I wanna know what you guys think of my practice schedule....

I just started playing guitar a couple of days ago.

5 mins of practice chords i know (strum each string separately and then full chord)
I know G, C, D, A, E. Add one chord every two days (next is F).

------

2 mins (each) of chord transitions of every combination of ones i know. for example right now, back and forth, i.e. G to C is G, C, G, C, G, C; ect until time runs out.

G to C, G to D, G to A, G to E, C to D, C to A, C to E, D to A, D to E, A to E.

Also I will add in F in two days every possible way it can, i.e. F to G, F to C, F to D, F to A, F to E.

-----

5 mins of chromatic scale forwards and backwards, alternative picking to a metronome which for every time I play it fully, forwards and backwards move up 5 bpm, every flub move it down 2 bpm. )

(What I am calling chromatic scale
---------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4
-----------------------------------------1-2-3-4----------
-------------------------------1-2-3-4--------------------
---------------------1-2-3-4------------------------------
-----------1-2-3-4----------------------------------------
-1-2-3-4--------------------------------------------------)

Every week add a new scale and play it for 5 minutes doing same method. (Next week I add minor pentatonic.)

------

Spend remaining time working on playing songs I like, Iron Man by Black Sabbath, Master's Apprentice by Opeth, ect)

-------

Any advice or throughts would be appreciated, thank you.
TL;DR = Go back and read please.
Last edited by zaduma at Feb 3, 2009,
When you say regiment it makes you sound as if you're in a marching band.
Gear;
- B.C. Rich Warbeast Bloodbound
- B.C. Rich NT Zombie 5-String Bass
- BOSS GT-10 Multi Effects TANK!
...In other words, I'm taking a giant dump on fender owners who use pods.
you started a few days ago and you're playing Opeth? nice.

also I think thats a nice schedule, I should make a schedule as well XD
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
spend twice as much time on each thing, you will excell quicker
the chromatic scale is actually:
--------------------------------------------------------------0-1-2-3-4-5
-------------------------------------------------0-1-2-3-4--------------
--------------------------------------0-1-2-3----------------------------
-------------------------0-1-2-3-4--------------------------------------
------------0-1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------------
0-1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------------------------

Also practise yoru scales in different 'boxes' e.g for chromatic go
E-0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12

but apart from that it sounds very good keep it up

later on you'll wanna start learning barre chords and seventh chords, also improvisation.

EDIT: make sure your using your pink finger right correctly and as much as possible!
Last edited by charlie__flynn at Feb 3, 2009,
Quote by charlie__flynn
spend twice as much time on each thing, you will excell quicker
the chromatic scale is actually:
--------------------------------------------------------------0-1-2-3-4-5
-------------------------------------------------0-1-2-3-4--------------
--------------------------------------0-1-2-3----------------------------
-------------------------0-1-2-3-4--------------------------------------
------------0-1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------------
0-1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------------------------

Also practise yoru scales in different 'boxes' e.g for chromatic go
E-0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12

but apart from that it sounds very good keep it up

later on you'll wanna start learning barre chords and seventh chords, also improvisation.

EDIT: make sure your using your pink finger right correctly and as much as possible!

Thanks for the actual chromatic scale. Doubling the time sounds do able, in a week or so. My muscles are having a hard time keeping up with this amount of time, also my fingers are extremely sore.

After I have G, C, D, A, E, F, I plan on adding B, then (in this order) Am, Em, Dm, F#m, Bm, then all the 7th chords in order, A7, B7, C7, D7, ect.

After I know all of these, I wanna keep adding things, not sure what yet, but by this time, at 4 minutes for every possible chord transition I know, I will be spending 13.5 hours on chord transitions alone, so perhaps I should drop the early ones once I am super comfortable with them?
As you learn scales, be sure to say the notes of the scale as you play them. I so wish someone had told me that a long long time ago.
Agile AL-3100 CSB, Schecter C1-Plus with SD 59s, Crate V33 Head (modded), Crate 2x12 Cabinet w/ Green Berets, EQD Hoof

Good Traders: jdr94 7PlaGues xXMetal-HeadXx applecakes1207
If your fingers are sore, you can get a lighter gauge or keep with what you're on now and get used to them. I did the second method with 11s when I started playing electric guitar and my fingers never get sore now.

