Page 1 of 2
about 2 weeks ago i got an used epiphone les paul junior for $80 to learn how to mod stuff and it sounds amazing and plays like a dream imo

so i ask has something like this ever happened to you
Quote by RizzoWashburn
Oh, and this is the internet. I have the right to be a douchebag. Fuck off.
I got my main guitar for $115 and it's amazing.
Guitars
Douglas WRL595, ESP LTD EC-50, 60's Partscaster
Amps
Peavey Valveking 112 w/Vet30
Pedals
Fender Starcaster Chorus ,MXR Classic Overdrive, Artec 8 Band Equalizer, Digitech Hardwire Delay
i love my squire starter pack strat. it was more than $100, but it was still damn cheap
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
Ive got several Gibson's (2x Les Paul Double Cuts, Vintage double cut Melody Maker, 68 SG) and Fender's (Strat, Tele) at my disposal, and my main guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul Special II that my dad bought used for $89 in 1997. Its been modded, but even before that, it was a good guitar. Needs a new fret job right now though, but it still plays wonderfully.
why yes i have i bought my martin for around 80 dollars and it is still my main acoustic came with an L.R. Baggs pickup too lol (don't kill me if i misspeled any thing)
I pay for music and so should you: http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ipayformusic

Quote by Music18
u just got to love fat strats.... and i really like the ones that hav 2 single pick upsm then the humbucker near the bridge... very nice =)
I've played an Epiphone LP Junior for a few years now. I wired a kill button which was sweet for a while. I just bought a Schecter Damien B2 FR which I can't wait for.

The epiphone was cool while I was learning but now I realize that the action sucks on it and limits what I can play.
I bought a Peavey milestone 4 with a 10 watt amp for $150.I sold the amp for $50.I love the bass it sounds great
Luna Andromeda dragon bass
Schecter Omen Extreme
Fender strat
Fender Labrea electic/acoustic
Peavey tour 450
Peavey tour 410/115
Galien-kruger Backline 600
Black Heart BH15h
Gibson Les Paul gold top (Knock off)
I bought an Epi Goth LP with a FR trem from a buddy for $80 a few years back.It was a great guitar for the money.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

yup. got a 1986 Ibanez Roadstar II way back in the day for only 65, now after about 6 years and a few paint jobs and a little modifications later it still plays beautifully.
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
I bought both my basses for $60 apiece. One of craigslist, one from a pawn shop. I leave the crappier one at school, although the only problem is the pickguard is warped.
Gear:
Squier Strat
Cordoba 20TM-CE Acoustic Electric Tenor Uke
Bugera V22
Quote by rorygodowsky
why yes i have i bought my martin for around 80 dollars and it is still my main acoustic came with an L.R. Baggs pickup too lol (don't kill me if i misspeled any thing)

^^^ You mispelled "mispelled"
YEAH!!! i got a nykon string classical at the hometown auction down in hometown for $15 And i love it, it stays in tune 4 days! i got it so cheap cause it looked like a piece of crap, but after a little elbow grease it works like new except for the 11, 12, and 13 on the high e, theyre all muted
My Gear:
EspLtd ec-1000 ]
Epi Les Paul
dean avalanche (project guitar)
C.F. Martin/ Sigma DR-41
C.F. Martin CS-1 classical
Vox Valvetronix tonelab ST
C.F.Martin/ Sigma D-12
got my Dean EVO for 80, I loved it, but through my own fault ****ed up the electronics, but im using the neck for my current build
my squier strat is my go 2 guitar. i have a custom built les paul and a tele but my strat is my favorite. i got it 4 $100 but i plan on puttin $250 worth of mods and pickups in it
2 out of 3

I got the '51 for $99 and the guitar on the right of the '51 for $10 at a yard sale and it turned out to be a great sounding guitar.
Last edited by jimmy2579 at Feb 3, 2009,
My first guitar was a gift from my grandma, it was an old Teisco guitar, probably worth like $25, but I love the sound that comes from it, just don't like the bridge or neck or anything else really, haha, though I still love everything about it.
Quote by Don Tonberry
I got my main guitar for $115 and it's amazing.

dude me too and its the same guitar. so much better than those stupid squier start packs.
Ive owned over 300 guitars in 20 years. Most from pawn shops. One in particular comes to mind. I had a fender strat mim I paid 120 for from pawn shop. I added a 3 way toggle switch and an Ibanez humbucker. Man that m.f. was bad ass! Still have it near me though I gave it to my wife as apresent before i got rid of it. Its 14 years old and sounds and plays way better than what I have now.

I always modded my guiars someway or another but this one just had a magic to it. During the time of my ownership of this guitar, I had 13-14 others I could play but this one was THE ONE!
I bought a basswood strat body for £30, a pre-wired pickguard for £40 and used an old neck and old bridge, that's £70, I love it, well from what I've played of it, need to do some more things to it yet.
only musical instrument i bought for under 100 broke within the week i had it
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
I just bought a 2002 model cort and trust me it looks same if not better than a american fender strat and it plays super.
Quote by jimmy2579
2 out of 3

I got the '51 for $99 and the guitar on the right of the '51 for $10 at a yard sale and it turned out to be a great sounding guitar.

