looks like i cant make a proper poll..........

lets hear what you think anyway
best signature ever
Alternate picking pwns.

/thread

You need to alternate pick well in order to economy pick well.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
do you think theres any advantage to alternating everything, even when it is not economical?
best signature ever
They both have their place, uses and tone.

Learn both.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
The best advantage of economy picking is set yourself on fire and stop making stupid threads.
Use the search bar.
Quoting from gold...

Quote by edg
Ok, what I've already said still holds -- alternate and economy are simply 2 different
forms of expression -- but, I'm going to make a general statement and explain it.

If you wanted to pick which one was more "natural" and of general use, I think it would
clearly be alternate picking. Because nature, given 2 systems that produce a single
result, will choose the system requiring less "energy". At first glance, economy appears
to require less energy, but that's only when you don't look at the entire picture or
consider that mental energy is just as necessary to "power" the system as physical
energy, and is perhaps even more important of a factor.

The total system is "picking a note" which can be broken down into 2 subsystems: the
left hand and right hand. Both mental and physical energy have to be pumped into
each system to operate the entire system so that the desired result is produced.

In alternate picking each subsystem is relatively uncoupled. Regardless of what the
left hand is doing, the right hand is just doing DUDUDUDU.... But, there is still a synching
requirement between the 2 systems.

In economy picking, there is still the same synching requirement. But, in this case
there is now a MUCH higher degree of coupling. In physical systems terms you'd say
constraints have been added to the system and degrees of freedom of been reduced.
The right hand must now "know" when the left hand is going to change strings AND
it must factor that with the state of whether or not it has just completed an U or D
stroke. When a total system gets MORE complex by adding constraints and decreasing
it's degrees of freedom, it requires MORE energy to operate it. In this case its mostly
a lot more mental energy.

So, overall I'd say, if you've found economy picking to be more "natural", you're going
against nature. Probably it's because, considering only physical efficiency and the
ever-present obsession with speed, you practiced the types of things that lend themselves
more easily to economy picking over and over in order to reduce the mental energy
needed at playing time. What you'll find is that as the left hand complexity goes up,
economy picking requires A LOT more total energy to keep the system operating, whereas
alternate picking tends to be an even amount of energy over all kinds of left hand
complexity (because it's far less coupled).
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
thanks silver dark, that pretty much explains it.
**** you kroaton, i searched and found nothing useful - you didnt exactly add anything with you post either.
best signature ever
They are both useful techniques. One is not better than the other, just more (or less) appropriate for a particular situation.

Use the technique that is most appropriate for what you are playing.
Quote by SilverDark
Alternate picking pwns.

/thread

You need to alternate pick well in order to economy pick well.

Not even close to true, I naturally economy pick everything. I have to pay attention to alternate pick or i will downstroke every string ascending and vice versa.
I much prefer alternate picking. I find you have more rhythmic and dynamic accuracy with alternate picking than you do with economy. I also prefer the sound of alternate.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Alternate picking just has this natural logic to it when it comes to dynamics and rhythm.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by fleh
advantages/ disadvantages of each?

why is it either or? they both have their place.

personally, i dont really do much if any economy picking. and thats really because im lazy lol. also i havent really had any need for it. i do it sometimes depending on what im playing. but its just what feels natural to me.

but i guess an advantag of alternate picking would be that every note would be defined while economy would sound more fluid....which i guess could be an advantage of economy picking actually. so its really about what you wanna do and if its logical to pick in an alternate fasion or not.
I use both depending on what I'm doing. Alternate is more natural but playing something like arpeggio's is a lot easier with economy picking.
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
'91 Standard Gibson SG [w/ Bare Knuckle Warpigs]
Peavey Triple XXX 112