Hi guys I have a Kustom KBA30 10 watt amp.

Anyways it has been making strange noises ever since I think I tried drop C and I was slapping. Ummm.... Anyways it was making like fading noises it would be loud then fade and get quieter then the speaker would pop and the volume would be loud again. Repeat that over and over also sometimes it pops when I turn it off.

Now (currently) its making static distortion while I play.... like a light distortion but sometimes also loud. Then the worst part is when it does this nasty distortion effect while it does the fade thing and gets quieter, then pops then gets loud.

I know its a cheap ass 10 watt amp... Then again I have absolutely no money or job at the moment sadly.... been looking btw... and I cant stand not being able to play on my amp anymore! So I am willing to try everything to fix this even take it apart!
Yeah I didn't think that was fixable...... out of desperation I thought I would ask anyways.
Quote by Eviscerate
Hi guys I have a Kustom KBA30 10 watt amp.

Anyways it has been making strange noises ever since I think I tried drop C and I was slapping. Ummm.... Anyways it was making like fading noises it would be loud then fade and get quieter then the speaker would pop and the volume would be loud again. Repeat that over and over also sometimes it pops when I turn it off.

Now (currently) its making static distortion while I play.... like a light distortion but sometimes also loud. Then the worst part is when it does this nasty distortion effect while it does the fade thing and gets quieter, then pops then gets loud.

I know its a cheap ass 10 watt amp... Then again I have absolutely no money or job at the moment sadly.... been looking btw... and I cant stand not being able to play on my amp anymore! So I am willing to try everything to fix this even take it apart!

This was my first amp back in 2000. It says "Celestion speakers" on it, either the bottom of the range speakers or lies. I had the same problem, mine would hiss when I played lower frequencies...the hiss got higher, as the notes got lower. I had problems with mine since the first day I got it, buttons falling off, pots not working, the strange hiss and a lovely burping/distortion at random moments. To be fair, I think Kustom have stepped up a little recently. The problem lay in the speaker for me, the head was..okish, but the speakers were blown to shreds. I broke mine up and sold it for parts on eBay. You could try replacing the speaker, but in the long run its not worth it. I just downgraded to an amp modelling pedal and some good headphones. I look back now and start to understand that a 6"(maybe an 8"?) speaker cannot handle low Bs too well.

That's just what I done, hopefully something works out for you dude.
Its a 12 inch speaker I think, I had this amp for a year almost and its always been a good amp for me. But the worst part is the local guitar guy sold it to me for like 249$ double the price when its like 149$ on the internet! X_X we have a small town and he don't get many customers so I guess it makes sense. I wish I would have gotten a recommendation of what to buy before I got this amp way back when. I could of gotten a Warwick blue cab probably!

EDIT:

Yeah I hope something works out too! I cant seem to afford anything these days (not to share personal issues) I got a broken down car and some random bills.

Thanks for the messages guys cya
Last edited by Eviscerate at Feb 3, 2009,
Quote by Eviscerate
Its a 12 inch speaker I think, I had this amp for a year almost and its always been a good amp for me. But the worst part is the local guitar guy sold it to me for like 249$ double the price when its like 149$ on the internet! X_X we have a small town and he don't get many customers so I guess it makes sense. I wish I would have gotten a recommendation of what to buy before I got this amp way back when. I could of gotten a Warwick blue cab probably!

EDIT:

Yeah I hope something works out too! I cant seem to afford anything these days (not to share personal issues) I got a broken down car and some random bills.

Thanks for the messages guys cya

...Ahh I just read 10 watt Kustom (thinking of mine, the KBA10). This is the 30 watt with a 10 inch speaker (lulz a Celestion supposedly..).

Yea....The Warwick bluecab 30 would have been a better choice . Not much to say...I can't imagine this being a cheap fix or even worth it. I mean...if some 10" speakers (with the correct ohmage and a decent low end frequency of course) appear on eBay, you could take a punt on them and wire them in yourself. Other than that...

EDIT : You could always put it on eBay stating the problems. People like to buy little projects to fix up. Being a smallish combo, should be fine for posting aswell. Or what I done, sold my broken car and bought a new amp lol. I now have to walk and ride on public transport though lol.
Last edited by Micehorns at Feb 3, 2009,
Ohhh mine is a Kustom KBA30, 30 watt amp! I just checked, I was thinking damn this thing has some punch for a 10 watt. (when i bought it) But about my car I need it for when I get another job. We don't have buses and trains and schyte where i live! Even if we did I wouldn't want to use public transportation it would be horrible. Also all the jobs are scattered so I sometimes have to go a city or 2 away to get there.

I would put a new amp on my credit card but its maxed! yikes
The ebay thing I will most def prolly do!! but the money would have to go to bills thanks for that suggestion.

In the mean time I will just use my super imagination to make virtual bass amp with thunderous low ends and stuffs!
Last edited by Eviscerate at Feb 3, 2009,
Quote by Eviscerate
In the mean time I will just use my super imagination to make virtual bass amp with thunderous low ends and stuffs!

...Ahem, or use the headphone output?
Dude omg epic! I did not even think of that! Now I just need to find some super cheap / good headphones. Any suggestions lawl?
Quote by Eviscerate
Dude omg epic! I did not even think of that! Now I just need to find some super cheap / good headphones. Any suggestions lawl?

Sony MDR-V150

Cheapest out of the Sony range. Not bad at all, decent low end response and nice highs. Obviously not as good as Bose for example, but these are like a 10th of the price lol.
Of course not as good as boss, But very nice price! Thanks man I will ask my girlfriend to buy them for me! You been a big help man! cant thank you enough.
i use skull candy over ear subwoofer headphones...$80... they also make pretty good cheaper stuff. my ex has a pair of in ears that cost 30 and sound pretty good.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
A good set of headphones is going to cost about half of what a new practice amp is going to cost.

Why not just save up a bit longer?
Because I can not afford a practice amp even if it was 40$ that's like 20$ more than the headphones, anyways headphones would be very good since I can practice at night time and not bother anyone.