I have an ESP EC-1000 and the model i have comes stock with SD JB in the bridge and jazz in the neck. I find the JB a little muddy for the Metallica/Killswitch type stuff I play and was considering getting an 81 to replace it but I have had a guitar with an 81/60 combo before and I did not like the 60 at all. The SD Jazz has some seriously lush tones, I mean really dreamy tones but will pairing it with a 81 be a bad idea??? All answers welcome. Cheers, M.,
you rly cant mic passives and actives together , go with a good passive pick up for the bridge instead of the 81
one active + one passive can work... however its a lot of work, seperate controls, lots of wiring, your better off purchasing a high output passive.

it'll save u all the hassle and i think most people would agree will eventually sound better...
You can mix the two together I have an emg and a passive in my tele
i have an emg 81/sd jazz combo in my guitar

i liked it for a while, but now i'm getting sick of the emg and am going to go back to all duncans.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
well i think its too much trouble to mix actives and passives not saying its not possible , but what kinda of sound do you want, tight bass ? etc..
I think you just need to set your amp right.

I get an awesome metallica / killswitch tone out of a JB/Jazz combo.

But if your intent on switching out pickups, its too much hassle to mix active and passive, just do all one or all the other.
Guitars:
Gibson Explorer - White
PRS SE Singlecut
Fender Acoustic

Amps:
Crate head w/ POD preamp
Crate 120 watt POS
Crate Cab
Quote by Jiro from GLAY
ESP dont make ESP EC 1000s

ESP LTD. EC-1000 Deluxe in VHB. I think i might try a Dimarzio X2N. I have heard a lot of good noise about them. Dont want to **** with my guitar if it means all that separate wring ****. and i am not getting an EMG neck pup. Any suggestions for a good high output passive???
EMG Hz-4
Gear:
Agile 2000 2ts
ESP LTD Eclipse 1000, ASB
Amps:
Crate GTD65
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Quote by Vastros
EMG Hz-4

Yeah, those Hi-Z might be a good idea. They're passive..:P
Quote by LordPino
Yeah, those Hi-Z might be a good idea. They're passive..:P

they're pretty darn muddy
It's all about feel
It is possible, am having a hard time trying to find a thread from the ESP forum. Some guy on there uses EMGs and SDs.

Quote by Martallika666
I have an ESP EC-1000 and the model i have comes stock with SD JB in the bridge and jazz in the neck. I find the JB a little muddy for the Metallica/Killswitch type stuff I play and was considering getting an 81 to replace it but I have had a guitar with an 81/60 combo before and I did not like the 60 at all. The SD Jazz has some seriously lush tones, I mean really dreamy tones but will pairing it with a 81 be a bad idea??? All answers welcome. Cheers, M.,
dude man. both michael amott of arch enemy and the guys from dark tranquillity rock the jb/jazz combo. if its good enough for them it can definitely handle metallica and killswitch. you might want to invest in a better distortion pedal or amp
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
dont try the x2n its pretty muddy and the highs sound like a laser imo anyways , i suggest for high output try a dimarzio D sonic
i just remembered i used to have an sg which i put an EMG 81 in the bridge and used the stock passive pup. I had absolutely no problems with that. It sounded good. I want an 81 because its so tight for metal. I have a JB now and I eally am not a fan. I have a Valvetronix AD30VT. It does good clean but when i activate the metal muff it sounds pretty crappy.
i dont think its your pick ups that are the problem is your amp a modeling amp ? modeling amp + pedals dont rly mix well enough , but it you rly want tight distortion without the crazy hassel trying to wire your guitar to mix passives and actives the d sonic will get your pretty tight low ends and its pretty awesome in terms of metal
I have an EMG 81 on the bridge and stock duncan design on the neck for my rr3.
the thing is that the EMG overpowers the duncan when I have it in the middle pos, good thing I have individual volume tho.