i have been having a HUGE arguement with my friends about this crap. i think, you cant replace jello. he WAS the dead kennedys. everyone else says he doesnt matter and that if you like the band, you should still see them. well i say **** you! no jello, no DK! same with darby, it only really bugs me about the germs when the new guy sings circle one and says "i am darby crash" NO YOUR NOT!!!! **** YOU!... well either way, me and my friend mike are gonna keep the tradition alive and peg jeff penalty with jello. he cant replace him! so, what do you all think about these a-hole replacements?
It can be good or bad. I like the way the Descendents did it where they just changed the name when they recorded with anyone who wasn't Milo..
Like-father, like-son rebels bloated on korn, eminems and bizkits. Lord hear our prayer take back your Amy Grant mosh-crews and your fair-weather politics
Jeff Penalty isn't in the band anymore.

While I do agree Jello Biafra was one of, if not the, greatest punk rock singers, I would still go see 'em live. No one really knows anything about the whole royalty lawsuit so it's hard to tell who to support. Still...Klaus, D.H., and East Bay Ray DID make most of the music and they're really good at their instruments. They were the ones playing the music and you can't have a band without...well music.

Also, I'm pretty sure Klaus isn't in the band anymore.

http://www.klausflouride.com/

It says on that site that he has an illness and probably won't tour anymore.

So yeah, I would still go support them if they came around my area.

EDIT

Wow, D.H. isn't in the band anymore either according to the offical site.

http://www.deadkennedys.com/

I think they're pretty much done.
Last edited by alkaline388 at Feb 3, 2009,
Quote by alkaline388
Jeff Penalty isn't in the band anymore.

While I do agree Jello Biafra was one of, if not the, greatest punk rock singers. I would still go see 'em live. No one really knows anything about the whole royalty lawsuit so it's hard to tell who to support. Still...Klaus, D.H., and East Bay Ray DID make most of the music and they're really good at their instruments. They were the ones playing the music and you can't have a band without...well music.

Also, I'm pretty sure Klaus isn't in the band anymore.

http://www.klausflouride.com/

It says on that site that he has an illness and probably won't tour anymore.

So yeah, I would still go support them if they came around my area.

I wouldn't simply because 99% of the time in Punk I don't care about anything but the lead singer, as bad as that may be... (There are exceptions. i.e. Mike Watt..). and I don't believe Jello's style/voice/anything could be copied too well.
Like-father, like-son rebels bloated on korn, eminems and bizkits. Lord hear our prayer take back your Amy Grant mosh-crews and your fair-weather politics
I sort of liked Jeff Penalty when I saw the DK reunion tour. Although he couldn't fill Jello's shoes, he didn't try to, and I thought that that was cool.

It's also nice to see that Ray won't be manning the Dead Kennedys name now it's just him.

While yes, he did deserve it with 3/4 of the group, seeing as how Ray and Klaus wrote all the music AND arranged all the songs, and Ray did the production, it would be big headed of Ray own his own to use the name.

And I do hope he doesn't use "the east bay ray band", because that's pompous too.
"i am darby crash" NO YOUR NOT!!!! **** YOU!...

Needless to say I lol'ed and yeah you're right it just isn't the same without Jello.
"I was influenced to play the guitar after I saw the guy on Power Rangers do it. I figured it would be easy, since a guitar is basically a big kazoo."

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Blues Deville(For now... FOR SALE )
Quote by BrianApocalypse
It's also nice to see that Ray won't be manning the Dead Kennedys name now it's just him.

While yes, he did deserve it with 3/4 of the group, seeing as how Ray and Klaus wrote all the music AND arranged all the songs, and Ray did the production, it would be big headed of Ray own his own to use the name.

And I do hope he doesn't use "the east bay ray band", because that's pompous too.

Agreed.
I hate hearing people say "Jello was the Dead Kennedys."
Jello may have been the wild frontman who got all the attention, but Ray and Klaus brought the riffs and licks that make DK great!
Yeah, Jello wasn't the Dead Kennedys, but he was like 50% of the collective.

Seeing him with them would be amazing.

