Page 1 of 2
So here's the deal, my band has beed playing with only 3 members (1 bass, 2 guitars) and now we found a drummer and a vocalist. The problem is that the vocalist wants to play something, he doesn't want to just stand there singing so we have 2 options: let him play bass and sing or play guitar and sing.

Let one of the guitar players go isn't an option 'cause if the lead goes the drummer goes too and I'm the second guitar player, so no. The bass player won't leave the band because he was with us in the first place.

We're all good friends that want to play together, what do you think about this? Any suggestions?

Danke.

SPORTING CLUBE DE PORTUGAL

"And the earth died screaming as I lay dreaming"
you could do Dueling basses or something. you can probably do something cool with two basses
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
what kind of music do you play?

I think alot of the time, its good for a singer not to be hiding behind an instrument because it can really help to engage with the audience.

I have seen a band with 2 basses... it sounded pretty bad.
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
Try giving him 3rd guitar parts in some songs? May add a bit of texture to your sound.

I do think it'd be better if he just did vocals though personally. He can get more involved with the audience then.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
Two bassists would most likely sound realllly muddy

unless one of them is extremly good

but like i suggested

KEYBOARD
Three guitars can work. It'll either thicken up your sound or let you have better or harmonized leads without losing the rhythm guitar.
Oh Shit!
Lot's of bands have 3 guitar players. It's a little bit 70'sish, but whatever. Collective Soul did it in the 90's. Dream Theatre sound like they have 3.
IdirtI

I sold my Parker Nitefly, Line 6 POD X3 Live and Crate Powerblock on Ebay. I'm depressed about it, so if I'm grumpy, that's why. = (
Make him watch loads of videos of Great Singers, Axl Rose, Freddie Merc etc. and let him see what its like to be real singer
Gear:

Tokai Les Paul LS65
Carvin MTS3200 212 Combo
Boss SD-1 with Monte Allums GT Mod
Dunlop Crybaby

100 Watt Marshall JCM900 2x12 Combo For Sale! £400! PM Me For Details/Offers...
Also, let him try something (keys, percussions etc.) but also consider convincing him to work the crowd. That in itself sounds like it could be quite a challenge
2 basses? IMO is never a good idea, there are bands that do it, impresive skills there , but it kind sound out of place to me.
if he wants to play something keyboards can work great, or maybe he should play guitar in some songs, like bono from U2
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Well we will be playing some Rock/Metal/Blues.

But yeah, we'll have to try the 2 basses and the 3 guitars and take our owns conclusions I guess.

Last resource will be me playing ukelele. D:

When I first started singing for my band I vowed that I would never go up on stage without an instrument. It makes the whole experience less nerve-wracking because you have something to do when you're not singing. However, after about a year of stage experience I just didn't care anymore and now I'm up there rocking out without my guitar.

So basically I understand where your singer is coming from. I'm guessing he doesn't have a lot of stage experience. I say let him play guitar live until he feels comfortable performing without an instrument. Don't do two bassists, it may seem like a cool idea but I guarantee you that it will just lead to more problems. Instead let your singer double up on the rhythm guitar part. Or you can have your other two guitars harmonizing or something like that. Either way, three guitars will be much easier to pull off than two basses.
Quote by Friendly Stoat
Try giving him 3rd guitar parts in some songs? May add a bit of texture to your sound.

I agree. And if he wants, he can just play root notes or something, for thickness and strength.
He's also a better guitarist than bassist I think and the ideia of harmonizing sounds great too.

You could go the Boston route and have him

a) Sing w/o instrument
b) Sing w/ acoustic guitar
c) Sing w/ keyboard/organ
d) Sing w/ random percussion thingy (tambourine, cowbell)

I personally prefer A or D, lets the singer engage the audience alot more.

