My friend is buying his first bass to learn on, and basically we just wanted to know which you guys think is the better value between these two (I guess 3 actually) options...

Option 1:

Ibanez IJXB190 Electric Bass Jumpstart Pack
This includes:
15W Tone Blaster bass practice amp
Headphones
Bag
Tuner
Strap
Cable
Separate Stand costs: $10

Total Price: $299.99

Option 2:

Yamaha RBX170 Bass
-Comes with free hardshell case
Peavey MAX 126 Bass Practice Combo
Korg GA-30 Tuner: $15
Live Wire Advantage Series 15' Cable: $13

Total Price: $277.71

Option 3:

Rogue LX200B Series II Bass Guitar $100
Peavey MAX 126 Bass Practice Combo
Korg GA-30 Tuner: $15
Live Wire Advantage Series 15' Cable: $13
Stand: $10

Total Price: $207.71

So we come to you, UG, knowing very little about bass guitar in general and certainly none of these, with our hats in hand to ask your opinion. Thanks

And we'll be playing in a full band setting eventually but have a different amp for that. The amp needed now is just for practice.

Feel free to suggest something else too.
Last edited by dolphinfan2k5 at Feb 3, 2009,
I bought the behringer back in the day, the guitar is really freaking awesome, plus the amp is good for a beginner.
Easily the second best guitarist from Oklahoma City
Quote by Micehorns
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GSR200-4String-Bass?sku=519524

+

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nemesis-N8JR-Combo?sku=481811

And buy the cables/tuner off ebay second hand.

Outta the three, I'd take the Yammy and Peavey mixture, but I still like Ibanez a lot.

The amp is too expensive for us. Like I said, we have another, this amp is just for practice when we aren't around the other amp.

What do other people think of the bass? Basically anything from $100-$200 would be ok, I just picked that one because the hardshell case would be great to have. If it is a good bass then it seems like the best deal to me.
Last edited by dolphinfan2k5 at Feb 3, 2009,
Quote by dolphinfan2k5
The amp is too expensive for us. Like I said, we have another, this amp is just for practice when we aren't around the other amp.

What do other people think of the bass? Basically anything from $100-$200 would be ok, I just picked that one because the hardshell case would be great to have. If it is a good bass then it seems like the best deal to me.

The Ibanez GSR 200 is a fantastic bass to start on. I have a lot of love for Ibanez ( I use the one 'stage up' from the 200 (the SR305) for a while). I'd go with Peavey (the amp you linked to) for that price. I can't think of anything bad about Peavey.
i vote for the yamaha or the ibanezgsr200 as mentioned above
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
I have a better one.

look at my sig.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I had a rogue. I got rid of it as soon as I could because it made me not want to play. So for that reason I'd say avoid them.

Honestly I'd fork out the extra $10 and get a Squire J starter kit.
Nothing more to contribute after everyone's suggestions for squier and the gsr 200, but I will second the notion of staying away fromt he rogue no matter what you do. I have the fretless version of that bass--both the electronics and the design of the neck are absolutely terrible. Neck is usually a subjective thing, but my rogue came with sharp edges on the neck, which I don't think is preferable to anyone (not to mention the four string rogue had a wider neck than my 5 string ibanez)
i'd say go with the yamaha.

a decent bass
a decent amp
a hardshell case is always good
a decent tuner
a decent lead

the leads in most starter packs are complete trash and won't last more than a few weeks and the tuners are usually quite inaccurate and unreliable when it comes to tuning.

personally i won't use a tuner unless it's a korg
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Alright, so there's been quite a few suggestions. Thanks everyone.

It seems like overall, most people think the Ibanez GSR200 would be the best option, with the Yamaha being the second best option. Is it worth getting the Ibanez and paying 30 more dollars (10 for a stand) and losing out on the hardshell case? It will need to be in transportation from college to home, and perhaps from home to home.
theres not really much difference in terms of quality or sound between the yamaha and the ibanez. the yamaha comes with the better accessories and is cheaper.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
theres not really much difference in terms of quality or sound between the yamaha and the ibanez. the yamaha comes with the better accessories and is cheaper.

Though I found the tone of the Ibanez to be slightly more dead than the Yamaha (they were the two basses I chose between for my first bass, I'd go with the Yamaha)
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I found the yamaha too have what appeared to be a cardboard shim, though I had no idea what that was. for that reason, I never touched it when trying out basses, understandably.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
i say go for the yamaha, i've played one and it's a good little runner. looks good too :P
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
Quote by thebasshacker
I bought the behringer back in the day, the guitar is really freaking awesome, plus the amp is good for a beginner.

thats how i started..
i would say go for the yamaha set
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Well, I guess the case deal expired with the Yamaha. We got the Ibanez GSR200 in black instead. Thanks for the help guys.