Did anyone see him with the Melvins?
Quote by DempseyPunk
i have been having a HUGE arguement with my friends about this crap. i think, you cant replace jello. he WAS the dead kennedys. everyone else says he doesnt matter and that if you like the band, you should still see them. well i say **** you! no jello, no DK! same with darby, it only really bugs me about the germs when the new guy sings circle one and says "i am darby crash" NO YOUR NOT!!!! **** YOU!... well either way, me and my friend mike are gonna keep the tradition alive and peg jeff penalty with jello. he cant replace him! so, what do you all think about these a-hole replacements?

The DK thing is a joke. The Germs? I saw them live with Shane West. First off, he's the nicest, most down to earth guy ever. Totally chill, really fantastic. We hung out for a while before the set and he was so sweet. Second off? I really don''t care that they replaced Crash. 1) he's dead. You can't get around that 2) they're NOT writing new material, so it doesn't matter that way 3) He was awful live and this gives some people a chance to see a band they really love, built up of three of the four original members.

I bet you'd be okay replacing Lorna Doom or Pat Smear if Crash was still alive. And besides, plenty of bands have covered Circle One--do you yell fuck you at every one of them because they're not Darby Crash? I mean, maybe I'm biased because I'm not a huge Germs fanatic, but they way I see it is if all they're gonna do is one brief reunion tour to support a movie ABOUT Darby Crash, then go ahead. If they were gonna start recording and writing new material, go on more tours, etc. I'd think it's weird and that they should just get a new name.

/my worthless opinion.
DOWN&OUT
I think bands should just not have singers at all, and then they wouldn't have to worry about replacing them!
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Brandon Cruz who replaced Jello is an alright dude I seen him at the bar every now and then we have a punk rock bar out here. I don't know if you know but every Dead Kennedys show people bring jello and throw it at him. Not that cool to do but oh well.

I've seen Shane West and the Germs[which is what it should be called] a couple times and half the crowd boos them. Shane West does an amazing good on the vocals but his antics are just trying to be Darby Crash which is lame.

You can't replace these guys. But from what I hear Shane West isn't a bad dude. And from my experiences either is Brandon Cruz.
Quote by BR0KENHEARTED
Brandon Cruz who replaced Jello is an alright dude I seen him at the bar every now and then we have a punk rock bar out here. I don't know if you know but every Dead Kennedys show people bring jello and throw it at him. Not that cool to do but oh well.

I've seen Shane West and the Germs[which is what it should be called] a couple times and half the crowd boos them. Shane West does an amazing good on the vocals but his antics are just trying to be Darby Crash which is lame.

You can't replace these guys. But from what I hear Shane West isn't a bad dude. And from my experiences either is Brandon Cruz.

Brandon Cruz left DK back in like 03 didn't he?
The problem with this is that a singer often makes the band, Jim Morrison just wrote The Doors´ lyrics though they´ll never be able to have success with that again, still Robbie Krieger and Ray Manzarek are great musicians. Jello ist just a character I think and that´s what his voice mirrors.
I cannot speak about The Germs, but when I saw Reagan Youth their new singer was perfectly ok.
The way I see it, if a guy writes all the lyrics for a band, then the band shouldn't perform his songs without him. Replacing Jello Biafra, who wrote 99% of the lyrics and was basically the legendary personality of the band, is kinda messed up, especially since they did it without his blessing.

On the other side, though, there's bands like Black Sabbath. Tony Iommi wrote the lyrics and the music, Ozzy Osbourne was nothing more than a singer. So replacing Ozzy was just like replacing any other band member.

Couldn't think of any punk bands as examples to support my second point, so you guys are gonna have to put up with me talking about Black Sabbath.

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Quote by BR0KENHEARTED

Yes and no, in my opinion. When I saw them, West was really good on vocals, totally agree there--but he wouldn't cop any Darby Crash stage moves. I mean, he was energetic and throwing himself around, but there are plenty of front men who have done that before and after Darby Crash. Not to mention there was at one point someone shouting "CUT YOURSELF, LIKE DARBY DID!" and Shane just glared at him and was like "I'm not Darby Crash you asshole."

EDIT: In general, I will admit that I don't like the idea of replacing a singer. I just think that the Germs went about it tastefully and that Shane West gets a LOT of shit that he does NOT deserve. If someone's really pissed off about it, they should blame Pat Smear or something.

