I need to record a upright piano. My interface only has a program for plugging one mic in so keep to tecniques to one mic only please. I need microphone suggestions as well. I've got a shure sm57 but I've heard that they arn't good for micing pianos. Any help would be appreciated thanks.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
You will want a condenser. A great option would be an AKG C1000. Do you have a budget?
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
yeah I had heard a lot of good things about condensers. I guess I've got upwards to around $200. I'd rather spend less than that though.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
just whack a mic into the top of the piano. not too far in though.
at least thats what i did in a live situation and that was fine.
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
Sm57's work fine with pianos.... well they did with my sisters... wait thats a grand/baby grand technique... any way its you have a figure 8 mic in the middle and then an sm57 pointing down in the blind spot.