (Use powerchords. Chords in that riff are C5, B5, G5 and G#5)
Encore: AC/DC - T.N.T (Without solo. Tuning may be Eb on the record)

Tier 2: Learning riffs

Cream - Sunshine of your love (Without solo)
Judas Priest - Breaking the law
Encore: Black Sabbath - Iron man (Without solos)

Tier 3: Playing metal rhythm (all without solos)

Scorpions - Rock you like a hurricane (Basicly theres only like 2 riffs to learn)
Dokken - Breaking the chains (Great underrated song for beginners!)
Encore: Quiet Riot - Metal health (Focus on the changes between C5 and A5)

Tier 4: My first solos (Play fully)

Nirvana - Smells like teen spirit (Good easy solo to start with. Bridges are the hardest parts)
CCR - Up around the bend (Solo is short and not including so many notes)
Twisted Sister - Were not gonna take it (Use your whammy at the solo!)
Encore: Joan Jett & The Blackhearts - I love rock n' roll (Learn how to bend)

Tier 5: Dropping to D (Drop your E to D)

Sum 41 - Fat lip (You got 2 guitar parts to choose)
Rage against the machine - Killing in the name (Without solo)
Foo fighters - Monkey wrench (Main riff may be tough first)
Encore: Helmet - Unsung (Hardest thing is to get the bridge rhythm down)

Tier 6: Getting used to

Franz Ferdinant - Take me out
The Shadows - Apache (Great 60's instrumental to learn)
Bryan Adams - Summer of 69 (Actually there is a little solo at the end but lets just ignore it)
Encore Dio - Holy diver (Without solo. Here you learn slow metal triplets)

Tier 7: More solos! (Play fully)

Gary Moore - Empty rooms (Great lilttle solo! Theres not much guitar on verses tough)
Kiss - Detroit rock city (Easy but not so short solo)
Boston - More than a feelin (5 different guitar tracks to choose from!)
Encore: Led Zeppelin - Whole lotta love (2 step bend is insane first)

Tier 8: Mom I can play!

Skid Row - 18 and life (Without main solo. You could try the outro solo If you want)
Metallica - For whom the bell tolls (Playing lead parts should not be that hard)
Iron Maiden - The Evil that men do (Learn to gallop. Feel free for not-so-easy solo)
Encore Muse - Knights of cydonia (This is for you Hippo! Learn to alt strum fast here)
Quote by Hidden Hippo
I've only recently started playing guitar (8 days now) but a different thread got me thinking - is there somewhere that there is a list of songs to play at various stages of your "career" (for want of a better word) at 3 month, 6 month, 9 month stages etc.?

Whilst I greatly admire the work that the Beginner's Song Program is doing, it doesn't (as far as I can see) have a recommendation as to what to go with at different times.

No, there isn't, because it doesn't work that way.

There's no such thing as beginner or intermediate songs etc. There's just songs you know how to play and songs you don't know. Obviously the things you can realistically expect to play are limited by your own technical ability, but the important thing to never forget is that every song you don't know will teach you something if you learn it, no matter how "easy" you think it is.

You're never "too good" to learn something, although you can often find yourself to be not good enough.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thanks both Seagull and Iron Sam - very informative.

Seagull - I understand entirely where you're coming from. Something new can never hurt if you manage to do it properly, but given the vast choice of music available to a beginner guitarist it can be hard to find a place to start, particularly if self taught (although I've learned Plug In Baby except for the chorus because I've not taught myself Barre chords yet).

IronSam - looks like a good laugh to me. Will have to have a look at Smoke on the Water - didn't want to do a cliche song to start with, but there is probably logic behind it.

P.S - drinking Guitar Hero is awesome - 1 finger for every 5% off 100%, mandatory 1 finger if not 100%. It gets very hard very quickly.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai