Hey there.

I'm thinking of leaving my guitar lessons and becoming completely self taught.

I've been taking lessons now for around 8-9 months, but at this class thing I go to, one of the teachers left, and has been replaced by some other guy who I keep getting paired up with, as his teaching style just doesnt work with me.

This is really getting on my nerves, because now it just seems like a waste of money, and he keeps trying to rush me through the work, eventhough I don't actually understand it (seriously, tonights lesson I'm supposed to "finish" the work on 7th chords and more scales that we started about a week or 2 ago, I know 2 of the chords in my head -.-)

So do I just quit my lessons? Or do I try and get a different teacher (which will be a pain in the arse because I dont want to come across as rude to the guy whos teaching me now, and he'll probably overhear my bawwing to the main guy in charge)

tl;dr BAWWWWWWW
Have a talk with him and tell him to slow down and help with the work
also if you dont like the work he gives you ask him/ tell him you want to do what YOU want as that helps you learn better as your more motivated
if you cant afford the lessons then quit or if you really dont like the lessons get another teacher who's better :P
or you could just talk to him.......

edit : self teaching is good, if you have some friends jam with them(if they play guitar or any instrument)
and uh.....i forgot ...im off for a pizza
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Last edited by padgea7x at Feb 3, 2009,
you could try another teacher, but then again it depends if teachers suit u or not

after all loadsa good guitarists are self taught, (people dont argue against this one) heman li is self taught!
do what feels best for you, not blowing my own trumpet but i'm self taught so play my own way.
everyone is an individual, it's what makes us all the same, so do what feels best and easier for you.
Get another teacher that suits your learning and playing style better. Getting someone that matches your style is always good cause obviously your gonna be more interested cause the teacher can play all the stuff that you want to be able to play.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by thrash-it-up
heman li is self taught!

damn straight he is......but if you wanna play similar to him you must play every single video game first!!! he used to be a video game addict......what the hell am i on about??
anyways.......my pizza was nice
oh yeah herman li..if your gonna go self taught use videos they can help alot
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
I am pretty much self taught but it is useful to have someone to tell you honestly how you are getting on. I find that very helpfull but most of it is down to me practicing.
If someone was persuading me to teach myself and mentioned Herman Li i'd pretty much go and get lessons.
Its basically down to if you have the discipline to practice without someone structuring it for you, I know I couldnt do it I was self taught for a 2 years and I never learned hardly anything on my own, ive improved much more in my 2 months of lessons that in 2 years of self teaching. I guess I just learn better by having someone show me how to do a certain technique or riff.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
I think after 8-9 months, if you know how to pick correctly and have a decent guitar/body positioning, you're reading to roll.