I mean, the way I see it, he's not trying to pretend to be Darby, they're not really continuing on, just doing the one off thing, no problem. Gave some kids a good chance to see the three other members who are still alive.
DOWN&OUT
Last edited by Jett Diamond at Feb 4, 2009,
Quote by JesusOfSbrbia
The way I see it, if a guy writes all the lyrics for a band, then the band shouldn't perform his songs without him. Replacing Jello Biafra, who wrote 99% of the lyrics and was basically the legendary personality of the band, is kinda messed up, especially since they did it without his blessing.

On the other side, though, there's bands like Black Sabbath. Tony Iommi wrote the lyrics and the music, Ozzy Osbourne was nothing more than a singer. So replacing Ozzy was just like replacing any other band member.

Couldn't think of any punk bands as examples to support my second point, so you guys are gonna have to put up with me talking about Black Sabbath.

Yes, but Geezer wrote the lyrics and Tony wrote the music.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Quote by HiImKindaNewAnd
Yes, but Geezer wrote the lyrics and Tony wrote the music.

Ah, my mistake.

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Nobody seems to have a problem with Black Flag going through 4 singers. What gives? >:P

The whole Dead Kennedys situation is a ****ing mess. Both sides wronged each other, and I refuse to take either side. Sure, it may have been ****ty for Ray, Klaus, and P.H. to take they're discography of Alternative Tentacles and go on tour with a new singer. But let's be honest, it was also pretty ****ty for Jello to not pay the band their royalties.

As far as the Germs are concerned, like Jett said, Darby was a terrible performer anyway. He wrote some great lyrics, but as far as live shows, you're not missing much. (And we joke about how bad Tim Armstrong's vocals are...) Plus Lorna Doom is a cutie, so the Germs can do whatever they want.
Quote by neidnarb11890

The whole Dead Kennedys situation is a ****ing mess. Both sides wronged each other, and I refuse to take either side. Sure, it may have been ****ty for Ray, Klaus, and P.H. to take they're discography of Alternative Tentacles and go on tour with a new singer. But let's be honest, it was also pretty ****ty for Jello to not pay the band their royalties.

I was under the impression that it was a banking error and that Jello didn't mean to, but he ended up not telling the band after he found out and fixed it and that's what they were mad about.. could be completely wrong though
honestly i don't care what jello did anymore after the remaining band members have completely and genuinely sold out. how can the current formation allow ****ing mtv to use their music when the band always had a stance against it. then again, jello might have been in on it. i don't know, i need to go do some speed.
The whole problem I have with bands like Dead Kennedys replacing their lead singer is the time between braking up and reforming. Dead Kennedys and Misfits were both restarted about 15 years after they broke up , and reunited without their lead singers. But other bands like Black Flag just kept going on after their singer left. Even if the singer is the main songwriter they shouldn't be able to just decide the entire band should stop going on simply because he simply doesn't want to play anymore.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
honestly i don't care what jello did anymore after the remaining band members have completely and genuinely sold out. how can the current formation allow ****ing mtv to use their music when the band always had a stance against it. then again, jello might have been in on it. i don't know, i need to go do some speed.

Jello let a few movies use it, like Freddie got Fingered.
i love east bay ray, but i will never go to a dk show again. (unless im armed with jello to throw) oh and heres a fun fact- darby is famous for having an extremely small johnson)
Quote by DempseyPunk
i love east bay ray, but i will never go to a dk show again.

Nobody will.
Quote by DempseyPunk
i love east bay ray, but i will never go to a dk show again. (unless im armed with jello to throw) oh and heres a fun fact- darby is famous for having an extremely small johnson)

haha! i still love him though. one of my favorite lyricists.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Nobody seems to have a problem with Black Flag going through 4 singers. What gives? >:P

As far as the Germs are concerned, like Jett said, Darby was a terrible performer anyway. He wrote some great lyrics, but as far as live shows, you're not missing much. (And we joke about how bad Tim Armstrong's vocals are...) Plus Lorna Doom is a cutie, so the Germs can do whatever they want.

tim armstrong is a great singer what are you talking about