A couple years ago I bought a Fender Squier and never really played it. I knew that they were **** guitars and I only bought it so i could have a guitar with a whammy.
A couple days ago I thought about it and I've started to customize it. I've taken the neck off and soon I'm unsoldering the pick ups and selector switch. I took the bridge off too, and I was just wondering. Would maintaining a Bigsby Tailpiece be a hassle? I know it's kind of an old school type of whammy but before I put it on I want to know, are they a bitch?

For people who don't want to read that: Are Bigsby tailpieces hard to manage and maintain?
Not really. I ****ing LOVE Bigsby tailpieces.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Not too hard to take care of. Restringing is slightly annoying. But that's about it.
Thanks guys! I'm thinking of getting the B500 model. Would that be a good choice for my Squier body? And is restringing and tuning like a Floyd Rose tremolo? I absolutely hate those.
It's not a Floyd at all.

It's just different, look at this:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-tech/119500-bigsby-tele%3D-love.html

You put the strings in away from the neck, pull them all the way through, turn them over the roller, put them under the larger metal bar, then over the bridge itself and you're golden.

It's really simple.

EDIT:

And that isn't mine, either. I ****ing wish I had that Tele...
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Thanks guys! So knowing all this I'll probably get the B500. However, since the Bigsby is just a tailpiece, could I put a stable bridge on my Squier where the original whammy used to be? I'm asking because when I took the first bridge out I also took the spring tension system out. Would I need to reinstall it and just take the tremolo arm out?
I also read that putting new pickups in a Squier won't make really a big difference. Is my Squier a lost cause because it's made of low quality wood or could I (with some good quality pick ups) make my Squier sound somewhat good.
The closest I can get to describing the type of music I play is "big atmosphere". My band sounds somewhat like Annuals, and Explosions in the Sky, except with lyrics.
Thanks a lot guys!!
Last edited by BenMags at Feb 3, 2009,
You need either a TOM or roller bridge for a Bigsby. I think you can get a roller that fits a strat, if not you can probably jerry-rig a Roller bridge into the hole left from your old trem. You may want to look into getting the B5, not the 500, if you can afford it. The B5 has better construction and QC.

also, A guitar is NEVER a lost cause unless the body is literally smashed into a thousand pieces. Even then it may be able to be saved
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Thanks bv310. I'll look at the B5. It's cheaper too so that's a bonus! I've had experience with the TOM bridge and it's pretty good. However, on my Squier there's a hole where the old bridge was. What do I do about that? Can I still put a TOM or a roller bridge there?