For solid state practice amp only...I am looking for the best versatile distortion pedal that can get me the closest to late 80's rock/metal (Ozzy, Metallica...) and still be able to do a decent job at the more modern stuff (think Zakk Wylde.. modern metal sound with older roots, but not Nu Metal)...

Basically, the distortion pedal that's closest to that killer Marshall tone/growl (OD to distortion) with some versatility for a little experimentation...

thanks!
I would start thinking effects processor. You can get a whole host of different distortion, chorus, flanger, phaser, etc. sounds out of a single floor pedal nowadays. The Digitech RP series are great. For distortion alone you can choose different amps and cabinets, so you can get a Mesa Rectifier distortion sound, or a Marshall stack, or a Fender, etc. Buying a single pedal just for distortion is kind of limiting IMO. Even the entry level RP from Digitech only runs about $99 and you can find them for sales on Craigslist, on UG, Ebay, etc. even cheaper. I have 2 of the RP200 that I've been gigging with for over 8 years. I recently purchased an RP350 for recording because it has a USB out option that let's me plug directly into my computer.
whiskey tango is right. i would recommend a zoom g2.1u! i have played a lot of pedals and processors and this one is my fav especially for the money. it has direct recording through usb out, an expression pedal, and the tones are killer. for a guy like you on a SS the processor is a good idea as well because the zoom has awesome amp modelling. it has great amps built in, like the peavey 5150, a couple mesa's, vintage marshalls all kinds of great stuff and great distortions and you can edit the hell out of everything. im a huge fan. with my processor on my valveking i can get it sounding like a raging beast!
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
amp?
location?
budget?
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
money isn't really a problem...but i'd like to keep it under$150...could be persuaded to pay more if its worth it...

amp... Marshall MG15MSII (micro stack)

thanks!
Check out a Carl Martin Plexitone if you want a Marshally pedal.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by blackmambana
metal muff?

Probably best.

EHX Metal Muff FTW.

Well, seeing as it's an MG you really should just get a new amp, but whatever, you didn't ask that question.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
I would go for the metal muff but yeah, you can't expect good sound on your amp out of it tbh... just sell your mg to a noob on craigslist who'll be like "Rawful. I bat teh mershallz stck!!!" for bout $250, then buy a b-52 at-112 for $360. No distortion pedal needed.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
You're using a MG mini stack you will NOT get a passable Marshall sound out of that, sell it and buy a blackheart little giant or the like
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
You're using a MG mini stack you will NOT get a passable Marshall sound out of that, sell it and buy a blackheart little giant or the like

That too.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
You shouldn't need one for an MG, its got the br00tlZ. A metal muff will ONLY do shred metal/thrash on a solid state. You should get an OD or a Big Muff.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
Buy a Peavey Vypyr 30, soo much better than using pedals/ effects processor through an MG..
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Get a solid state amp with a good lead channel on it. Peavey vypyr is a good suggestion. Either that or a peavey envoy.
The Metal Muff is ok. I also have a Cube 30 and an RP250 ..... and a Korg P4D.
For low volume stuff, I like my Cube. For into my computer (or head phones) the RP250. For in front of my tube amp for when I want to play thrash, the Metal Muff.
i'd seriously just go for a better amp...
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
If you want a Marshall growl (aka. Marshall crunch) of the 80s, you need one of the following:

Peavey Classic 30/50
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Marshall JCM-800
clone of JCM800 (Ceriatone etc.)

There's probably other amps I'm missing here, but you get the point.

No amount of pedals will get you a proper Marshall crunch through that Marshall MG mini-stack or whatever it's called. You need a tube amp with EL34's to get that tone. Or I guess if you have KT88's or whatever they're called to get that JCM800 hot-rodded tone.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Last edited by MustangSVT at Feb 3, 2009,