Poll: Is onstage appearance an art
Poll Options
View poll results: Is onstage appearance an art
yes
26 70%
no
11 30%
Voters: 37.
Ok, so my last thread about this wasn't entirely clear on what I meant so I am going to correct it.

See, Onstage presence=art, use the searchbar if you must find it.

Ok, so my real question is, is a bands onstage appearance necessarily an art. I mean, most bands I see just go on stage in regular cloths and ****, and then there are bands like GWAR and Lordi that go out of their way to put on costumes for their live shows.

Not that that's bad, I just don't think its really necessary, people like bands because of their music, not because of what they look like. Of course bands want to look good onstage, but the costumes just seem unnecessary.

So yeah, is a bands on-stage appearance necessarily considered and art.

What does the pit think of this.

While we are on the subject, if band members are wearing T-shirts for other bands, doesn't that seem a little unethical? I don't know I just thought I would ask.
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
Last edited by RazorTheAwesome at Feb 3, 2009,
I've always been wondering why they do, But i think its cool. Slipknot looks awesome in masks. Though some black metal bands can look silly.
UG'S THRASHOHOLIC DRUMMER
WRECK YOUR NECK WITH A PASSION FOR THRASHIN
Best concert i ever went to was Flogging Molly, and they wore suits. I'm impressed when a band actually takes the time to look decent. So no, it's not art. The music is the art.
Well, music is art. But the performance isn't, really. That's not to say anyone can do it.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
Onstage Appearence is an art because it can be interpreted.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Quote by BlackandSilver
Onstage Appearence is an art because it can be interpreted.

Not necessarily, you can interpret anything.
I go to a gig to be entertained, the visual aspect of that is hugely important, otherwise you'd save your money and listen to the cds

silly boy
I focus on their playing more than how they look or act on stage, so it isn't to me. It definantly is not a bad thing when a band can play well and put on a good show though.
Quote by tastes_of_ink
I go to a gig to be entertained, the visual aspect of that is hugely important, otherwise you'd save your money and listen to the cds

silly boy

There's a lot of energy live that you miss in the cd's. I don't go to concerts to see what kind of fashion statement they're trying to make.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome

While we are on the subject, if band members are wearing T-shirts for other bands, doesn't that seem a little unethical? I don't know I just thought I would ask.

Wat
Quote by irishstang_87
There's a lot of energy live that you miss in the cd's. I don't go to concerts to see what kind of fashion statement they're trying to make.

true thats why i described the visual aspect, energy is also translated through that medium, not just fashion
Quote by irishstang_87

yeah, +1 to this guy

I go to live shows to loose control and have fun, and in some cases, mosh pits.
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Jackal58
Expression is expression. That's all. It's just another way of expressing something. Hopefully, if the music is bad, people will realize that regardless of the outfits worn on stage.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Pink Floyd shows where most definitly art. So yes i think on stage act can be art
By the power of Greyskull
Stage presence is an art just as much as dancing or painting.
The best thing about life is knowing you put it together
Quote by tastes_of_ink
true thats why i described the visual aspect, energy is also translated through that medium, not just fashion

True, but only to an extent. For bands like Gwar, their clothes, makeup, etc play a big part in the show. But for other bands, like when i was talking about the FM concert, they're just clothes.
You think that costumes are bad and that wearing other band T-Shirts is un-ethical? How would you have it then, that they all wear beige and try not to offend anyone? They might as well castrate themselves while they're at it.
Gear;
- B.C. Rich Warbeast Bloodbound
- B.C. Rich NT Zombie 5-String Bass
- BOSS GT-10 Multi Effects TANK!
...In other words, I'm taking a giant dump on fender owners who use pods.
it adds to the whole experience. look at the white stripes. they have the whole red, white and black deal. if they just wore normal clothes and ****, it would be completely different. to me it makes it more authentic cause they actually care enough to do something special on top of the music. and hey who knows, maybe it puts them in a different mindset and they can put on a better show because of it. i wouldnt call it an art but it helps. maybe like having a cool frame?
Quote by decayingdave
You think that costumes are bad and that wearing other band T-Shirts is un-ethical? How would you have it then, that they all wear beige and try not to offend anyone? They might as well castrate themselves while they're at it.

I'm not saying they are bad, I am just wondering is all?
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by decayingdave

Some male singers sound like they've been castrated already.
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
Quote by crackhutch
Some male singers sound like they've been castrated already.

King Diamond

note: I do not hate the band, just his voice
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by Beakwithteeth
So who, in the world, thinks bands wearing t-shirts of other bands is unethical? and what is the reasoning behind such a belief. That is one of the most nonsensical things I have ever heard.

I'll take that out in a moment.

I don't know, I thought it was a rights issue, since they technically are advertising other bands

edit:
^ HOLY ****!!!!!
^ WHY HAVEN'T I SEEN THAT?
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Jackal58
Last edited by RazorTheAwesome at Feb 3, 2009,
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
I'll take that out in a moment.

I don't know, I thought it was a rights issue, since they technically are advertising other bands

Maybe they like showing their influences?

I dunno, people like to know who influenced a particular band so when one of the band members wears a shirt from another band, it's showing just that.
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
Quote by crackhutch
Maybe they like showing their influences?

I dunno, people like to know who influenced a particular band so when one of the band members wears a shirt from another band, it's showing just that.

yeah but still... I guess if I was in a band and I had the option to wear another band shirt, I would do it.

Though most big name bands I've seen typically wear their own shirts. As in their own band.
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Jackal58
i definitely agree with you ts, not totally what you are saying but the basic concept of it

i was having the same discussion in my head this morning and i was thinking how one of my favorite arts are pictures of bands on stage and their actions.
For me, the appearance just helps to enhance the overall presentation. Not necessarily art, but very important for a band.
Here's what the critics are saying about Hanzi_G:

Quote by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
The only thing that makes my picture art is that there's a frame around it. But the stage lights were tinted orange and lit up the beechwood shells and cymbals. I dig it.

Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s