My bass guitar's tone died some time between January 20th and February 2nd. I'm not positive when it was, because I have been on vacation for a couple weeks, but I came home yesterday and found it dead. I never thought this could happen to me, and I know I took it for granted. But wow does it sure suck all of a sudden. Well, maybe not all of a sudden. Maybe the gradual slipping of it's power struck me most after a good bit of time not playing it.

But alas, it is gone. My bass sounds like the most boring sound you could possibly get from such an isntrument. It feels like I'm strumming electrical wiring across a plank of wood. So my first impulse is to replace the strings, which I got around April last year. I'm hoping this will fix the bulk of the problem, because if it doesn't I'm probably going to sell it and save up for something better. I don't really want to do this, because 1. It's expensive, and 2. I'd be bassless for at least a month.

Background info:
MIM Jazz Bass
Replaced crappy PUPS with Fender Custom Shop SCN Cobalt Whatevers.\
Used Rotosound Roundwound Strings for about 9-10 months now.
Action could be shoddy; guitar shop wants too much money to make adjustments.
Clamdigger of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
Some say a comet will fall from the sky...
Are you sure that's to do with the bass? if it's a passive instrument like an MiM the tone should come from the wood, which obviously can't just go away, and the pickups which is more likely but still not that likely the cause. Replace your strings, then check your amp, it's about 80% of your sound after all.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Could it be due to not playing it for a fortnight, and you need to practice a bit to get your hands up to speed? this happens to me whenever I play the guitar for a few days - when I go back to bass I'm not as good. I know you'll say "it's a problem with the tone, not my hands" but about 80% of your tone comes from your hands.

EDIT: haha, it's pure conincidence the post above uses "80%"; when I started typing this was the 2nd post.
Last edited by jimRH7 at Feb 3, 2009,
Every time my tone goes to crap it's usually because the battery is about to die
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
My bass is passive.

So far my tone is at 80% hands, 80% amp, and roughly 40% wood. Thats 200% tone! I should be rocking faces off at that rate. I think maybe my time with my bass has come to an end. The passive tones just aren't working for me anymore. I will replace the strings, but if that doesn't work, I'm looking for an active bass.

My amp is a 150 Ashdown Blue. I've plugged other basses into it and they sound a good deal better.
Clamdigger of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
Some say a comet will fall from the sky...
Quote by Ingsoc
My bass is passive.

So far my tone is at 80% hands, 80% amp, and roughly 40% wood. Thats 200% tone! I should be rocking faces off at that rate. I think maybe my time with my bass has come to an end. The passive tones just aren't working for me anymore. I will replace the strings, but if that doesn't work, I'm looking for an active bass.

My amp is a 150 Ashdown Blue. I've plugged other basses into it and they sound a good deal better.

Are you sure just aren't imagining these things? Basses' bodies don't just die. Strings do, but not wood. I second replacing the strings.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
if you add a John East preamp, that will be loads better than an active of equal price to the the jazz.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Have you tried replacing the strings?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Make sure your bass is set-up properly. Innotation, action, neck bow, dead spots, etc...

Will make a world of difference if your off.
Quote by ChemicalFire
Have you tried replacing the strings?

this
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
id check all ure electronics then go from there
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
Quote by Ingsoc
My bass is passive.

let's not forget the other 20% from your pickups!

On a more serious note, you need to try other passive basses, or if possible other jazz basses and see if you notice a difference in tone. After all a fender jazz is a pretty versatile piece of kit, you surely can't have just got bored of the tone.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Cool username.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
probably Strings, nothing kills bass tone like bad strings.

This just reminded me: Why are Bass strings like $20 a pack while guitar strings are only $5?
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by grifff
More material......

But still, nickel, stainless steel, or whatever your strings are made of aren't THAT expensive. It probably comes from the fact that they're longer, all wound, and bassists are more particular about strings than guitarists. But i still don't like the extra cost...
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by grifff
More material......

True, but is it really $15 more material? Oh well whatever.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Replace the strings and if that doesn't work have your electronics checked. A bass's tone doesn't just die.
Well, do you use fingers or a pick? not to jump down that rabbit hole of rape and tongue lashings, but if your tone is dead, try jumping over to the pick for a test run. I am not saying stick with it, but your finger's calluses may be soft and have lost punch.

Btw, I use fingers. ALL the girls love it.
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
Quote by DeltaFunk
probably Strings, nothing kills bass tone like bad strings.

This just reminded me: Why are Bass strings like $20 a pack while guitar strings are only $5?

Over here a good set of guitar strings is ~ £5 i think (~$10)

nickel is actually quite expensive; and bass strings are made of considerably more materail than guitar strings - think about it; the equation for volume of a cylinder is (pi)r^2h so if a bass string is twice the thickness of a guitar string, it means you need 4(pi) times more metal; and that's not taking into account the extra length.
Did you forget to feed it?
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe