Page 1 of 2
Ok, so I turned 18 a few months ago and I'm deciding I might as well buy a stock or two depending on its price, with the economy going up and all

does anybody do this, or recommend any companies worth investing in?
UG's condensed package of adrenaline

i am not liable for anything stated above
▼ but he is ▼
No. Economy bad. Stocks bad.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Go see U2, then you can say you contributed money to Bono's giant Irish tower built out of the blood, tears, and the hopes of African children.
Yes.... invest in stocks..
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
GM motors.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
GM motors.

Fail!!
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
Quote by Kensai
GM motors.

thanks kensai!!
*goes and buys hundreds of GM stock*

▼ but he is ▼
Damn i thought the thread said socks and i was going to tell you to buy a company that sold socks with the names of the days on them.
Then you could edit them to have saturday and sunday socks cause they dont supply those.
Fender Special Edition Custom Telecaster FMT HH in Crimson Red
Reverend Sensei HB FM in Tobacco Burst
Fender Vintage C Neck, HH, Surf Green Nitrocellulose (Handmade)

Egnater Rebel-30 MKI Head
Egnater Tourmaster Series 412B 280W 4x12 Cabinet
Google is a good stock. With the satellite they just funded and the new features of Google Earth, they seem to be doing very well. However, the economy is terrible and I'm not buying any stock at all
I dont see why you're all advising against this. We all have socks!! if you dont, especially in the current climate, you're a fool. Some say america ****ed up the sock market, i dont see how, you're all wearing them on TV.
Sig space available, give me some praise
Who on Earth told you the economy was doing well?
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
I would not recommend investing in the stock market at all.

Unless you have $3000 laying around that you can afford, repeat AFFORD, to lose, investing in stocks is really not worth the amount of money you can possibly gain.

That being said, if you want a recommendation I would say that McDonald's and energy stocks are the best bet. As soon as oil turns around and starts skyrocketing (which it certainly will, again) those energy stocks are going to be worth some money.

Better yet, you should just send me your money and let me invest it.

In a guitar
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
Quote by Rankles

haha yeah wut you on about TS?

i hope that was sarcasm or something
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
Quote by itsxsteves
thanks kensai!!
*goes and buys hundreds of GM stock*

Everybody gets one...

Seriously though I'd hold off investing in stocks for a few months/years.
Quote by \m/_Chair_\m/
No. Economy bad. Stocks bad.

Economy bad=Stocks Good
So long as you're patient and you pick a company that'll outlive the storm
You'll see massive returns
Quote by Rankles

well surely its doing better than it used to be (recently)
and if its gunna climb up to what it used to be, this could be a great spot to invest at while theyre cheap

▼ but he is ▼
Pfizer is at $15 a share and has an 8% divided. Buy some.
If Honda falls under $20 a share, buy some.
For fun, buy some Chipotle. There isn't too much room for growth now but in the future it might go back to it's prices in early 08.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
Quote by itsxsteves
Ok, so I turned 18 a few months ago and I'm deciding I might as well buy a stock or two depending on its price, with the economy going up and all

does anybody do this, or recommend any companies worth investing in?

The economy going up and buying stock; you my friend should stop smoking crack.
I put $400 into Energy Solution at the end of November and sold in the begining of January and made $200. It isn't a huge amount but it helped me buy my PS3. It can be done, just be smart about what you buy.
Quote by ckellingc
puffycow, you rock

Quote by Krieg Commando
Puffycow, you've got mojo

touch me
Quote by Seryaph
I would not recommend investing in the stock market at all.

Unless you have $3000 laying around that you can afford, repeat AFFORD, to lose, investing in stocks is really not worth the amount of money you can possibly gain.

That being said, if you want a recommendation I would say that McDonald's and energy stocks are the best bet. As soon as oil turns around and starts skyrocketing (which it certainly will, again) those energy stocks are going to be worth some money.

Better yet, you should just send me your money and let me invest it.

In a guitar

i was looking into energy, what would be a good company?
energystar doesnt make stocks, they were going to be my choice

▼ but he is ▼
General Electric. They are lower then they have ever been right now. It's about $11.45 a share right now I believe. Depending on how much cash you have then you may want to look at buying an option.

General Electric has always been a good stock, and at the moment that can't really go much lower.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I assumed it was seeing as Obama's in power now, and he can fix anything.

