Page 1 of 2
Hey everyone, I've been meaning to start this thread for awhile now, but I just got back today from a 30 day ban. Guess that's a sign to stay out of the pit lol.

Anyway, I just started my second semester of my third year(11th grade) of high school, and i have a beautiful wood shop in my hands 'till the end of June! My teacher said it would be okay to build a guitar as a project and get evaluated on it (I'll be using class time/after school time to work on it), but I'm a bit uneasy about building a guitar.

I've modded a few guitars before, such as putting in new pickups and stuff like that, but this will be my first ever complete build, and I'm just a tad uneasy. I've been interested in building a guitar for awhile, and if it goes well, I might decide to eventually make a career out of this, so my future might hang with this project.

So first off, I need some advice. I'm thinking of either building an Explorer or a Les Paul style body (leaning towards LP), here is what i think would be cool:

- T.O.M bridge and stop bar tailpiece (GFS)
- 22 frets
- 24 1/2 scale?
- carved top (how hard is this?)
- bolt-on or set neck
- 3 humbuckers (undecided)
- Wilkinson locking tuners(GFS)
- other hardware probably from GuitarFetish
- 2 vol. / 2 tone / 3-way switch configuration
- finish? (open to suggestions)

As for wood, I'm not sure yet... Price is a factor because I'm currently unemployed. My teacher said he'd look around his personal stock to see if he has anything of use for me, or he might get some of the school funding to chip in for a purchase (I'm special aren't I? ). As for tone, I'd like versatility. I play anything from AC/DC, to Santana, to Underoath, to Metallica, so you see I need some sort of wood that can accompany allot of different genres.

Pickups are also undecided at the moment. This too has to suit allot of different styles, so I'm open to suggestions.

Ok guys, now's the time for y'all to come up with some brilliant stuff to help me with this build . And also, if anyone has plans for Les Paul dimensions or whatever, would you be kind enough to hand 'em over?

Thanks in advance!
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
If Dimebag can't take a few bullets to the head how's he gonna be able to take a full on Kamehameha?
Last edited by skaterkevin87 at Feb 3, 2009,
It's a shame you're in canada I know osmewhere in the UK that has LP plans (buyable like), I don't know where else they'd be, but they're LP plans, there must be some on the internet! If not, draw round one at a shop (they should let you) or a friends or if you have one yourself.

SOunds like a good plan, on the "2 humbuckers (or maybe 3)" thing, I'd say go three, it'd be a lil' more work, but it would be a lot more Ace Frehly to do so
There's an ultimate template thread
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Thanks, I'll check the template thread, and yeah i want 3 buckers :P, but what kind? :O!
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
If Dimebag can't take a few bullets to the head how's he gonna be able to take a full on Kamehameha?
definetly a hard tail
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by Punk_Ninja
It's a shame you're in canada I know osmewhere in the UK that has LP plans (buyable like),

You do?

Linky?
Quote by Skeet UK
You do?

Linky?

http://www.luthierssupplies.co.uk/

And on the pickups, I have no idea what would make a good middle humbucker (never used one see) but if you're wantin' versatility I'd look for summin' like a DiMarzio PAF or Super Distortion or a Seymour Duncan JB or something, very middle of the road sorta stuff yakno.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
http://www.luthierssupplies.co.uk/

And on the pickups, I have no idea what would make a good middle humbucker (never used one see) but if you're wantin' versatility I'd look for summin' like a DiMarzio PAF or Super Distortion or a Seymour Duncan JB or something, very middle of the road sorta stuff yakno.

Cool, I'll check out the DiMarzio PAF in a sec, but for the Seymours I'm a bit reluctant. I've heard things from people that they're not the best. And how are prices for PAF's? Any other suggestions?
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
Rockfield makes great pickups, all humbuckers are $50.
check out the mafia,swc,and fatass one's
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
I looked at the Rockfields. They're nice, I'll add them to my ''maybe'' list.
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
Allright guys, any suggestions on wood? I need versatility, and I'm thinking one piece body if that matters. Nothing too expensive, I can't end up owing like 900$ for this project...
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
sapele
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
What kind of tone does it give? How expensive(roughly) for a piece big enough for a LP body to fit?
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
Buy it from LPaddict, it's pretty cheap. I picked up a body blank of sapele from him for 120-ish shipped. It just came in today and it's pretty. It's similar in tone to mahogany, but with a crisper low-end
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by bv310
Buy it from LPaddict, it's pretty cheap. I picked up a body blank of sapele from him for 120-ish shipped. It just came in today and it's pretty. It's similar in tone to mahogany, but with a crisper low-end

Kay, and do i get a discount if I tell people to buy like you are now? :P haha
So sapele is reccomended so far, what about necks? I need to know everything possible about necks... This is the part that I'm most uneasy about.
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
i'm hoping he'll cut me a deal later

for a neck, i'd say maple w/ rosewood or maple fretboard, jumbo frets, grover locking tuners, and only tung oil it, it's so smooth to play that way
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
get your pickups from tonefordays.com

or die.

what career choice? you want to build guitars for a living?

if so, ill try to refrain from laughing.

wait.

hahahahaha

i think that has been discussed 100 times because of teenagers having this epiphany where they conclude "i dont want to go to college, im lazy, i like playing guitar, i guess i could just work on guitars for a living!"
You can't really build guitars for a living... it's not like a choice you make.

I thought it was until I realized that it costs $10000 to start up a work shop and $2000 a month to keep steady builds going, and then I realized that no one wants to buy something that isn't A) Big name brand or B) Less that $300...

So that leaves you ****ed.

By all means build a guitar for fun, but it won't be your career.

The price of wood depends on location. For me, a sapele body blank is $100, for LP Addict it's $30.

Get all of your hardware and parts through LP Addict though, he'll score you sick dealios.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
If you want to work guitars for a living you might have a better shot in repairing them. Not many people are willing to spend $1000+ on a non-name brand guitar, but they sure as heck will pay money to keep their gibson/fender or whatever they got in good condition. Although just being able to repair guitars isn't a very good choice either so you would want to branch out and be able to repair all kinds of instruments. just my $.02
Lol, yeah.. Not cause I'm lazy and don't want to go to college. It's because I love woodworking and I love guitar, so 1+1 = 2. I was thinking of opening a store, and selling my guitars along with name brands. Anyways, LP... How much would you say for a sapele blank shipped to Ontario? What're your prices for various hardware? PM? ... Bv310, more info on necks pweese? And Ottar (not used to the new name, it's icky), if you live near my by any chance, where do you get your wood?
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
^ he gets his wood from LP
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Do not get the rest of the hardware from GFS.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by skaterkevin87
Lol, yeah.. Not cause I'm lazy and don't want to go to college. It's because I love woodworking and I love guitar, so 1+1 = 2. I was thinking of opening a store, and selling my guitars along with name brands. Anyways, LP... How much would you say for a sapele blank shipped to Ontario? What're your prices for various hardware? PM? ... Bv310, more info on necks pweese? And Ottar (not used to the new name, it's icky), if you live near my by any chance, where do you get your wood?

Next time you call my name icky I'll gouge out your eyes and skullfuck you.

I say that with all due respect.

I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba. However, to everyone outside of Canada, BC and Newfoundland might as well be the same place, except BC has a few more a dope strains named after it

I get all of my guitar making things from LP Addict and I get tools locally or from www.lmii.com .

Feel free to ask me anything else you need to about getting stuff in Canada.

As for opening your own shop to sell Fenders, Gibsons, and your own stuff...

1) Long and McQuade has more purchasing power and therefor lower prices than you can.

2) Long and McQuade is already rich, and they don't need to make rent, groceries, and hooker money all out of one store, therefor they have lower prices than you.

3) Everyone knows Long and McQuade, and no one knows you, therefor they have more customers.

4) Even though it isn't, everyone believes the Canadian economy is in the ****ter, and will be for the next 10 years, therefore you have no customers.

5) You can buy all the spend all the money and time making your own guitars, but they won't sell if you stand them up next to a Gibon, Fender, Ibby, whathaveyou.

My advice? Build guitars for fun, and have something to fall back on.

But hey, I'm just 15, so don't listen to me.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Yeah..you haven't even built a guitar before and you dream of a shop. Not going to happen for the reasons Otter says. It's a nice side business to build guitars but don't make it the only thing you do in life.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
The problem being, to get your name out there you need to make quite a few guitars, and to do that you need a lot of time, and if you have a job, a family, and internet pr0nz, you don't have the time...

I'm finding out first hand that the money you owe adds up and up until you're $900 into a project that you don't want to keep (because it won't be very good) and you can't sell (because it won't be good).

So you end up like a crab on a freshly shaven pubus, with no where to go and nothing to do, and you eventually get washed up in that lice killing shampoo called life.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Albino_Rhino
The problem being, to get your name out there you need to make quite a few guitars, and to do that you need a lot of time, and if you have a job, a family, and internet pr0nz, you don't have the time...

I'm finding out first hand that the money you owe adds up and up until you're $900 into a project that you don't want to keep (because it won't be very good) and you can't sell (because it won't be good).

So you end up like a crab on a freshly shaven pubus, with no where to go and nothing to do, and you eventually get washed up in that lice killing shampoo called life.

Dude.....what the HELL?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I really hope I'm not to late on you picking out pick-ups. Check this **** out. http://www.guitarpartsonline.com/index.php?cPath=27

As far as it goes... I'd suggest a:

Active pickup in the bridge. (Theres your heavier music)(still only $35 - $40 USD)
Middle? Something Solid and beefy. They make pick ups that are just like the PAF. Or atleast are modeled around them
Neck... I dunno. maybe thats where you make your guit-build unique? Something to fit your acoustic-ie side?

Dunno. hopefully this helps. Christ knows I love mine...
Gear:
Rip off Phantom guitar (DNKY)
Fender Princeton '65
Silvertone-re-build

ES31c Cut Away
Fender TexStrat Custom
Marshall 2x12 Anniv. Ed.
Vintage '82?

Line 6 - ToneCore Deathmetal Dist.
Mackie Mod Chorus (Custom)
Thanks for all the info, allthough I'm not sure how to take half the things Ottar says. to LP: I'll talk with my shop teacher to see if he has any big enough chunks of random woodsies for a body. If he doesn't, I'll think about buying from you. As for parts, I'm checking Allparts as we speak, and some of their stuff is not too shabby. For pickups, I think I might just pull out the bridge/neck from my crap-o-matic LP100, and buy meself a middle one, or I could go with DiMarzio. As for building a neck, y'all still haven't informed me on that, and I would appreciate all the info you guys could muster for me .
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
My advise is to find a niche. I own a guitar company but it took years to make it happen, I started mine with $75 and a desire to build guitars. I put my $75 into wood and a used router and 2 bits, made a cheap homemade router table then made bodies, then sold those bodies on ebay, did this over and over untill I had a decent pile of cash on my hands, then built a shop. I started building full guitars from there then laid the groundwork, I ended up signing 2 endorsement deals with Bryan Austin (guitarist for Clint Black) and Rodgers Stevens of Blind Melon. Yeah you'll build them preimum guitars for free but the payoff is worth it. I started this company when I was 23, I am 27 now and still at it, I do still have a full time job to pay the bills and something to fall back on, but building guitars and getting free backstage passes to all sorts of great shows is sort of a pay off for me, the money is good but not great for me, but for me it never really was about the money, I was going to do it regaurdless.

Thats just my two cents. I would do it all over again, and all I started with was $75 but you better be ready to bust your ass haha
Hey skaterkevin if you really wanna do this as a career email me at matthandley26@gmail.com there are some huge pit falls to avoid that I would be happy to share, and that goes for anyone else as well.
Thanks for the advice Matt. As for4 a career, I don't think it'd be good for full-time. I'm currently email-less as I've forgot the password to it, and I still have to make another one. You can PM me here in the meantime if you want. As for the pickup issue, I'm thinking:

http://www.guitarpartsonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=278

That for the bridge.

http://www.guitarpartsonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=282

Those for middle/neck.

I'm still unsure for pickups, I might also just put in 2 of these:

http://www.guitarpartsonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=184

More ideas would be great. I still need someone to explain to me (in detail would be great) the process of neck building.

Thanks
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
this is sort of on topic for those of you who do make guitars like LP etc, where do you get your clients from? website friends etc?
just wondering cause i was thinking abou making a few guitars for myslef and friends and if i enjoyed it, maybe make some n sell em in my spare time
Boxing Kangaroo Of The Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.
Quote by Aussie_skater
this is sort of on topic for those of you who do make guitars like LP etc, where do you get your clients from? website friends etc?
just wondering cause i was thinking abou making a few guitars for myslef and friends and if i enjoyed it, maybe make some n sell em in my spare time

NO JACKING!!

(Sorry I have absolutely no idea. Make a thread about it, and answers will come ).
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
Kay, so people, can you please answer some questions? I'm anxious to get started on this build, but I still need some info.
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
Quote by Albino_Rhino
But hey, I'm just 15, so don't listen to me.

Best advice you've given so far.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Page 1 of 2