I plan on modding my old guitar (Peavey Rockmaster). All I really want to do is sand off the paint and give it a new finish. I'm not really interested in changing any hardware or anything (no money for new hardware, would if I could). Just 2 questions:

• How much sand paper would I need?

• Would it be possible to repaint it without taking out the pickups?

I have no idea how to re-wire pickups or anything like that, and if its possible I want to do it without having to take them out.
Quote by U-neek
Now that is an epic win right there!!!!

I made an epic win
Jackson RR24M
PSN: Livewire410
Of course u can repaint without taking them out, just make sure theyre covered well when painting.
As for the sandpaper, itd probly depend on how hard u are on it. Shouldnt need much
I also want to do this, but also changing its body and pickups

i don't know how much does the sand paper costs
I don't think so
you'll need that thing that gets pretty hot and is used to repair circuit boards, and all those stuff (electronic stuff)....i can't remember its name
and... i think thats all you need
Quote by TieMyRope669
^ do you mean like a Soldering Iron

i think thats the name( im not from us uk or any other country were english is the official language, that's why i don't know some words or i forget the names of the things)

if the soldering iron is like a stick with a tip of metal that is very hot and you use it to repair electronic stuff, yeah
If he's not taking out the pickups, he doesn't need a soldering iron.
But I would strongly suggest taking them out, really. It's a lot easier, and it doesn't take too much to get everything back together.
Quote by Emoishboy
If he's not taking out the pickups, he doesn't need a soldering iron.
But I would strongly suggest taking them out, really. It's a lot easier, and it doesn't take too much to get everything back together.

Well, is how do I take them out, and put them back in? I'm scared i'll mess up the wiring or something and not be able to put it back together.
Quote by U-neek

I made an epic win
Jackson RR24M
Take everything out. Doesnt make much sense to sand and reapint with everything still intact. Yes it can be done but man it will take so much extra time. Sandpaper is relatively inexpensive. If it were my guitar, id use 220 to start then move on to something less abrasive once all the paint is off. I used 60 the first time I did a guitar. Messed it up thats why I say start with 220. Use an electric sander on the top and back on the sides youll have to use your hands pretty much.

get a 30 wat soldering iron first. if your guitar has a pickguard youll only need to unsolder 2 wires. If you dont have a pickguard, youll have to desolder the leads from pickups. You should be able to get everything else out without having to do anything else. when your done, just resolder everything the same way you undid it.

If you dont diagram it out on paper, go to http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiringresources to rewire it correctly.
Taking it apart will make it much easier to work with.

Use a digicam and take picture of everything as you take it apart step by step. If in doubt, take another picture. That way you can follow the pics in reverse to put it back together.

Be prepared for a lot of time and effort to sand off the old paint job.
Thanks. I guess i'll be taking out the pickups. Gonna wait til I get sandpaper before I do anything though.
Quote by U-neek

I made an epic win
Jackson RR24M