For some reason that squire looks sexy to me. What model is that?
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
My Squier Bullet's a pretty cool guitar. Price doesn't matter for a guitar as long as it feels good to play.
Both of my guitars are under 100$ , one is an Aria sunburst strat copy and the other is a Behringer starter pack guitar and I have to say they rock.
It's funny , the new pickups I'm getting for them cost more than the actual guitars.
i got a vintage Wraith for £100 and loved that guitar... until i got sick of changing strings on a floyd
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
I would be angry too if there were turds on my head.
Quote by bastratard
Ive owned over 300 guitars in 20 years. Most from pawn shops. One in particular comes to mind. I had a fender strat mim I paid 120 for from pawn shop. I added a 3 way toggle switch and an Ibanez humbucker. Man that m.f. was bad ass! Still have it near me though I gave it to my wife as apresent before i got rid of it. Its 14 years old and sounds and plays way better than what I have now.

I always modded my guiars someway or another but this one just had a magic to it. During the time of my ownership of this guitar, I had 13-14 others I could play but this one was THE ONE!

300 Guitars? sorry but im calling bs on that one.

Anyway I havent gotten a cheap guitar that Ive liked without modding it first.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
lethal dosage: call it b.s. if you want. I ve been playing guitar for 20 years. I was buying guitars from pawn shops since before you were ****ting green.

So for the record, here is what I didnt say (since i didnt feel I had to explain myself to anyone but since I do):

None of those guitars were ever worth 50 dollars. Corts, harmonys, fake bc richs, fake les pauls, other off brand strat style guitars. Never did I spend anywhere close to 100 dollars. Back in the late eighties and the early nineties we had more pawnshops in my town than in the big city of Savannah. Now though, there all gone.

In those days you could buy a cheap piece of **** for 50 dollars cash and take it home and do what you want. I had nothing better to do and nothing better to spend my money on. At that time I didnt care about amps or effects, (werent any in the pawn shops anyway). Ive always felt that guitars were like art. Some people collect paintings like picasso or michelangelo. Not me. Ive owned 4 Ibanez. Ive owned probably 50 strat style guitars. 3-4 Corts (one was a V style and one was a Les Paul style. the others were basic strat style.) Ive owned probably 20 different acoustics. One a martin D-28 that I talked someone into giving to me after they broke into someones house and stole it. I almost got the Fender Strat American but didnt work out. Ive had who knows how many harmony guitars. Those are the piece of ****s no one wants, but I did. Ive owned 4 different strats, 2 in my possession right now. I have a strat body that has a hondo neck on it. I broke the neck when I got pissed off with it cause it was warped. It was made in Japan. I have still a Hyundai that I was told was made by the car company. Cool. Its all tore apart and been highly customized through the years. A jackson concept. A shecter c1 elite I still have. Ibanez roadstar. Ive owned No American made guitars. Why? Because I like to take them apart and work on them. Different pickups, different bridges.

BTW - Ive never owned more than 13 at one time. And thats happened twice.

Well, I think Ive explained enough to you. I see youve been playing for a couple years now. Keep it up. Youll get better. Maybe youll see the guitar the way I do.

You should spend more time playing guiatr than trying to disprove a fact you cant.
I understand you dont believe that, and thats ok. But I had an opportunity to collect them and handle them and have fun with them. I had a chance to figure out what I want out of a guitar and the setup I want in a guiatr. I have what I want and now that Im an adult, I dont have that opportunity now. I cant just go out and buy whatever I want now.
Last edited by bastratard at Feb 6, 2009,
Not really hard to believe. A lot of people buy/trade and sell tons guitars in one year. After twenty years that'll add up, especially if they didn't cost too much.
I got several guitars used for $100.00 and under and they all have made me happy. I got an Epi LP on Eaby with HSC for $40.00. It was in tuff shape but with about $20.00 in parts and work it's a great little guitar. Others I have gotten were a DEAN ML Noir, Shecter Avenger A7, Epi LP Sam Ash limited Edition Bill Lawrence, Epi Firebird, 2 Washburns, 2 BC Rich guitars SOB and Warbeast There are several more that I paid less than 150 for as well. All these guitars I either got on Ebay or Craig's list in the last year or so. I still have all of these too.

Right now you can score guitars fairly cheap even the high end ones it's a buyers market if you stick to your guns you can negotiate prices way down on privet sales. The other day while at two different guitar shops they were refusing buying guitars for cash only offering trade value/store credit. So people desperate for cash have to sell privately.

