After looking around and watching a few builds, I decided to one of my own. And since i have a Woodshop class, thats even better. My original idea was a Firebird, but I had no way of getting plans for that, I decided to go with an Explorer. So, heres an outline of what I want it to be:

-Sapele body with a 5-piece Walnut/Maple neck thru.
-Ebony fretboard w/ 12" radius and 22 frets.
-StewMac Hot Rod truss rod
-Graphtec black Tusq nut
-No binding anywhere (a bit of a challenge for a first build i think)
-Dot inlays and side dots.
-GFS Pickups (Fat PATs), tuners, TOM and Stop-tail.
-White pickguard
-Undecided on a finish, probably Dutch Oil or matte lacquer on the neck.

Pics, sorry about the quality, its a phone camera:

Sapele:

Neck laminates:
My jointing skills are pretty bad, but its not a hard fix.

Parts pt. 1:

Parts pt. 2:

I have a few questions tho.
1. Is it possible to put a neck angle with a neck thru, so I dont have to recess the tune-o-matic or Stoptail?
2. Would a Dutch Oil finish be protective enough that i wouldnt have to redo it later on? And if I were to Tung Oil it, would I have to put anything over it? I was told Shellac, but im not sure.
3. What color would look good if I were to stain it? I was thinking red, or possibly a light white color, like a blonde, but idk how good that would look.

Ill try to show what I have for a template sometime, its hard to get pictures of things at my school.
your neck is going to be really ugly. you need to either thin down the mahogany strips, or the middle maple strip, just trust me, when you shape the neck the outside maple strips will diminish and it will look awful.

but everything else looks good.
I'm gonna go out on a limb, and say you got the sapele from LP addict?

anyways, good luck
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
^ that's a shocker.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
I got the Sapele from a local lumber yard around here. Its about 2ft. by 1.5ft by an inch and 3/4 thick i think, idr exactly, and was $35 i think. And about the neck, I was hoping to be able to mount the pickups and bridge on the neck piece, which right now is about 4 in wide. But now that I think about it, If i cut it down to neck size, the maple side strips are gonna end up pretty thin. I guess Ill take the middle strip down to 1/2 in, instead of the 7/8 in. i think its at right now. Thanks for letting me know that. If the strips are about 2 in. thick, could i put a 1 to 2 degree neck angle in it, to avoid recessing the bridge?
Small Update:
Got the neck planed to thinckness. Monday, Ill get the body traced onto the wood, then cut what i need on a table saw, and glue up the wings this week. I really need to get going on this if i wanna finish it.

Neck wood:
Where did you get that pickguard at and how much did it cost you?
My Gear
Squier Fat Strat Affinity Series
Jackson DK2 Dinky (Trans Red)
Epiphone DR-100

Fender Frontman 15w
Marshall MG50DFX
Quote by guitarcam123
doesn't look like you thinned out any of the neck lams...

Looking good though

He did the middle one

Looking god man, draw up a center line as soon as you get a chance to!
(I keep reminding people because I feel bad about forgetting about it on mine )
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.