Then again, all of the above make for a great show!
Last edited by Superstrat101 at Feb 3, 2009,
Bass covers a very specific area in the range of frequencies that humans can hear. It's hard enough getting one bass to share that space with a kick drum; fitting a second bass in there is a recipe for disaster.
You could have the first bass be the 'lead bassist' of sorts, playing melodies in the high register along with the lead guitarist and then have the singer and rhythm guitar do the rhythm stuff and normal basslines.
Honestly just tell him to sing. You're going to have to be very careful with 2 basses to prevent it getting muddy and a third guitarist probably isn't necessary. If anything I'd give him a keyboard or something interesting.
Keyboards, percussion, Synth, and like people are saying, try the harmony lead thing- it'd help because you wouldn't need a loop.
he's a singer. he should just sing. once he wants to really get the crowd going and be active, the guitar or bass will get in the way.
if it's neo-classical, symphonic, power, doom or gothic i reccomend keys (for doom and gothic violin works too)
but if not go with 3rd gugitar, that's what my band is doing
Quote by dead-fish
^My god.

98% of teenagers have had or have been around alcohol, sig this if you like begals
Quote by Demoniac_UK
if it's neo-classical, symphonic, power, doom or gothic i reccomend keys (for doom and gothic violin works too)
but if not go with 3rd gugitar, that's what my band is doing

No, it's more Rock/Metal/Blues at least for now. But tell me, how do you guys deal with it? You try to harmonize and stuff like the other dwds said?

Just tell him to sing. He'll get used to it.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by koslack
Bass covers a very specific area in the range of frequencies that humans can hear. It's hard enough getting one bass to share that space with a kick drum; fitting a second bass in there is a recipe for disaster.

^ this

and from what i've heard and my own experiance singing and playing bass is very hard. he's better off just working the crowd and doing what a vocalist does. for me, when i go to a show and the vocalist is also a guitarist it takes a fair amount out of the show for me. don't get me wrong there are ALOT of good bands with a singing guitarist, but personaly i'd rather have a vocalist in my face the whole show.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Boss pedals drain power like a girlfriend drains your bank account.

GEAR:
4 string warwick corvette $$ BO

acustic 200 head & 410 cab
Quote by catchy phrase
Three guitars can work. It'll either thicken up your sound or let you have better or harmonized leads without losing the rhythm guitar.

+1

3 guitarists makes more sense than 2 bassists for this reason. If this won't work, just tell him to deal with it...there are plenty of lead singers who don't play instruments.
Quote by Dealer16
No, it's more Rock/Metal/Blues at least for now. But tell me, how do you guys deal with it? You try to harmonize and stuff like the other dwds said?

well tbh we've not reherased yet we need a drummer >
but what i think will happen is use dual lead and one rhythm/harmony guitar, a bit like Iron Maiden.

if it's metal i reccomend third guitar tbh
Quote by dead-fish
^My god.

98% of teenagers have had or have been around alcohol, sig this if you like begals
My idea was pretty good, a lead bassist and guitarist could do harmonized melodies and counterpoint-ish stuff together, and a bass and guitar would hold down the lower, rhythm end.
Quote by idirti
Lot's of bands have 3 guitar players. It's a little bit 70'sish, but whatever. Collective Soul did it in the 90's. Dream Theatre sound like they have 3.

Collective Soul didn't have all 3 playing at the same time usually though.....
Tell him he can play guitar on the songs he writes. That's the unspoken agreement with Pearl Jam, Eddie Vedder plays guitar on the songs that he writes and they fit two guitar parts over that, otherwise he just sings.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
DONT GIVE HIM A BASS!!! Your band could do crazy harmonies and stuff with three guitars.
Keyboard! Then he can add all sorts of cool musical effects to the songs, strings, brass, keyboards, synth leads and all sorts of stuff.
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
Thank you guys.

triangle.

if that doesn't work for him then get a keyboard. BTBAM did it.
bro0otal

Drummer

Guitarist___________Bassist________________Vox______________________Lead Guitarist
Pull a Hawthorne Heights/Avril Lavigne/Jonas Brothers stunt and have him hold a guitar, but not play it unless it's an instrumental part
Check out my band Disturbed
Page 1 of 2