Quote by zaduma
so perhaps I should drop the early ones once I am super comfortable with them?

What's the point in practicing them when you're completely comfortable with them? As long are you play them "now and then" so you don't forget them altogether... That's a large mistake I've made.
For sale
BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic in Koa
Dean VMNT in Silver
Marshall TSL JCM2000 Head

PM For info!

My band
Quote by darrenjables

What's the point in practicing them when you're completely comfortable with them? As long are you play them "now and then" so you don't forget them altogether... That's a large mistake I've made.

Good tip, thanks.

Also @ZombieCat awesome tip.
I'd say if you have more time dedicate more then 5-10 mins. Playing 3-5 hours a day (at least!) of pure practice and you'll improve mighty quickly.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
I think 3 hours is a little extreme. I strive for at least 45 minutes, bare minimum. Usually around 1 1/2.
Quote by N_J_B_B

My first lolstack!
Quote by Brian 1.0
I'd say if you have more time dedicate more then 5-10 mins. Playing 3-5 hours a day (at least!) of pure practice and you'll improve mighty quickly.

You're a fool. If you would have read the whole thread you would have realized that now the time is 4 minutes per every possible chord transition. In time (meaning maybe 3 weeks) I will be spending hours per day on the chord transitions alone. Plus unknown remaining time working on just practicing songs. No one wants to hear what you have to say, if you don't have the time to listen to what others do.

Faggot.
Quote by zaduma
You're a fool. If you would have read the whole thread you would have realized that now the time is 4 minutes per every possible chord transition. In time (meaning maybe 3 weeks) I will be spending hours per day on the chord transitions alone. Plus unknown remaining time working on just practicing songs. No one wants to hear what you have to say, if you don't have the time to listen to what others do.

Faggot.

Probably not a great way to illicit more favorable replies, sir
Andy Fox
Hard rock guitarist
I play a Jackson DK-2 and an Ibanez RG through a Peavey 6505+ stack
Quote by AndyR83
Probably not a great way to illicit more favorable replies, sir

*nods* I am aware, I just can not stand incompetence with a large side of laziness.

I appreciate fully everyone who actually read through the thread and gave me replies. Especially to charlie__flynn, darrenjables, and ZombieCat.
id say it is better to learn your scales like the back of your hand, up and down the neck, try making some two string battle regiments, and ones where you hop back a note every 3 or so, really id suggest the Guitar Grimoire series, thats what ive beeen using and they are great books
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
id say it is better to learn your scales like the back of your hand, up and down the neck, try making some two string battle regiments, and ones where you hop back a note every 3 or so, really id suggest the Guitar Grimoire series, thats what ive beeen using and they are great books

so spend more than 10 minutes a day on scales? how much, 30 mins? an hour?

i have about 8-10 hours of free time in an average day.

tomorrow i add F & B chords, so transitions would be a little over an hour. (read above if you don't know what i mean).

which means an hour and a half on chords alone... so a half hour would be 2 hours of practice?
an hour would only be 2 and a half hours....
Quote by zaduma
so spend more than 10 minutes a day on scales? how much, 30 mins? an hour?

i have about 8-10 hours of free time in an average day.

tomorrow i add F & B chords, so transitions would be a little over an hour. (read above if you don't know what i mean).

which means an hour and a half on chords alone... so a half hour would be 2 hours of practice?
an hour would only be 2 and a half hours....

all i am saying, really, is spend $30 on The Excercise Book
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I'd say...

Use the chromatics for no-tempo (Read: VERY slow, unmetered) practice to get your fingers working independently and gain strength in them.

Then use metronome practice with major/minor and pentatonic scales. Afterall, that's what you're going to be playing 90%+ of the time.
404: Sig not found.