I saw someone didn't believe someone could own over 300 guitars in 20 years I have bought and sold well over 2000 guitars since I got into it in the 70s. I currently own over 50 in my collection now and will buy more. I only keep the guitars I like the ones I buy I don't care for I resell for profit. Check my pics I have each guitar sitting right here. Some people buy guitars just to play I buy them to play and collect.
Last edited by johnro6659 at Feb 6, 2009,
Yes...I got a "FrankenPeavey" off eBay for $80. It's reliced and made from parts from 4 different models (had to save the description so I don't forget) but it's got a brand new neck and sounds great. I also did a "guitar rescue" of a Hohner MW400-N from an A-Hole that even abused his $2500 Les Paul. Got the Hohner for $25 and put another $30 into it (excl. strings) and it's really cool when you put a Dean Markley in the sound hole. I really like finding "orphans" like these and someday will just give them away to some kid with that gleam in his or her eye...
Quote by bastratard
lethal dosage: call it b.s. if you want. I ve been playing guitar for 20 years. I was buying guitars from pawn shops since before you were ****ting green.

So for the record, here is what I didnt say (since i didnt feel I had to explain myself to anyone but since I do):

None of those guitars were ever worth 50 dollars. Corts, harmonys, fake bc richs, fake les pauls, other off brand strat style guitars. Never did I spend anywhere close to 100 dollars. Back in the late eighties and the early nineties we had more pawnshops in my town than in the big city of Savannah. Now though, there all gone.

In those days you could buy a cheap piece of **** for 50 dollars cash and take it home and do what you want. I had nothing better to do and nothing better to spend my money on. At that time I didnt care about amps or effects, (werent any in the pawn shops anyway). Ive always felt that guitars were like art. Some people collect paintings like picasso or michelangelo. Not me. Ive owned 4 Ibanez. Ive owned probably 50 strat style guitars. 3-4 Corts (one was a V style and one was a Les Paul style. the others were basic strat style.) Ive owned probably 20 different acoustics. One a martin D-28 that I talked someone into giving to me after they broke into someones house and stole it. I almost got the Fender Strat American but didnt work out. Ive had who knows how many harmony guitars. Those are the piece of ****s no one wants, but I did. Ive owned 4 different strats, 2 in my possession right now. I have a strat body that has a hondo neck on it. I broke the neck when I got pissed off with it cause it was warped. It was made in Japan. I have still a Hyundai that I was told was made by the car company. Cool. Its all tore apart and been highly customized through the years. A jackson concept. A shecter c1 elite I still have. Ibanez roadstar. Ive owned No American made guitars. Why? Because I like to take them apart and work on them. Different pickups, different bridges.

BTW - Ive never owned more than 13 at one time. And thats happened twice.

Well, I think Ive explained enough to you. I see youve been playing for a couple years now. Keep it up. Youll get better. Maybe youll see the guitar the way I do.

You should spend more time playing guiatr than trying to disprove a fact you cant.
I understand you dont believe that, and thats ok. But I had an opportunity to collect them and handle them and have fun with them. I had a chance to figure out what I want out of a guitar and the setup I want in a guiatr. I have what I want and now that Im an adult, I dont have that opportunity now. I cant just go out and buy whatever I want now.

I honestly wouldn't want to look at the guitar the way you do. I am not saying that you owning that many guitars over the amount of years you have isn't bad, its very awesome in its own sense. But, guitars don't shape your tone half as much as amps do.

How many decent or high quality amps have you owned over the years? I would rather switch the 300 guitars to 300 amps, that would be impressive.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
CarbonDeath: I hear you. I just didnt see a need for amps. I had a crate g20 cxl which had two 6 and half inch speakers I believe. Then I had a G40 CXL with 8 inch celestions. Then a peavey renown 400. After that I acquired a crate g200 cxl. Next in line were the 2 Hartke piggybacks. Now I own 3 different fender amps, one of which is a 65 tube deluxe amp with a bad cap. I didnt realize that good tone came from good amps. I do now though. Ive owned a marshall, a park amp which was like a marshall (remember them?), I even owned an old winston tube amp with a tubeworks 4x12. Oh yeah the tubeworks combo. I dont know what happened to it!
Being basically a beginner, I only have a couple amps: Line 6 spider 3 30, Roland Micro Cube and an Acoustic 20 Bass Amp. Don't play bass but sometimes I dig the mellow tone of the bass amp with no pedals (I'm afraid I'd blow it up???). Oh and my Danelectro $20 Honeytone that clips to my belt. My teacher's been using my Fender G-Dec. Someday WHEN (not if) I get as good as you guys, I'll find a nice tube.
Quote by John5rules125
For some reason that squire looks sexy to me. What model is that?

that my good man is a '51, squier discontinued them like a year or two ago but I'm sure they can still be found. I didn't like them at first but the more I looked at it it grew on me and I broke down and bought one and love it
yup. i got a cort strat for 50 bucks. i set it up good and tweaked it some, and now its my fav. guitar.
My Main Gear

guitars
gibson sg special faded
Fender Stratocaster (turning it into the black strat relic!)
cort stat 2t
ventura (ibanez artcore lawsuit era copy)
'74 alvarez acoustic

amps
peavy transtube express 112
didnt BUY it, but played an ESP EC-50 for under $100...really enjoyed it...I think it was under $100
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Yeah everyday.

I think you like it because it was cheap. If it had a 500$ price tag you'd call it shizit.

Just by looking at a guitar's fretboard I can tell if it's garbage or not. X_X
Page 1 of 2