sorry if im posting this in the wrong forum, im not sure were it belongs, if its really a problem ill close it, but i want some recomandations of songs to play. nothing in the metal catagory, i want to branch out my guitar playing.
Branch out your listening not just your guitar playing and you'll find songs you love that you want to play yourself, rather than trying to absorb other peoples tastes
Quote by tastes_of_ink
Branch out your listening not just your guitar playing and you'll find songs you love that you want to play yourself, rather than trying to absorb other peoples tastes

well can you at least give me some recommandations to start off with
I take it when you say "nothing in the metal catagory" that this is your primary genre, and you are searching for stuff to listen to outside of that.

I will tell you what I know, and that is the blues.

You've got Delta Blues, Piedmont Blues, Chicago Blues, Boogie, Electric Blues, Blues Rock, and this guy was last years sensation.

Now play some guitar.
Last edited by anotherbluesguy at Feb 3, 2009,
Delta blues ftw. But outside of blues, try some....classical! Maybe try listening to something without guitar. I get inspired all the time from listening to choral music. Try and find a version of Justorum Animae, the build up in middle is more intense then any metal solo I've ever heard.
Write an original
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by anotherbluesguy
I take it when you say "nothing in the metal catagory" that this is your primary genre, and you are searching for stuff to listen to outside of that.
I will tell you what I know, and that is the blues.

Now play some guitar.

im really diggin the boogie&blues rock thanks for the recomondations

Quote by blueriver
Delta blues ftw. But outside of blues, try some....classical! Maybe try listening to something without guitar. I get inspired all the time from listening to choral music. Try and find a version of Justorum Animae, the build up in middle is more intense then any metal solo I've ever heard.

thanks will check it out tommorow
Flamenco guitar is fun and quite a load different to metal.

But yes try to listen to stuff other than metal if you wish to play stuff other than metal... if you know what I mean
You should try out some ska/punk music.

Less Than Jake
Goldfinger
Reel Big Fish
Specials
Rancid
Operation Ivy
Catch 22
Streetlight Manifesto

^ these should get you started. Should be different enough for you.

-Ryan
yeah, i have a recommendation, it's called Hooked on Phonics.
haha, jk jk i'm not a grammar nazi, but anyways, i'd say listen to

the Derek Trucks Band,
Gene Harris,
Bob Dylan (amazing songwriter),
Crosby Stills Nash and Young,
Grateful Dead, Blackwater Park (the band),
Night Sun (kind of classic metal, but not technically 'metal'),
Deep Purple,
America,
Atomic Rooster,
Emerson Lake and Palmer,
The Faces,
The Gipsy Kings (great Spanish guitar),
Kenny Wayne Shepherd (his first album),
Jethro Tull,
the Mars Volta,
Radiohead

these are just some random non-metal bands/artists that i like, and i definitely recommend looking them up if you haven't ever sat down and given them a good listen before
____________________ ___________________
..............................................I have epic fail.........................................

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=867263

Please use that. We get scores of these posts and would like to consolidate them. This will likely be merged with that thread and if that happens, please delete this post; I don't want a random report in there.

It's very unlikely that you'll get warned for making this thread, but there's a good chance of that happening if you whine about me reporting it (that applies to everyone).

*reported*
It's very unlikely that you'll get warned for making this thread, but there's a good chance of that happening if you whine about me reporting it (that applies to everyone).

Chill. Mod decisions.

As for suggestions, why not go into the "Other" music forum on UG and then just look up every band you see? I'd suggest Skinny Puppy.