Hi guys

I had a question about stringing ther guitsr backward for want of a better term.
I have a Les Paul style guitar, and I ahve seen several playersfeed the strings into the tailpiece on the idise, then have the strings curve around over the top of the tail peice before then continuning on as normal throuhg the saddle etc. So basically, uinstead of feeding the strings straight throuhg the tailpice and onto the saddle as normal, instead the strings crve around the tailpeice, supposedly o reduce the angle of the strings so they don; break as much on big bends.

Does this work, is it safe to do for the guitar, and what other benfits/side effects does it have?
I think the angle when it first comes out of the tailpiece and wraps around is too much and will break easier, but alot of people do it so it must be fine
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
I believe its easier to break the strings that way, it does however create a little more tuning stability (doesnt go out of tune as much).
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
I couldn't even read what you typed dude.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
thats what i thought, also someone said you get less sustain stringin it like that as oppsoed to normally.
I do this, but keep the bigger E string (lack of better term) going straight through. It has tendencies to fall off the curved part of the stopbar and sit it's ass down next to the pole.
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
If Dimebag can't take a few bullets to the head how's he gonna be able to take a full on Kamehameha?
Quote by HendrixClaptonP
thats what i thought, also someone said you get less sustain stringin it like that as oppsoed to normally.

I would say your friend is right.
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
Quote by sesstreets
I couldn't even read what you typed dude.

sorry, my typing skills are unfortunately not as good as my guitar playing skills, does show why I failed miseralby at Piano though lol.
its actually so you can try to mimmick the tone of the original les pauls with the wrap around bridge, so in effect it is the best of both worlds . the tuning and intonation stability of a tune-o-matic but with the tone of a wraparound, thats Dan Erlewines opinion and i think ill believe that over some random UGers friend
Gear:
Gibson Explorer
1981 Ibanez Destroyer II
1982 Ibanez Rocket Roll II
Charvel(ish) San Dimas 2 (modding)
Jackson PS-4 (modding)
Squier Affinity Strat (modding)
custom made Flying V/ Iceman
Headless Steinberger copy

Hail the Hordes!!
Quote by Ashlakh
its actually so you can try to mimmick the tone of the original les pauls with the wrap around bridge, so in effect it is the best of both worlds . the tuning and intonation stability of a tune-o-matic but with the tone of a wraparound, thats Dan Erlewines opinion and i think ill believe that over some random UGers friend

Also Joe Bonamass does it, and I Think Billy Gibbons, but I am not 100% about whether Billy does it or not.
Slash anyone?
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
If Dimebag can't take a few bullets to the head how's he gonna be able to take a full on Kamehameha?
i would make little grooves for the string to sit in (with a file) so they dont slide around.

of course not on a gibson or super high-dollar stop piece...
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by HendrixClaptonP
Slash string that way as well?

YES.
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
Quote by f22master
i would make little grooves for the string to sit in (with a file) so they dont slide around.

of course not on a gibson or super high-dollar stop piece...

Maybe, but so far I ahvenlt found they slip around too much if at all.
I've done this before, but I went underneath the tailpiece and I didn't notice a big difference.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
zack wild does this
My Gear:
Epiphone Classic Les Paul
Ibanez JS1000 w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz and Pearly Gates
Alverez Acoustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss GT-8

Add Me?
Jimmy page did it not sure who started doing it originally. I do it on both my LPs never had an issue with the strings moving once they were tight. And they do break alot less than when strung normally.
Like this?

Yeah, it has no adverse affects from what I can tell, and looks hella cool.

Makes bending a bit easier too.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
I do it to my Epi LP, strings actually break less because of the reduced angle to the bridge, it looks cool, and seems to help sustain, something a guitar as crappy as mine desperately needs.