Ahhh my hero.

i don't post much but i always can appreciate someone who can make me real life lol.
Quote by itsxsteves
well surely its doing better than it used to be (recently)
and if its gunna climb up to what it used to be, this could be a great spot to invest at while theyre cheap

How much money do you have to invest? Like I said, if it's anything less than $3000 there is not a single broker anywhere who will take you seriously unless you get one of the mini-accounts on some stock broker website where the fees will bleed you out of any profit you might gain.

I would avoid Phizer like the plague. You can make some money off of pharmaceutical companies but as soon as the FDA blocks one of their products their stock gets dropped like its hot. But that is just my opinion on pharmaceuticals and 8% dividend is pretty nice.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Call me Charlie.
Quote by Seryaph
How much money do you have to invest? Like I said, if it's anything less than $3000 there is not a single broker anywhere who will take you seriously unless you get one of the mini-accounts on some stock broker website where the fees will bleed you out of any profit you might gain.

I would avoid Phizer like the plague. You can make some money off of pharmaceutical companies but as soon as the FDA blocks one of their products their stock gets dropped like its hot. But that is just my opinion on pharmaceuticals and 8% dividend is pretty nice.

well im not investing anyyyything near $3000
i thought id buy somewhere around $100 worth, and have it go up over time
i dont have much money to play with seeing as im trying to get a car, but i thought this could be a pretty cool thing to get into

▼ but he is ▼
Quote by itsxsteves
i was looking into energy, what would be a good company?
energystar doesnt make stocks, they were going to be my choice

BP and Shell are pretty reliable from what I've heard. Although Shell is going foward with a rather ambitious digging project and the value of their stocks will largely depend on what the outcome of that is.

If you are looking for more aggressive stocks, the kind of stocks that can make your or break you look into some of the alternative energy companies. Those will probably be going up in the oncoming years as long as Obama sticks to this alternative energy policy.

Do some research on these companies, find out what their plans are, how they are doing financially and what not, and once you invest keep a hawk's eye out on the news, especially if they are aggressive stocks. You can lose most of your money in a hurry by not paying attention.

More stable companies will make you less money but the chances of losing money are significantly less. So it all depends on what your goals are.

Quote by itsxsteves
well im not investing anyyyything near $3000
i thought id buy somewhere around $100 worth, and have it go up over time
i dont have much money to play with seeing as im trying to get a car, but i thought this could be a pretty cool thing to get into

I would say that $100 is not anywhere near worth it. If you are really lucky you might make a little money, depending on what you invest in. Once the economy turns around Apple will be a good place to go to to invest in, but Apple stocks are just under $100. And one stock is not going to do you any good.

A good stock portfolio makes a return of 8% to 12% a year. An excellent one makes 15%, so that would be 15 dollars for you. Unless you stumble upon some stock that skyrockets you are most likely not going to make much money.

Call me Charlie.
Last edited by Seryaph at Feb 3, 2009,
investing in stocks really isn't investing, more like gambling, i would suggest putting money in something safer and that has a bigger return, realestate, bonds, insurances if you can afford it. Just throwing money into the stock market is just speculating what you think stocks will do and really isn't that safe, if you want to get serious about investing into the market you need to do a lot of research about the companies your investing in and what their plans are for the future, are they offering something that will still be here and worth paying for in a few years, or is it a failing idea.

but if you really just want to get your feet wet in the stock market i would go with:

Ford (F) hell of a deal actually bought 500 shares myself a few weeks ago
Microsoft(MSFT) if you can afford it, it is one hell of a deal right now.
Pepsi(PEPCO) also a good deal right now, own 200 shares its been reliable.
Google - again if you can afford it this would be the time to get in on google as well.
wtf?! WHY would you buy stocks now? that would be like sweeping picking to be unique
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker
Chef Strato-Massacre: Cooking shitstorms since that comment.

Quote by PurpleClawz
Damnit why are you full of so much win
Last edited by Strato-Massacre at Feb 3, 2009,
A Steinway Grand Piano is actually a really good investment. They appreciate very well.
wat.
Quote by tushmeister
Economy bad=Stocks Good
So long as you're patient and you pick a company that'll outlive the storm
You'll see massive returns

Yay someone who gets it.

This is a good time to buy stocks, coz they're all so cheap. Just don't buy into banks if you wanna see a return within 3 years. But buy into anything, as said, that will survive this downturn, and you'll have a nice tidy profit.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by linnux
its just GM dummy

I'm so sick of you corporate grammar nazis
Tesco is a safe bet in stock they are always growing soon they will take over the world =/ and then we will be but raped
Page 1 of 2