I'm looking for something interesting, around intermediate difficulty that sounds really impressive.

Can anyone think of something? And no, I will not think of something myself. Before someone suggests I simply turn introspective and "play what I want", I don't know of anything that's particularly easy and cool sounding.

Thanks in advance.
4 words for you: Every Time I Die

easy as **** but sounds awesome. i recommend "Apocalypse Now and Then", "Pretty Dirty" and "Godspeed Us To Sea".

if that's not your style, write your own songs.

ThunderKiwi
The thing is, I'm not a particularly talented songwriter. I can do scale work, but I haven't done much that sounds particularly good.
Quote by Geldin
The thing is, I'm not a particularly talented songwriter. I can do scale work, but I haven't done much that sounds particularly good.

It's like everything else you practice. You will get better with time. Start by playing some basic chords or just messing around with the scales you know. Learn more theory and you'll eventually be able to write songs the way you want them to sound.
Just play what YOU think sounds good.
You won't get better at song writing if you don't song write!

Anyways, impressive sounding songs could be many things. You could strum a few chords or shred for 5 hours. It all depends on the listener. Take a look at some Rush, Red Hot Chili Peppers or Joe Satriani's easier stuff.