Hi Everyone,

I've been thinking of upgrading my current rig, and I'm not really sure what would be the best thing to purchase. I've been playing for about a year and a half now, and my current setup is as follows:

RG2EX1 (I recently replaced the stock strings with Elixirs)
Line 6 Spider III 30
Line 6 Floor Pod Plus

I mostly play metal (which is what the RG2EX1 is best suited for), but I branch off into some rock and jazz as well.

The only complaints that I have are that the cleans sound a little muddy currently and pinch harmonics (with lots of distortion) sound a little weak.

Some of the ideas that I had were to either:

A) Replace the stock pickups in the guitar
B) Get a new guitar altogether
or
C) Get a different amplifier (although with the Floor Pod Plus doing most of the tones, I don't know how much good that would do)

Any ideas?

Thanks
start upgrading your gig all together...um.... get something like this.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/TC-Electronic-G-Major-Guitar-Effects-Processor?sku=153002

ill be getting that in the mail pretty soon
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
lol i just took a look at your amp....sorry but Pac_man is right get a new amp
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
How do you use your current gear? Do you plug the Floor POD into the Clean Spider setting? Try tweaking the POD some more. If not, I would recommend upgrading the POD with something better.
Quote by JELIFISH19
How do you use your current gear? Do you plug the Floor POD into the Clean Spider setting? Try tweaking the POD some more. If not, I would recommend upgrading the POD with something better.

But then the amp will still suck.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-Flexwave-Series-FW65-65W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481058
thats a decent SS amp, i use it at practice but i also got an extension cab for it though.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BUG333212
I use that at gigs i play, hasnt let me down one bit

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-Flexwave-FW120-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481052
thats another SS amp the same as the one at the top but 120 Watts instead of 65 and it has 2 12 speakers

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-75-75W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482910
Ive used this at the Guitar Center and it played well

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=SX200

thats another that got good reviews
Quote by Pac_man0123
But then the amp will still suck.

How bad can it really suck. I mean honestly. All he needs a "usable" clean tone. If he leaves the EQ flat, it should be fine. I've played my GT-10 through cheap computer speakers, and it still sounds better than any amp I've played under $800. I don't think a Spider can be any worst than my Gateway speakers, except that the Spider is mono.
A new amp it is then.

@ Heretic_Clown: I will try to find those in a store to play them. Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks everyone. Now I just need to start saving money.
Quote by JELIFISH19
How bad can it really suck. I mean honestly. All he needs a "usable" clean tone. If he leaves the EQ flat, it should be fine. I've played my GT-10 through cheap computer speakers, and it still sounds better than any amp I've played under $800. I don't think a Spider can be any worst than my Gateway speakers, except that the Spider is mono.

It will suck. The spider's clean channel is not a real clean channel - it's a modelled clean channel.
Your computer speakers will sound 100x better.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
AMP!
budget?
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
Behringer FCB1010 Emulating a FBV Longboard
My budget looks like it will be in the 500 dollar range (although I can go a bit higher if necessary).

Thanks everyone for all of your replies
looks like you need to throw your equipment out the window and start from scratch with a nice combo amp and then a mid-level guitar ($500-700)
It's all about feel
Quote by heretic-clown
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-Flexwave-Series-FW65-65W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481058
thats a decent SS amp, i use it at practice but i also got an extension cab for it though.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BUG333212
I use that at gigs i play, hasnt let me down one bit

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-Flexwave-FW120-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481052
thats another SS amp the same as the one at the top but 120 Watts instead of 65 and it has 2 12 speakers

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-75-75W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482910
Ive used this at the Guitar Center and it played well

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=SX200

thats another that got good reviews

Dude, Crate Flexwaves suck. Hard.
your guitar isnt constructed out of bad wood, so some pups would work out nicely.
as for an amp, youll probably want to go tube. line 6 spider is utter sh*t
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by al112987
Dude, Crate Flexwaves suck. Hard.

uh...no...it dont, for a SS amp its practically decent, nothing compared to a tube amp of course, I own a Bugera 333 and yeah next to that the bugera is WAY better, but when i practice i use the Crate and it hold its own, but then again its personal preference, lots of people wanna say Line 6 sucks hard but there are lots of people who enjoy Line 6, just cause you dont like Crate dosent mean it absolutely "SUCKS HARD", you or anyone in this forum is not an "all-knowing guitar god". something can suck to one person, and actually be extreamly satisfying to another.
Ive been a fan of crate amps since 1988-89. The last few years though have been spent with Fender Performer 1000 Tube/SS hybrid and Hartke tube/SS Piggybacks. I recently bought a Fender SS. All of the guitars Ive owned have been cheap or non american made.

