I've never done this before, but I want to strip off the finish and black paint my guitar had when I bought it, and I want to paint something arsty on it. Whats the worse thing that could happen damage=wise. Are there any really big no-nos i should be wary of first? thanks in advance
theres nothing really damage-wise you can do by painting it.

try to keep paint out of the neck pocket as much as you can. obviously it'll build up slightly, and you dont want dimentions changing.

other than that, if you screw up, you can pretty much just start again
Buy sandpaper... lots.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
I'm currently repainting an old squier telecaster. Just make sure you have loads of sandpaper (all different gauges) and patience as the sanding takes ages lol
or you could burn the old paint of. its alot quicker. then you only have to sand for smoothness.
Quote by jymellis
or you could burn the old paint of. its alot quicker. then you only have to sand for smoothness.

I can think of at least 17 ways that that could go wrong (speaking of the worst that could happen...this idea elevates the worst to "burn your house down")

....DO IT!!!

And get a video!
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
^ that.

The worst thing that happens is that you don't finish and you're out a guitar. other than that, no matter the paint job (assuming you're not using oil paints or something), if you put it back together properly, It'll still play, it'll just look like crap and probably dent really easily.

Just make sure you take your time and read through the Ultimate refinishing sticky.
------

Shwiggity.