Poll: Well?
Poll Options
View poll results: Well?
Yes
29 67%
No
14 33%
Voters: 43.
If any of you pit monkeys are familiar with Plato's Meno, then maybe you can answer this age old question.

So I ask you, can Virtue be taught?

Poll included for ****s and giggles.
Quote by deathbat831
.........oh wow.
Eddy 372, im nominating you badass of UG
Quote by disturbed_n_wv
I believe thats the best looking Explorer I've ever seen, I did think they were all ugly until i seen that one Eddy372 good choice.

Virtue has to be learned. Aristotle, and such. Etc.

Yes. By the method of practise, and the results (both good and bad) upon your place in the polis, or society, determines how you learn how to be virtuous and achieve the balance of virtue.
nope.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Hey, I didn't know Aristotle was a UGer!
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Plato isn't even a planet anymore.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
yes. the environment can make it quite difficult though. it's not as simple as giving someone the principles of virtue and telling them to implement them in their daily lives, it is much more than that. to teach someone virtue you have to guide their behaviors and the influences that they encounter in their lives.

to be honest i don't agree with plato on a lot of his ideas, i think he was far from right in a lot of ways.

in the meno doesn't he propose that people, while in a state between life and death are exposed to virtue and have to recall it? or am i mixing in some of phadeo in there?
Quote by brandonian
you nose started bleeding, so the first thing you do is post it on UG? i don't understand the reasoning behind that one my friend

Quote by unplugtheradio
screw grammar i practice economic typing.
Virtue is something we gain from our social upbringing. We are not simply born with or without it.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Quote by Eddy372
If any of you pit monkeys are familiar with Plato's Meno, then maybe you can answer this age old question.

So I ask you, can Virtue be taught?

Poll included for ****s and giggles.

No.

Plato and Socrates ideas on virtues are so ridiculously vague, it can barely stand up on itself, not to mention they make some bad assumptions and lead onto points which don't stand up well enough. Not to mention the metaphysics involved. Anything with metaphysics tends to fall over because it can't be asserted very well

However, although Socrates thought that once you gone off the Golden Mean you are no longer a perfectly virtuous person, and we take that virtue can be known and does exist, yeah, it could be taught.

You do have to acknowledge that knowledge gets you closer to the forms, so you would have to be taught it to some extent. If not, teach yourself. Either way, there is some education involved.
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Hey, I didn't know Aristotle was a UGer!

Aristotle is such a cool name. Didn't he play in the NBA?
Sail upon the open skies