Page 1 of 3
Hey, i was wondering since i should be making some money in the not-too-distant future... and who knows what ill do with it...

So i was wondering what kinda versitile heads would be good for up to £1000 new or used?
Obviously something better than my current amp (if u think its not worth it thts fine)

I just dont know whats really that good out there in that difficult price range...

(id like it to do clean, blusey sounds and classic metal tones well)

Cheers
Matamp GTL.

It's around 1100 pounds sterling, though.
Quote by imgooley
Matamp GTL.

It's around 1100 pounds sterling, though.

Is that 2 channel though? (sorry didnt mention i need at least 2)
I like the look of both those... dus the cornford do metal well? (sorry youtube is down atm)
yeah, cornfords are sweet. i haven't tried the mk50h (from what i hear it does metal better), but the others i've tried can do metal, but wouldn't be my first choice, kind of thing.

brunetti xlr-evo is really nice too, very versatile indeed.

as you say, £1000 is an awkward price-range, save a little more and you're into the big boys... and as you say, you'd need to be sure it's a lot better than what you already have (which it might not be- only you can really decide that).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by vitchb
Is that 2 channel though? (sorry didnt mention i need at least 2)

No, but the 1224 MKII is.
Egnater Tourmaster or Rebel.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Dusnt look like i can get Egnater over here in the UK.

Im liking the sound of the Cornford tho... anyone heard it them selves?

Also that 2 channel Matamp looks pretty beastly.. anyone heard tht too?
Last edited by vitchb at Feb 3, 2009,
If it's anything like the other Matamps I've tried, it's kind of love/hate.
They sound really dirty and groovy, so if you like a very clear tone, I don't think you'd be into them.

Although you should obviously be trying out everything we recommend here. You can't really trust a couple of UG'ers with a £1000.
Quote by Jhachey22
Egnater Tourmaster or Rebel.

Blech, tourmaster I tried buzzed incessantly, don't know if it's an issue with all of them.

I don't know what the big deal with the rebel is, it's overpriced and has two totally worthless features (tube mix, wattage control) that cause it to be way more expensive than necessary. Drop the worthless features, ditch the EL84s and charge about
400 bucks for it and you've got something. Oh, making it sound better wouldn't hurt either.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
The only shop near me that do decent stuff is world guitars, who do a range of ENGL, boogie and matchless stuff. The cornford im not sure if i could try out really. Any of those brands mentioned worth a look?

EDIT - the shop have a Used cornford MK50 half stack for £1200
Last edited by vitchb at Feb 4, 2009,
^ i've never been to world guitars, but their adverts and website suggest that they have a ton of cool stuff- cornell too. cornell isn't really aimed at what you want, but you should definitely try one as they're really nice.

you're probably not a million miles from jam guitars, near bristol, either. again, never been, but according to their website, have a ton of cool stuff.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Im currently in contact with the guy at world guitars to see if i can just trade my mesa and marshall for the cornford halfstack. Obviously ill go try out the amp first but do you think that it might be a good deal?
Peavey classic. Are you going to be using this with a band? If you are going to be using it as a bedroom amp you might not really need as much as you think. I'm in love with my tube vypyr 60 watt.

For my band I use high wattage heads. The vypyr tube amp has amazing cleans and some damn good classic rock tones. They also are coming out with very soon a 120 watt head version of it. Usually I don't recommend modeling amps for main amps but the tube versions of these amps sound like the real thing they are modeling. I'd actually use one of these things live and feel good about it.
Quote by hcsn2008
Peavey classic. Are you going to be using this with a band? If you are going to be using it as a bedroom amp you might not really need as much as you think. I'm in love with my tube vypyr 60 watt.

For my band I use high wattage heads. The vypyr tube amp has amazing cleans and some damn good classic rock tones. They also are coming out with very soon a 120 watt head version of it. Usually I don't recommend modeling amps for main amps but the tube versions of these amps sound like the real thing they are modeling. I'd actually use one of these things live and feel good about it.

Are you on crack? Neither of those is in the same galaxy as a Cornford. Go listen to a Harlequin, please....
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Are you on crack? Neither of those is in the same galaxy as a Cornford. Go listen to a Harlequin, please....

I was recommending something different. And do not know his situation. If he is using this for a bedroom amp and wants more tones I'd go with what I said.

If he is playing in a band I'd go with the cornford or peavey classic. I like the peavey classic more than the cornford. But that's me. Everyone likes something different. The peavey classic is my one of my favorite classic/blues amps.
Cornford Hellcat? i think it's more suited to metal than the MK50H but don't quote me on it

I find it funny how the Hellcat costs us £1400 and them £2430 ($3500)

I guess they have mesa though
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by sharpant
Cornford Hellcat? i think it's more suited to metal than the MK50H but don't quote me on it

I find it funny how the Hellcat costs us £1400 and them £2430 ($3500)

I guess they have mesa though

Yeah, basically though even though I'm being flammed... he could get a good fender amp or peavey classic and save a lot of cash. Even have enough money left to get him some pedals or something. These amps do it just as well as the more expensive ones.
Quote by hcsn2008
Yeah, basically though even though I'm being flammed... he could get a good fender amp or peavey classic and save a lot of cash. Even have enough money left to get him some pedals or something. These amps do it just as well as the more expensive ones.

I very much doubt that.
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by sharpant
I very much doubt that.

How come? The peavey classic and fender twin's DO DO IT just as good as the more expensive ones. If they don't then why are so many famous musicians who can use any amp they want using these amps?

Have you ever heard the clean of a fender twin? I've never heard any amp that I liked the cleans more so than that. And I've heard amps that cost much more than that.

Although the twin isn't cheap there are cheaper versions that still sound well.

And the peavey classic is a fine amp. And I'd pick it over cornford amps.
Quote by hcsn2008
How come? The peavey classic and fender twin's DO DO IT just as good as the more expensive ones. If they don't then why are so many famous musicians who can use any amp they want using these amps?

Have you ever heard the clean of a fender twin? I've never heard any amp that I liked the cleans more so than that. And I've heard amps that cost much more than that.

It's official...you're on crack. The peavey classic IS a fine amp, but it is certainly no Cornford. Please don't spout off that musicians using them crap...I can guarantee that for every musician using a Classic 50, there's one using a Cornford, or a Framus, or the like.

Don't judge me.
Quote by hcsn2008

You do that. Then the people with their hand crafted Cornfords can laugh at you even more than they probably already are.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by hcsn2008

Comparing any Peavey to a Cornford is like comparing a Volkswagen to a Lamborghini. It's ridiculous. Cornfords are some the best amps available in the entire world. Better than the large majority of "boutique" amps IMO.
I do agree that the Fender Twin has some of the best cleans ever, but it has limited other capabilities. I don't know how much an EVH 5150 III costs in Europe, but according to the exchange rate, it'd be the equivalent of about 750 quid over here (USA), so it may be an affordable option over there? That way you get the cleans of a Twin, classic crunch, & insane OD channel in one package. I DO love Cornfords, though. The ones I've heard are just simply amazing. If I didn't already have good amps, a Cornford RK100 would be my #1 choice on my GAS list.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
well he has a good point. if cornford to peavey was really volkswagon to lambo, then why in the f*ck would any pro musicians use peavey? everyone would have cornford. im sure they are better, but not by a whole lot.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
well he has a good point. if cornford to peavey was really volkswagon to lambo, then why in the f*ck would any pro musicians use peavey? everyone would have cornford. im sure they are better, but not by a whole lot.

You're kidding right? We're talking about the Classic 30 here, the most 'Meh' amp ever made?

For the record, I would take one Cornford head over Peavey's entire range.
i didnt mean the c30... i meant peavey. if so many pro musicians use peavey, then how could they be that much worse?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
i didnt mean the c30... i meant peavey. if so many pro musicians use peavey, then how could they be that much worse?

The masses are usually retarded. Usually the manufacturer will just pay them a load of money to endorse their gear.

I think it says it lot when Joe Satriani, the guy with a Peavey signature amp line, actually uses a Cornford when recording.
true. but i am sure the jsx is not that much worse than the cornford. like i said, im sure they are better, but by that large of a margin?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver

Please don't count the hardcore tools running 6505s, and the heavy metal bands who have a 6505 plus about 10 other amps.

Edit: Of course it's not that large of a margin (diminishing returns FTL), but if you have the money, why skimp out?
that is true. but i still think that cornford arent that much better. satch uses a cornford to record, but he also uses a 5150, a Mesa mark II

and as for metal bands with a 6505 and a bunch of other amps.... a lot of them run primarily 6505. but i hate 6505. just saying
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
So what exactly is it that you're saying? So far, it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense....

Don't judge me.
in two sentences: i dont think cornfords quality is so much greater that it merits the price. they are not that much greater than cheaper alternatives.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
You really have to play one, the touch sensitivity, the dynamics, the tone. For what they cost in the US they're a bit too much, but in the UK over there, yeah, great option.
how much are they in the uk?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Not sure, the only one I tried was the 6 watt harlequin and the store I tried it in had it listed at 1500 dollar (probably talk down few hundred). I just saw a few HC reviews that have it around 600 pounds, or about 900 dollars.
for 6 watts?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION

Wattage has nothing to do with anything.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Page 1 of 3