ok guys here is my question:

i am the proud owner of a peavey valveking 112 (the 50 watter). i use a zoom g2 pedal for effects (which i love). its time to upgrade the valveking speaker and i need some suggestions. Im looking for something that handles metal really well. i have a pretty damn good metal setup even through the stock speaker as it is but i figure a new speaker will make it that much better. i play a 7 string agile (mahogany neck thru, high output passives). the ideal tone i would like would be somewhere in the clayman-soundtrack to your escape era of in flames (im a huge fan of the tone on these albums). now i know they play peavey 5150 heads and im not totally sure what they use for cabinets. im very close to their tone on my home setup anyway but if i can get closer to that tone thats what im going for. i know the valveking is rather mid heavy so i think i should be going for something that accents the lows and highs a bit better. recommend away! (ps im only looking for eminence... seeing as i dont want to spend any more than around 80$...im on a students' budget)
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
have you tried emailing eminence? i've never actually got round to buying based on their recommendations ( ), but they're certainly very quick to answer and don't mind giving in-depth help.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
legends?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
the eminence site has a huge list of sound clips for you to listen to. very easy to hear the differences and they all have descriptions for what genres they excel in.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
hey that sounds cool! il check the site and maybe send them an email. the prices are awesome! and im hearing good things about them.
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
Governors. They're similar to a Vintage 30. Govenors/Vintage 30s offer serious presence in a mix, which is helpful when you're running alot of gain.
Check out their sound clips....

http://eminence.com/soundclips.asp

note: there is a scroll bar inside the window (seprate from the browser scroll bar) that makes the rest of the clips available.

I went with the Man-O-War for my Windsor Studio - it's very metal.
I second the Man O War recommendation.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
I second the Man O War recommendation.

i 3rd it

i run one with my TT.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
I have a set of Man-O-Wars. Personally, I think they suck balls. All top and bottom with no midrange. It's a constant fight to get enough mids out of them. I'll be replacing them.
Quote by some_dude_2
I have a set of Man-O-Wars. Personally, I think they suck balls. All top and bottom with no midrange. It's a constant fight to get enough mids out of them. I'll be replacing them.
Not all players will have the same experience with speakers. Varying factors come into play like guitar type used, amp used, open/closed back, cab construction, pickups used, amp eq settings, style of music, etc.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
the VK could use more mids if you ask me so id go with the governor or a private jack.

Maybe a screaming eagle or a RW and blue.

Personally id just buy a weber.
Im not too crazy about the Black Powders, very bright and can be pretty harsh even after breaking them in.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Quote by Van Noord
Not all players will have the same experience with speakers. Varying factors come into play like guitar type used, amp used, open/closed back, cab construction, pickups used, amp eq settings, style of music, etc.

Man-O-Wars are similar to Celestion G12T-75s. G12Ts aren't a very popular speaker... they tend to be both muddy and shrill sounding with a scooped midrange. They're good for clean into overdrive, but they don't take to high gain distortion very well (compared to other speakers) as they get a bit nasty/ratty on the top end and the bottom end tends to do a fat chunked out bass on palm mutes instead of a more modern sounding punchy bass.

Vintage 30s and Eminence Governors have a much tighter bottom end and a rolled off top end that smooths harsh high gain out.... probably the reason they come in almost every cab that's meant to be paired with a high gain amp.

Your mileage may vary of course.
Last edited by some_dude_2 at Feb 3, 2009,
Quote by some_dude_2
Man-O-Wars are similar to Celestion G12T-75s. G12Ts aren't a very popular speaker... they tend to be both muddy and shrill sounding with a scooped midrange. They're good for clean into overdrive, but they don't take to high gain distortion very well (compared to other speakers) as they get a bit nasty/ratty on the top end and the bottom end tends to do a fat chunked out bass on palm mutes instead of a more modern sounding punchy bass.

This is right on. You can get it to go with some persuasion.
legend gb128 best. look it has 10.0 average rating uin harmony central and is cheap
Quote by some_dude_2

Vintage 30s and Eminence Governors have a much tighter bottom end and a rolled off top end that smooths harsh high gain out.... probably the reason they come in almost every cab that's meant to be paired with a high gain amp.

Your mileage may vary of course.
Actually, 75's are a very popular speaker. There are just as many players who like and use them as there are that don't.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
Actually, 75's are a very popular speaker. There are just as many players who like and use them as there are that don't.

They're "popular" because they come stock in Marshall's bottom end cab. If that cab came stock with G12H-30s I don't think too many people would be using G12T-75s... but then Marshall would have a lot more warranty issues as retards blow their speakers up.

Either way, the original poster can decide for himself... but if he's looking to do high gain I don't think he's best served using G12T/Man-O-Wars.
Last edited by some_dude_2 at Feb 4, 2009,
If price is the only reason you're looking at Eminence, take a look at these:
http://warehousespeakers.com/products.php?cat=9&PHPSESSID=9fed6fc8a3c8f34771a1b73b2aceae82

Actually, these in particular:
http://warehousespeakers.com/products.php?cat=9&PHPSESSID=9fed6fc8a3c8f34771a1b73b2aceae82

I have a Vet 30 in my Vk and it does that amp wonders
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by some_dude_2
They're "popular" because they come stock in Marshall's bottom end cab. If that cab came stock with G12H-30s I don't think too many people would be using G12T-75s... but then Marshall would have a lot more warranty issues as retards blow their speakers up.

Either way, the original poster can decide for himself... but if he's looking to do high gain I don't think he's best served using G12T/Man-O-Wars.
Well, the 1960 isn't Marshalls bottom end cab, and it's the top selling 4x12 in the world. Bogner uses 75's with V30's in some of their cabs too. They work well with amps that have a significant midrange influenced crunch. There's a time, place and application for every speaker, so saying 75's are not good speakers for high gain is just incorrect. I prefer V30's, but know enough to not count out 75's completely.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Last edited by Van Noord at Feb 4, 2009,
Quote by Van Noord
Well, the 1960 isn't Marshalls bottom end cab, and it's the top selling 4x12 in the world. Bogner uses 75's with V30's in some of their cabs too. They work well with amps that have a significant midrange influenced crunch. There's a time, place and application for every speaker, so saying 75's are not good speakers for high gain is just incorrect. I prefer V30's, but know enough to not count out 75's completely.

The Boss DS-1 is the most popular distortion pedal in the world. Doesn't mean it's all that great. Just means that it's both cheap and readily available... kinda like a G12T loaded 1960.

Either way, I've already said my piece so I'm done debating on the subject.
Quote by ShredGod George
the black powder maybe?

to much mids, not enuff bass
Quote by Van Noord

Exacty what I was thinking. Well put buddy.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan