Hello all, I know this thread has been done a million and a half times, so forgive me, but I'd like some personal help with the style I play with and what not.

So I'm looking for a tube amp, I have never had one before and I am ready to get one. I find my current tone very lacking (Vox Valvetronix and Spider III /gag)

So here's the "limits:"
- roughly $500-$700
- Looking for something loud enough for band practice and possibly gigs, but also decent for semi-quiet practice sessions
- would prefer to buy new, I don't have much access to used shops around the area (Guitar Center is my primary store now a days )
- As for my style, I play a LOT of stuff, but I'm sort of looking for something along the lines of a good clean with some good distortion. I don't really play much metal. I am a BIG fan of post-rock and prog rock. I also like indie-ish stuff such as Built to Spill.
- I don't have a problem with supplementing the amp with pedals. The only one I have right now is a Boss DS-1, but I wouldn't any problems running that through a good clean amp.
- The guitars I use: A Fender Strat, A Fender Jaguar HH, and an Ibanez RGt6ExFx (EMG pickups). Mostly use the two fenders, but I love the playability of the Ibanez :p

That's about it. I've considered things such as the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and Blues Deluxe, but I'm pretty open to suggestions. Keep in mind that I really only have easy access to a Guitar Center and I would prefer not to buy online as I would at least like to test it out before hand.

Thank you very much =]
Peavey classic 30
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Peavey classic 30 or 50, Traynor ycv 50 blue, or the one of the fender amps you mentioned.

Try them all and pick your favourite.
Peavey Limited Exp Hss
BC Rich BW-4000BB
Schecter C-1 Classic
Quote by tomguitarworshi
Peavey classic 30 or 50, Traynor ycv 50 blue, or the one of the fender amps you mentioned.

Thank you.

These all take pedals well, I'm assuming?
Quote by tomguitarworshi

+1 (ycv 40 would be worth a look too if you like the fendery thing, coupled with a nicer overdrive channel).

some of those crate combos might be worth a try too, but i haven't been able to try them.

i haven't tried them with pedals either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 3, 2009,
Quote by SGPlayer08
I would highly suggest a Peavey Classic 30.

I've been watching videos on YouTube of it. It seems to be pretty versatile and sounding very good at the same time. I'm really digging it, I'm leaning towards this at the moment.
try out a Traynor YCS 50. Its very versatile and sounds amazing. You can get good cleans, and good overdrive tones. Test it out and see what you think.
Go peavey classic. Unless you want more gain. Then look into some other peavey amps.
Quote by TheGoalie64
try out a Traynor YCS 50. Its very versatile and sounds amazing. You can get good cleans, and good overdrive tones. Test it out and see what you think.

I will try this out if I get the chance. I plan on testing a LOT of amps before I make a final decision, I just wanted your guys' input. That C30 is looking real nice so far though.
Out of curiosity, how would a Peavey Valveking 212 do for some decent diversity between cleans and distortion?
For your budget you can do better, in fact, every other amp listed thus far is a sight better than it.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
For your budget you can do better, in fact, every other amp listed thus far is a sight better than it.

Really? Wow. I've heard pretty good things about the VK series. I'm planning on heading to GC tomorrow. We'll see how things turn out.
It's not a bad amp, the 112 is a pretty good value, but it's still an entry level tube amp and it sounds pretty mediocre. Not to mention a tube swap and a speaker swap are almost a necessity out of the box.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Ouch. That's definitely not something I want to mess around with right, right off the back at least. Here's to hoping guitar center has a good stock of amps in.
if you can try out a peavey classic 30. very versatile. it doesn't have much gain on tap to get the br00t4lz but you said you're not much of a metal player. it's quiet enough for home practice and it can get loud enough for gigs. plus it takes pedals EXTREMELY well.

if you decide you want one, i have one for sale
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1062252

EDIT: ^^ about that VK. you have to remember, just because an amp is tube it doesn't necessarily make it a great amp. there are a fair share of good quality amps, both SS and Tube, as well as **** amps, also SS and/or Tube. i found the cleans on the VK a bit muddy IMO.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Last edited by SomebodySomeone at Feb 8, 2009,
Hey infinate rain listen to the clips of the Bugera 333XL on my profile.
I play Progressive Rock, Post rock, and stuff like that too.
The cleans are beutifull to me, as well as the Overdrive and Lead channels.
don't be. i got it used too. it's a very dependable amp. it's never broken down on me once. i'm sure there are plenty testamonies from UG'ers that'll verify that it's a solid build amp. think about it.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
The HRD would be a great option provided you don't use the distortion.

If you can find one, a Sunn Beta Lead would be great, as would a Mesa F-30, F-50, DC-3 or DC-5.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Kevin Saale
It's not a bad amp, the 112 is a pretty good value, but it's still an entry level tube amp and it sounds pretty mediocre. Not to mention a tube swap and a speaker swap are almost a necessity out of the box.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?