I dont care too much for the modeling amps. Keep it simple. Find something versatile but not with all the junk. Learning all the "stuff" on a modeling amp takes time from learning what you need to learn. Tweaking your tone is half the fun of playing. Keep your guitar, maybe put a new pickup in it, buy a good amp you can tweak simply, then jam away. Thats what I do.

Think about this: How many professionals do you know endorsing any modeling amp? Most use a real tube amp or SS amp. Their effects usually are in rackmounts or pedal form. I use a digitech gnx4 into my fender amps. Yes I use some of the amp models but as of 2 days ago I disabled the amp models now that I decided to use my Fab Tone distortion pedal.

When buying an amp, take your guitar with you. Dont use one you dont know. Just because it sounds good with this guitar doesnt mean it will sound good with your guitar. Take your time and find one you like.
A year ago I bought a Crate GX130c head at a pawn shop cheap $150 its a great solid state amp (same model used on cannibal corpse's The Bleeding) Its a great cheap amp that sounds real good. had a good lead and clean channel. I also tend to use it more then my JCM800.
take a look at your local craigslist, at that price range youre better off looking used
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
Behringer FCB1010 Emulating a FBV Longboard
Quote by bastratard
Ive been a fan of crate amps since 1988-89. The last few years though have been spent with Fender Performer 1000 Tube/SS hybrid and Hartke tube/SS Piggybacks. I recently bought a Fender SS. All of the guitars Ive owned have been cheap or non american made.

I dont care too much for the modeling amps. Keep it simple. Find something versatile but not with all the junk. Learning all the "stuff" on a modeling amp takes time from learning what you need to learn. Tweaking your tone is half the fun of playing. Keep your guitar, maybe put a new pickup in it, buy a good amp you can tweak simply, then jam away. Thats what I do.

Think about this: How many professionals do you know endorsing any modeling amp? Most use a real tube amp or SS amp. Their effects usually are in rackmounts or pedal form. I use a digitech gnx4 into my fender amps. Yes I use some of the amp models but as of 2 days ago I disabled the amp models now that I decided to use my Fab Tone distortion pedal.

When buying an amp, take your guitar with you. Dont use one you dont know. Just because it sounds good with this guitar doesnt mean it will sound good with your guitar. Take your time and find one you like.

well i correct you on one thing , Trivium and Bullet for my Valentine endorse Peavy Vypyr amps, and there modeling amps, in fact you can actually see there add on the recent Guitar World magazine. As well as Kerry King, he endorses a modeling Marshall amp, hell he even has his own signature model thats like 10 watts.

to answer something else yeah not that many famous bands out there have modeling amps and most have some sort of 120 watt tube amp with some large cabinet, but to be realistic, im not famous, nor are most people on this site, some just do large gigs which is pretty cool cause up to now ive only done a gig with a max of 450 people, i would love to be able to do a gig with about 1000 people like some have here, but anyways i settled for a bugera 333 as my gig amp cause its really the only thing i can afford so unless im being sponsored thats probably the biggest thing ill own, that plus the effect processor boards.
heretic-clown: I stand corrected. But once again, thats only three people out of how many professional musicians out there?

Ive heard about the bugera amps. Do they sound good? Ive never played one myself and no one in Savannah has one in their store that Im aware of yet.
Last edited by bastratard at Feb 6, 2009,
Quote by bastratard
heretic-clown: I stand corrected. But once again, thats only three people out of how many professional musicians out there?

Ive heard about the bugera amps. Do they sound good? Ive never played one myself and no one in Savannah has one in their store that Im aware of yet.

lol yeah its only 3 out of thousands but still counts, and yeah bugera amps are a pretty good tube amp, the bugera was actually suggested to me by some guy on here named Steven_seagull. and as of today it hasnt let me down, the one i have dosent lose its tone at high volumes at gain. I highly suggest bugera. but if you can afford it i suggest a Rivera Knucklehead Reverb EL34, its an awsome amp head and when combined with the right cab it blows almost everything out the water. but sadly ive only tried it...cant afford it